how the hell do i hook up my dreamcast to my tv?

kermalou

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2001
i just got a new/used dreamcast from ebgames and the cable has red/white/and a weird yellow thing, what the hell is that?

JohnAn2112

Diamond Member
May 8, 2003
yellow = video, red and white = audio. If your TV doesn't have AV jacks, then you might need to go get an RF adapter for your system.

kermalou

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2001
i have a brand spankin new TV morons, but the yellow cable is not a normal cable, i think it maybe a s-video cable or something

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: kermalou
i have a brand spankin new TV morons, but the yellow cable is not a normal cable, i think it maybe a s-video cable or something

You don't know if it is or not? Hmm...does it look kinda like a PS/2 (mouse/keyboard) connector? If so, then yes it's s-video.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
You are the one who can't figure out how to hook his dreamcast up to his TV. ;)

If the yellow thing is not like the red and white things then it is an S-Video cable, although I thought yellow was supposed to designate RCA video only.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
you just got a new or used dreamcast? decide man, cmon!

while you're at it, why don't you look at your TV and guess what it connects to! what a novel concept!

man.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Woops, somehow missed that you have a newer TV.

If it's red, white, and yellow & all are RCA connections that's a standard composite video connection & you should have ports for it.

If it looks like a PS-2 connector it's s-video.

Those are pretty much the only two options.

Take a picture of it, it could be something funky like a SCART connector.

Viper GTS

kermalou

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2001
its s-video and the damn thing doesn;t want to work at all........................

i just got a pre-owned dreamcast that dont work...

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
its s-video and the damn thing doesn;t want to work at all........................

i just got a pre-owned dreamcast that dont work...

Given that you had trouble figuring out what type of connector it used, are you sure you selected the correct input on your TV?

Viper GTS