How the grinch stole labor day.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Take, for example, the sad case of the Bush family. When Poppy Bush was president, unemployment hit a generational high of over 9 million Americans. Bill Clinton, through education and hard work, put more than 3 million of those citizens back on the job.

Now Bush Junior, repeating his family pattern of joblessness, has presided over the return of unemployment for 9 million Americans.

This was not unexpected, sociologists warn us. Hard core unemployment, through failed schooling and a don't-care attitude, takes on a nearly genetic character. The acorn falls only so far from the tree. Especially when the nut falls on its head.
wtf? shrub didn't have anything to do with oil prices more than doubling at the same time alan greenspan was raising interest rates, which is what got us into this mess.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: judasmachine
no of course not /sarcasm

and BTW I'm a Texan too, love the Shiner!

the doubling happened over the course of 1999 and 2000. significantly higher energy costs plus higher nominal money costs are two things that make for a pretty decent recessionary push.

shiner rules!

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
wow. this just stinks. there are so many places that split up hours in such a way that workers have to work an additional five hours or more a week just to be eligible for technical "overtime"

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I'm sure the cheap-labor conservatives around these forums are smiling an evil little grin. Bastards! You know who you are. ;)

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
Another victory for Bush and his war against the middle class.

Someday hopefully people will wake up.

My favorite of Chao's little amendments would re-classify as "exempt professionals" anyone who learned their skill in the military. In other words, thousands of veterans will now lose overtime pay.
:|

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Ferocious
Another victory for Bush and his war against the middle class.

Someday hopefully people will wake up.

My favorite of Chao's little amendments would re-classify as "exempt professionals" anyone who learned their skill in the military. In other words, thousands of veterans will now lose overtime pay.
:|

im not holding my breath. it really is frustrating how people seem to be ok with this sort of thing. especially becuase most people i talk to seem pretty indifferent to most policies until they actually read about them. then its all just fire and brimstone out of their mouths...yet...a few minutes later, its like nothing happened at all.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It's not a huge secret that Republicans want free market capitalism (aside from subsidizing their favorite companies and industries)
Free market means employers pay whatever pittance they want, you take it or leave it. They are cheap labor conservatives. Their main goal is to provide cheap labor to the corporations. The rest of their policies are just distractions.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
There is a reason that unions started growing in the early part of the 20th Century and they will start expanding again if this is true.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Why don't you morons shut your yaps about shiner or go over to atot and start a thread. Oh sorry, I forgot we're spose to be serious and non-personal in the threads.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Take, for example, the sad case of the Bush family. When Poppy Bush was president, unemployment hit a generational high of over 9 million Americans. Bill Clinton, through education and hard work, put more than 3 million of those citizens back on the job.

Now Bush Junior, repeating his family pattern of joblessness, has presided over the return of unemployment for 9 million Americans.

This was not unexpected, sociologists warn us. Hard core unemployment, through failed schooling and a don't-care attitude, takes on a nearly genetic character. The acorn falls only so far from the tree. Especially when the nut falls on its head.
wtf? shrub didn't have anything to do with oil prices more than doubling at the same time alan greenspan was raising interest rates, which is what got us into this mess.

What do oil prices and interest rates have to do with stealing money from working people? Reclassifying workers as managers to avoid paying overtime. How compassionate.

BTW Greenspan hasn't raised interest rates. He lowered them. About a dozen times since Bush took office.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: judasmachine
no of course not /sarcasm

and BTW I'm a Texan too, love the Shiner!

the doubling happened over the course of 1999 and 2000. significantly higher energy costs plus higher nominal money costs are two things that make for a pretty decent recessionary push.

shiner rules!
Yes I do.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Um the beer, not the person..... (in fact I was unaware there were people calling themselves Shiner) ;)

But to stay on topic, I know alot of guys around here who depend on their OT. They work in a tannery and work almost 60 hours a week. And my lil bro who just got out of the navy learned his trade in the navy. He now works as a civilian on military networks, he will now be considered an 'exempt professional' and not get perks he is given now. They used to tought the military as an alternative to college for people who can't afford college, and now it will no longer be economically viable to join the military w/o going to college also. As if it was ever very economically viable to join the military.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Here's my recap of the labor situation in America today on this Labor Day 2003.

Our economy has shed somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 million jobs in the past 2 1/2 years.

Productivity is up.

Americans who still have jobs are working longer hours.

Under proposed changes to The Fair Labor Standards Act Americans will be working those longer hours for less pay as a significant number of them will be losing time-and-a-half pay for OT.

We are facing a projected $500 BILLION deficit this year.

In an effort to jump start the economy 2 multi-billion dollar tax cuts were encated.

The tax cuts didn't work because they didn't target the people who would spend the money.

The tax cuts instead only fueled the deficit.

We are spending $4 BILLION every month and need TENS OF BILLIONS more immediately in Iraq.

Estimates of the total US costs in Iraq are as high as $100 BILLION and possibly many times more.

The cost of the Iraq invasion is NOT included in the projected budget deficit.

American consumer spending has been the fuel that has kept our economic engine running.

Americans are told we don't save enough.

Americans won't be saving more while earning less.

Americans won't be spending more while earning less.

When working class people were losing blue collar jobs no one seemed to notice.

High paying tech jobs which were supposed to be the foundation of the new economy are now being sent overseas.

Now Americans are noticing.

Americans are patriotic and willing to sacrifice for their country.

American corporations are setting up shop offshore costing us and the US government millions every year in lost revenue.

Americans have lost billions of dollars in their 401K retirement accounts.

Corporate CEOs have made billions from crooked business practices.

Americans who worked and saved all their lives for their retirement are being forced to keep working.

Have a happy Labor Day.