How the hell do you "refurbish" a CPU? (newegg)

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Check out the second item.

I'm assuming they mean "returned." I would never buy a returned CPU. Epecially a high-end one like a XP3000.

I'll bet someone spent all that $$$ jsut to see how high they could clock that badboy...and fried it and returned it.

TourGuide

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2000
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Check out the second item.

I'm assuming they mean "returned." I would never buy a returned CPU. Epecially a high-end one like a XP3000.

I'll bet someone spent all that $$$ jsut to see how high they could clock that badboy...and fried it and returned it.

Nahh, I bet it's in pristine condition and better than new! ;)

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
Pretty sure they check them before they send it out again.

So it more than likely just doesn't overclock well.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
I have to assume someone bought it, checked how far it would overclock, then returned it.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
I've bought a ton of stuff off the refurb section of newegg...everything has come looking practically new and working as such as well...procs, mobos, cards, etc...i think its like said either stuff people got and realized they didnt need or stuff that was returned cause of DOA, newegg RMA'd...and now trying to resell it.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: tm37
Pretty sure they check them before they send it out again. So it more than likely just doesn't overclock well.

they definitely do NOT check them, other than a visual inspection.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
A fair amount are probably items used for photos or testing. Though most are probably returns for various reasons.

bootymac

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2001
Originally posted by: jjsole
Originally posted by: tm37
Pretty sure they check them before they send it out again. So it more than likely just doesn't overclock well.

they definitely do NOT check them, other than a visual inspection.

" Yep, that's a CUP alright. "

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I remember reading many of JohnnyGURU's threads where he said people would return a perfectly functional cpu thinking it was broken because they had the settings on the motherboard wrong or whatnot. If Newegg tests their returned cpu's like JohnnyGURU did, I would feel perfectly comfortable buying one.

[edit] I just read that Newegg doesn't test their returns. Eh, might be worth trying to save a few bucks.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Drakkon
Originally posted by: bootymac

" Yep, that's a CUP alright. "

LMAO--I really HOPE their at least a little better than that :p

You're right! They get out the carnuba wax and then spritz it with that new car smell!