How to actually do the "Configurable TDP-down" on Intel CPUs?

virtuality

Mar 22, 2013
Sorry for the bad grammar, I did it for the folks who came from Google searches. I Googled the topic to no avail.

So, if I have a notebook with a CPU with this capability, how do I actually do the "Configurable TDP-down" thing? Say, I have - will have - this. (MacBook Pro, 13" Retina, 2015, base model)

Is there a button to press - in Windows, OS X and Linux, respectively - to switch to the lower TDP mode and save on battery life?

Last edited:

freeskier93

Apr 17, 2015
If you read the question marks regarding that feature (on Intel ARK) you will see these are not user configurable, it is up the the manufacturer to implement.

Rest assured, your MacBook Pro will automatically take advantage of these features to give you the best battery life possible.

virtuality

Mar 22, 2013
Yeah, it is clear from the question mark on Intel ARK. The AnandTech article confused me a little. I understood from it, it is user-configurable. Thanks, got it!

Dufus

Sep 20, 2010
Perhaps a BIOS option or configured through ACPI, check Windows power plan. Direct register control may also be possible if not locked down by the BIOS.

JayCLu

Apr 14, 2020
If you read the question marks regarding that feature (on Intel ARK) you will see these are not user configurable, it is up the the manufacturer to implement.

Rest assured, your MacBook Pro will automatically take advantage of these features to give you the best battery life possible.
i found out you can limit the tdpof CPU in intel XTU