How the Red Sox failed to sign Alex Rodriguez

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
As a Manhattanite and long time Yankees fan transplanted to Boston, all I can say is one thing....

<nelson> HA HA!!! </nelson>

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
Originally posted by: BostonRedSox
Originally posted by: MazerRackham
Hey, at least you guys still have manram! :) LOL!! NO ONE wants that guy...

Who?
Manny Ramirez! Manram! Well, that's what my buddies who are Cleveland Indians fans call him....

shiftomnimega

Feb 3, 2004
The sox didn't want to spend the money. The deal was there and they weren't willing to shell out to uber trump the yankees.

Now the yankees have done the redsocks a million times better than the socks were gonna do the yankees. Too bad for you.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Anubis
the players union said you coulden negociate for less money, isnt that it i dont wanna read

which is retarded since he was going to get rights to use the red sox logo

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
The Player's Union said it violated their collective bargaining agreement to reduce the value of a contract (which is what Boston wanted)

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Stgeinbrenner wanted to buy a World Series more than your owner did..

nuf said
Really? First off, this was a trade, not a free-agent signing. And if you look at the big picture, the Yankees are paying about $10 million a year for Arod. Gotta be crazy not to do it.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: shiftomnimega
The sox didn't want to spend the money. The deal was there and they weren't willing to shell out to uber trump the yankees.

Now the yankees have done the redsocks a million times better than the socks were gonna do the yankees. Too bad for you.

I doubt it. Last three world series teams have been full of next-to-nobodies. I'd say that in today's baseball climate an All-Star team isn't necessarily the way to go. I'd put money that the Yanks won't be in the series this year.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
.Major League Baseball also viewed it as an enormous plus for Rodriguez to be playing for one of the game's signature franchises in Boston instead of in Texas, where Rodriguez's impact was considerably smaller.

Instead, Rodriguez ends up in pinstripes. "I think it's a great day for Texas, which freed up a ton of money, a great day for the Yankees, and a sad day for baseball," said one major industry executive.

The Red Sox did not make the deal for Rodriguez, the executive said, because they were committed to adhering to a plan of financial discipline that places a premium on winning, but without losing money in the process.

"Money talks," Sox CEO Larry Lucchino said Saturday. "They reached into their treasury and made it happen."

But because the Sox were not willing to compromise their approach, Rodriguez will be wearing pinstripes. The deal impacts the Sox in two other ways: They will be extremely hard-pressed to find another trading partner willing to take on Ramirez's contract, and with A-Rod and Derek Jeter both on the Yankees, incumbent Sox shortstop Nomar Garciaparra appears to have gained tremendous leverage in negotiating a new contract with the club.

"Nomar holds the hammer now," said one industry source.

Under the terms of the deal with the Rangers, the Yankees will pay A-Rod $15 million in 2004, 2005, and 2006, $16 million in 2007 and 2008, $17 million in 2009, and $18 million in 2010. In the first four years of the contract, $1 million per year will be deferred without interest.

The Rangers will pay $3 million of Rodriguez's contract in 2004, $6 million in 2005 and 2006, $7 million in 2007, $8 million in 2008, $7 million in 2009 and $6 million in 2010.

There is an additional $24 million in deferred money the Rangers will pay on which the interest level was reduced from 3 percent to 2, with Rodriguez receiving a couple of perks -- including a suite on the road -- in exchange for agreeing to do so. In all, the Rangers will be paying $36 million in deferred cash, including money deferred from 2001 to 2003, plus the $10 million signing bonus.

Rodriguez agreed to a later payment schedule, pushing it back to 2016-2025 from 2011 to 2020.

© Copyright 2004 Globe Newspaper Company
Texthttp://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/02/16/why_sox_struck_out/

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: cavemanmoron
.Major League Baseball also viewed it as an enormous plus for Rodriguez to be playing for one of the game's signature franchises in Boston instead of in Texas, where Rodriguez's impact was considerably smaller.

Instead, Rodriguez ends up in pinstripes. "I think it's a great day for Texas, which freed up a ton of money, a great day for the Yankees, and a sad day for baseball," said one major industry executive.

The Red Sox did not make the deal for Rodriguez, the executive said, because they were committed to adhering to a plan of financial discipline that places a premium on winning, but without losing money in the process.

"Money talks," Sox CEO Larry Lucchino said Saturday. "They reached into their treasury and made it happen."

But because the Sox were not willing to compromise their approach, Rodriguez will be wearing pinstripes. The deal impacts the Sox in two other ways: They will be extremely hard-pressed to find another trading partner willing to take on Ramirez's contract, and with A-Rod and Derek Jeter both on the Yankees, incumbent Sox shortstop Nomar Garciaparra appears to have gained tremendous leverage in negotiating a new contract with the club.

"Nomar holds the hammer now," said one industry source.

Under the terms of the deal with the Rangers, the Yankees will pay A-Rod $15 million in 2004, 2005, and 2006, $16 million in 2007 and 2008, $17 million in 2009, and $18 million in 2010. In the first four years of the contract, $1 million per year will be deferred without interest.

The Rangers will pay $3 million of Rodriguez's contract in 2004, $6 million in 2005 and 2006, $7 million in 2007, $8 million in 2008, $7 million in 2009 and $6 million in 2010.

There is an additional $24 million in deferred money the Rangers will pay on which the interest level was reduced from 3 percent to 2, with Rodriguez receiving a couple of perks -- including a suite on the road -- in exchange for agreeing to do so. In all, the Rangers will be paying $36 million in deferred cash, including money deferred from 2001 to 2003, plus the $10 million signing bonus.

Rodriguez agreed to a later payment schedule, pushing it back to 2016-2025 from 2011 to 2020.

© Copyright 2004 Globe Newspaper Company
Text[L=http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/02/16/why_sox_struck_out/[/url]
]http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/02/16/why_sox_struck_out/]http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/02/16/why_sox_struck_out/[/L][/quote][/L]

Yeah, but you have to factor in the salaries that they are not paying because of it. Soriano is eligible for arbitration next year and they won't be paying Boone a nickel.

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
this is all boston's damn fault! if management wasn't such cheapasses over a measley $12M - ($12 friggin M) - we wouldn't be talking about this.

i don't know why they didn't score after grabbing schilling and foulke. idiots...the ONLY people bosox fans can blame is their bumbling ownership imo.

oh well - i'm lining up for those coveted NY v Bosox tickets :D:D:D

Led Zeppelin

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2002
Eh, pitching wins championships. They can have A-Rod. In a short series, I prefer Schilling-Pedro-Lowe against Mussina-Vasquez-Brown.

Pitching Advantage: Red Sox

Storm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: BostonRedSox
Eh, pitching wins championships. They can have A-Rod. In a short series, I prefer Schilling-Pedro-Lowe against Mussina-Vasquez-Brown.

Pitching Advantage: Red Sox

Agreed pitching does win championships...

Needless to say this is going to be a crazy season... with the Red Sox reloading and the Yankees... the Blue Jays signing Halladay long term... and finally the Orioles getting some punch into their line-up.

TheAudit

Diamond Member
May 2, 2003
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Every Yankees/BoSox regular season game this year will be like the 7th game of the WS.

More like the 7th game of the ALCS.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
I have friends that are Red Sox fans and were extremely upset over the A-Rod going to the Yankees thing. You'd think someone shot their dog or something. I don't see why they got upset. They only have themselves to blame for being Red Sox fans.

;)