How the Red Sox failed to sign Alex Rodriguez

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Queasy
I have friends that are Red Sox fans and were extremely upset over the A-Rod going to the Yankees thing. You'd think someone shot their dog or something. I don't see why they got upset. They only have themselves to blame for being Red Sox fans.

;)

0wn3d. They're just sore they didn't get A-Rod. If they did they'd be gloating all over the place about how they got A-Rod. Get over it.

Storm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: Nutdotnet
The Sox nor the Yanks will be in the World Series this year...mark my words.

That wouldnt be a surprise... I'd laugh if neither made the playoffs.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: BostonRedSox
Eh, pitching wins championships. They can have A-Rod. In a short series, I prefer Schilling-Pedro-Lowe against Mussina-Vasquez-Brown.

Pitching Advantage: Red Sox

Add Maddux to the Yankee rotation

Led Zeppelin

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Eh, pitching wins championships. They can have A-Rod. In a short series, I prefer Schilling-Pedro-Lowe against Mussina-Vasquez-Brown.

Don't add him yet, I see nothing that says Georgie officially bought him too.

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
I find those articles kind of funny.

The one discussing why the Sox lost him to the Yankees, makes it sound like
the 15 million dollars A-Rod said he would pay Hicks as a done deal. While
when you read the one from 12/31, on how the discussions broke up, you
get the more realistic approach in that, Selig didn't approve of it, and that
Hicks wouldn't do it unless it was public, which I don't think the Union would
have allowed. So lets not imagine that Hick wasn't looking for money in return.

I am willing to bet if the Rangers offered A-Rod for 15 million a year to the Red Sox
he would be a Sox, but they wanted 30 million. And the simple fact is
A-Rod isn't worth 30 million a year.

Oh and the revisit his contract thing is funny, while the Red Sox haven't won a world series
they have had winning season in all but 6 seasons since 1967. One might imagine
that he wouldn't be looking to diminish his contract much.

Led Zeppelin

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2002
Originally posted by: cliftonite
New Nike ad for Red Sox fans :Q

Actually, that's old. Come up with something new Yankee fans, because we'll have our share after you fail to take the World Series with your all-star team.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

Don't add him yet, I see nothing that says Georgie officially bought him too.

Hahahaha, how bitter are you? "...bought him too." Wasn't it just about a month ago that the Buttox were trying to "buy" A-Rod themselves? The hypocrisy and your bitterness are as apparent as Shaq at a KKK meeting. The Red Sox went out during the off season and "bought" themselves a pretty decent team as well. If it was the Buttox that had gotten A-Rod, you'd be sitting here bragging about how the Red Sox are unbeatable. Instead, your whining about how you guys got shafted with A-Rod and just trying to play it off.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

Oh please, BK Kim and Tim Wakefield will pitch better than Maddux. He has been getting shelled in a league with no DH for the past two years! We all know where his career is heading.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Originally posted by: SP33Demon

Oh please, BK Kim and Tim Wakefield will pitch better than Maddux. He has been getting shelled in a league with no DH for the past two years! We all know where his career is heading.

looks like a World Series Ring

Storm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 1999
As a Yankees fan... I think Maddux is past his prime... they are better served by giving the $14 million to the Red Sox just in case some one of the kind talent comes along and they are short on cash.. :evil:

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Maddux signed with the Cubs, so that's all moot.

Anyway, the bitterness towards the Yankees and how they "buy" players (as if other teams are too poor lol) is just too funny. Please pass the sour grapes. ;)

Led Zeppelin

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2002
I love how Yankee fans are now putting down Maddux, after the last two days he was supposed to be their icing on the cake after the ARod signing. Typical NY bandwagoners.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
That's ok. Yankee's will be under so much pressure to win this year that they'll likely crack and their team will
collapse on themselves. But I have no doubt that they'll rack up a few world series in the upcoming years, just not now. I think A Rod's contract is like 200 million over 12 years? His income tax could help balance NYC's budget.

Red Sox has great pitching, and that's all you really need in the play offs and world series. Just look back at the Diamond Backs when they had both Randy Johnson and Curt. Two of the most over powering pitchers in the major leagues (at that time anyway).

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Regs
That's ok. Yankee's will be under so much pressure to win this year that they'll likely crack and their team will
collapse on themselves. But I have no doubt that they'll rack up a few world series in the upcoming years, just not now. I think A Rod's contract is like 200 million over 12 years? His income tax could help balance NYC's budget.

Red Sox has great pitching, and that's all you really need in the play offs and world series. Just look back at the Diamond Backs when they had both Randy Johnson and Curt. Two of the most over powering pitchers in the major leagues (at that time anyway).

On a side note, as far as state income tax goes, the player only pay state income tax on each game they play in NY.
So only half of A-Rod's salary is taxable by New York, or maybe alittle more than half if they play this Mets this year.
He has to pay state income taxes to each state in which he plays a baseball game in. So even Mass. makes more
money by A-Rod going to the Yankees.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
I love how Yankee fans are now putting down Maddux, after the last two days he was supposed to be their icing on the cake after the ARod signing. Typical NY bandwagoners.

I'm a Red Sox fan and I think Maddux is over the hill... to reiterate, he'll be 38 in April, does not have a good fastball or curve, didn't have much movement on the ball last year, Questec is killing the extra 2 inches he was getting prior to last year, and last year he posted the highest ERA (3.96) in his career since 1987! Furthermore, he was horrid last year with runners in scoring position (2nd and 3rd) with opposing batters having a 1.17 OPS in that situation. And that was in the NL with no DH, he would get killed in the AL, especially the hard hitting AL East (if he had gone to NY).

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb

Anyway, the bitterness towards the Yankees and how they "buy" players (as if other teams are too poor lol) is just too funny. Please pass the sour grapes. ;)

Funny how you fail to realize the difference between sour grapes and having an unlimited amount of money to spend. For example, Derek Jeter makes 15 mil a year, the second highest paid shortstop (now the highest paid with ARod going to third). Is he the 2nd best shortstop, overall, in the MLB? Fvck no! Typical example of George overinflating salaries, with the end result all teams increasing salaries and raping fans at the ticket office. Have a problem with your lineup? Throw money at it! Have a problem with pitching? Throw money at it! Who cares if this eliminates parity and we lose fans! Everyone will be have to be a fan of us, b/c look we overpaid for an All Star team!

Why isn't that allowed in the NFL? Al Davis and Jerry Jones could buy out all of the best free agents in the NFL this year! Think about it, Dallas could have Duce Staley, TO, and Mark Brunell this year. Add Bobby Taylor, Champ Bailey, and Troy Vincent to the Cowboys' Defensive secondary and they would be unstoppable!

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1733652">? More people are working with their cap better. When you have teams such as the Panthers and Patriots win, you realize you don't have to pay outrageous prices for free agents to be successful. And each year, teams get better and better at managing things. ?
? Bill Polian, Colts general manager </a>
But the real question is, how is it that teams like the Titan and Patriots can be successful? Three words: Hard Salary Cap. Not a fan of the Boston Red Sox, NY Yankees, or Chicago Cubs? Well, you probably won't be watching baseball this year. There's a reason the NFL is increasing in revenue every year and MLB is in a declining state. Since you think the destruction of baseball is "funny", I feel sorry for you.

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001

John Henry's crying for salary cap...the same organization that signed Manny to the second biggest deal...and too cheap to spend an extra 12M on arod.

"look who's calling the kettle black..." rofl.

ps: i am for a salary cap on mlb, just find this amusing ;)

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: m2kewl

John Henry's crying for salary cap...the same organization that signed Manny to the second biggest deal...and too cheap to spend an extra 12M on arod.

"look who's calling the kettle black..." rofl.

ps: i am for a salary cap on mlb, just find this amusing ;)

Actually John Henry never signed Manny, he was left that deal from Dan Duquette when he bought the Red Sox.