How to access usb stick in router directly in windows 10?

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
I have an Asus router with usb ports. If I put an usb stick into it, how can i access this the easiest directly as a folder in windows.

Do I have to turn on network discovery and file sharing? The thing is I only want to be able to access that usb stick on my router, I don't want to make my computer accessable from the outside if not necessary.

Finally, if you have to enable discovery and/or file sharing, will people from the internet be able to access my computer. Right now my wifi is set as public network, even when i'm using it here at home. I just don't want to make my computer more vulnerable then necessary in order to access that usb stick on the router.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Might depend on which ASUS router you have, but last that I checked on my ASUS, you could password protect web and ftp shares. I suppose since it's a Windows file share you can try to right click that folder and set permissions via the OS instead.

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
I have an rt-ac68u, however I don't want to access it via the internet with that AIDisk feature. I just want to access an usb stick i insert in the router on my laptop over wifi.

I can't find any good instruction on how to do this. Is really frustrating as this seems like a basic feature.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Without looking at the manual or a device I would imagine it's like usual.

1. Plug it it router
2. Go to the section in the routers interface for sharing the USB stick and give it a share name or see what Asus gives it
3. Browse to it from windows

Or open it as \\192.168.1.1\share name

Ip and share name could be different

Once you know what it is, map it as a network drive

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
Thanks but I'm stuck at point 2. I don't for my life see how i can enable file sharing in the usb router and give it a name. Have waisted the entire day looking for this. How do i do this? I has something called "Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk" but i can't figure out the settings there. Please help.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Thanks but I'm stuck at point 2. I don't for my life see how i can enable file sharing in the usb router and give it a name. Have waisted the entire day looking for this. How do i do this? I has something called "Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk" but i can't figure out the settings there. Please help.
Section 3.5.1 in your user manual

XWqLM9u.png

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
Correct me if i'm wrong, but AiDisk is for access over internet which i don't want. I simply want to be able to access the usb drive plugged into my router via wifi (so locally) on my laptop at home. Where do i set this up to work??

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Correct me if i'm wrong, but AiDisk is for access over internet which i don't want. I simply want to be able to access the usb drive plugged into my router via wifi (so locally) on my laptop at home. Where do i set this up to work??
Literally one page down from that in your manual.

Seriously, read it.