How the Fed fueled an explosion in subprime auto loans

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Long read but worth it. I can not believe everyone in the story can be that foolish (financially speaking).

Look at the last part of the article:

Jeffrey Nelson continues to drive a bus for the Walker County school system and to work as a constable for his neighborhood. His financial struggles continue, too. "It's one hit after another," he said recently at a local mall restaurant over a dinner of bourbon-glazed chicken - some of it packed up for later. "Three days ago, I lost my iPhone. Had to buy another."

Court records show Nelson has monthly income of $1,592.97, while monthly expenses total $1,563.00, leaving about $29 in his wallet. His ex-wife got the Suzuki SUV.

He still owns a 1996 Dodge Ram pickup truck. If he can scrape together the money, he said, he'll buy blue lights and a siren to put on the truck for his work as a constable.

So much wrong and failure just from the bolded and underlined section. You can't be that ignorant and clueless, Mr. Nelson.

http://news.yahoo.com/special-report-fed-fueled-explosion-subprime-auto-loans-110501752.html

Last edited:

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Who in their right mind would take on a loan at 21% interest? Couldn't they have found a cheaper vehicle that didn't require a $10k loan? Why why why why...

Sep 7, 2009
This is a voting machine that you're seeing.

They are hand feeding these people on one end, and getting diehard fanatic voters coming out of the other.

See my signature.

Sep 7, 2009
Who in their right mind would take on a loan at 21% interest? Couldn't they have found a cheaper vehicle that didn't require a $10k loan? Why why why why...

Why? They own nothing thus have nothing that can be taken.

They do not care about anyone but themselves, and have no pride other than bragging about what kind of "stipends" they get from the government.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I'll just never understand this "logic" at all. When I didn't have any money, I simply went without. It never, not once, not even as a fleeting thought, entered my mind to go and ask for handouts, get sh1t I knew I couldn't afford, live outside of my means, etc.

These two knew they were living close to the edge, and went and bought a used car (good decision) that was out of their risk price range (bad decision). It doesn't say why they did that, I'd love to know.

Worse, they make it sound like the guy is blaming the bank/auto stealership for giving them the loan for the vehicle they should never have decided on. WTF?!?!

Chuck

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
great article. they are blaming the bank for him getting a high interest loan. when he has crappy credit and low income.

i guess they should have denied him and let him walk.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Long read but worth it. I can not believe everyone in the story can be that foolish (financially speaking).

Look at the last part of the article:

So much wrong and failure just from the bolded and underlined section. You can't be that ignorant and clueless, Mr. Nelson.

http://news.yahoo.com/special-report-fed-fueled-explosion-subprime-auto-loans-110501752.html

Well considering that the current uptick in economic activity today in the US right now is going hand in hand with the massive increase in consumer debt I am not really that surprised.

When the Fed fuels a bubble by dropping interest rates it creates the false illusion of wealth and entices people (average consumer, investors, business etc) to take risks and is debt levels inevitably increase as interest rates are pushed to at all time lows. However once the bubble pops and interest rates force themselves upward despite Federal Reserve interventionist actions in the marketplace (especially the bond market) that is when the real pain will hit home.

Additionally our current economic policy and the system itself is wholly dependent on pumping up consumer spending. The consequence of this is that debt inevitably needs to go up for GDP to rise but at the same time saving and savers are getting crapped on by central banks. Yet this is a wonderful time for bankers and creditors and all the shills they support to spout off the view that "Inflation and interest rate manipulation is good for you and America!" mantra as Americans bury themselves in debt or take unwise high risks in the markets because saving in low risk investments has been rendered pointless.

Last edited:

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
the other problem for autos was caused by obamas cash for clunkers scam. Tons of cheap cars were needless destroyed, driving up used car prices.

What I wonder, is how much of the new car sales are now these subprime people? Without these subprime loans would we be seeing an increase in auto sales?

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
the other problem for autos was caused by obamas cash for clunkers scam. Tons of cheap cars were needless destroyed, driving up used car prices.

What I wonder, is how much of the new car sales are now these subprime people? Without these subprime loans would we be seeing an increase in auto sales?

That is a very good point.

You could also say that "Cash for Clunkers" was a subsidy for automakers, credit issuers, banks, etc.

Edit: As for your second statement the importance here is not whether or not we would of seen an increase of auto sales but more would we of seen a decrease in prices and a decrease of consumer debt levels.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
That is a very good point.

You could also say that "Cash for Clunkers" was a subsidy for automakers, credit issuers, banks, etc.

Edit: As for your second statement the importance here is not whether or not we would of seen an increase of auto sales but more would we of seen a decrease in prices and a decrease of consumer debt levels.

and for those well off enough that during a huge downturn in the economy could afford a new car.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Let's blame the druggies who couldn't pass the marshmallow test in early life for their poor choices and ignore the drug dealer who willingly exploits that fact.

In its efforts to jumpstart the economy, the U.S. central bank has undertaken since November 2008 three rounds of bond-buying and cut short-term interest rates effectively to zero. The purchases of mostly Treasury and mortgage securities - known as quantitative easing and nicknamed QE1, QE2 and QE3 - have injected trillions of dollars into the financial system.

The Fed isn't alone. Central banks from Tokyo to Frankfurt to London are running their printing presses overtime. The heavily indebted advanced economies are trying to reflate their way out of the prolonged bout of crisis and recession that crystallized with the collapse of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc in 2008. That crisis, of course, followed a nearly decade-long cycle of easy money and exotic financial products that itself began with the collapse of the tech-mania bubble of the late 1990s.

The Fed's program, while aimed at bolstering the U.S. housing and labor markets, has also steered billions of dollars into riskier, more speculative corners of the economy. That's because, with low interest rates pinching yields on their traditional investments, insurance companies, hedge funds and other institutional investors hunger for riskier, higher-yielding securities - bonds backed by subprime auto loans, for instance.

Lenders like Exeter have rushed to meet that demand. Backed by Wall Street banks and big private-equity firms, they have been selling ever-greater amounts of subprime auto loans in the form of relatively high-yield securities and using the proceeds to fund even more lending to more subprime borrowers.

Expansion of the subprime auto business was chronicled in a 2011 Los Angeles Times series. Since then, growth has continued apace. Consider that in 2012, lenders sold $18.5 billion in securities backed by subprime auto loans, compared with $11.75 billion in 2011, according to ratings firm Standard & Poor's. The pace has continued so far this year, with $5.7 billion of the securities issued, compared with $4.4 billion for the same period last year, according to Deutsche Bank AG. On Monday alone, three deals totaling $1.6 billion of subprime auto securities were announced by Wall Street banks.

To make up for the risk of taking on increasing numbers of high-risk borrowers, subprime auto lenders charge annual interest rates that can top 20 percent.

The Exeter loan Nelson and his wife got, for example, carried a 21.95-percent rate. Exeter, which is majority-owned by private-equity giant Blackstone Group, assumes that one in four borrowers will default on their loan, according to an Exeter investor pitch book reviewed by Reuters.
"Exeter works with auto dealers throughout the country to help consumers who do not qualify for prime financing," a company spokeswoman said. "Exeter offers conventional financing with affordable payments tailored to each customer's individual circumstances."

A Blackstone spokesman declined to comment.
Wonder how many pension/annuity/retirement fund managers are going to buy these wonderful high yield bonds while blowing the high yield smoke up their clients asses, no need to tell you who is going to get burned in the end.:whiste:

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
and for those well off enough that during a huge downturn in the economy could afford a new car.

They were the real winners.

In other words those who can afford access to capital (mainly the wealthy) have the best means and the best ability to purchase up risk assets and take up risky investments when the burden of debt is temporarily masked and suppressed by central banks.

Edit: New cars are risk assets if a person is living paycheck to paycheck because one accident or being laid off will screw them over royally.

Last edited:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
This mindset is sweeping the nation fueled by the progressive vision for a fair, just and equal society. Our only hope is to change this at the ballot box. Unfortunately, we've passed the tipping point. Ramrod immigration reform through and it's lost for good. It then becomes time to start thinking where in the world you'll be welcome where you can stay a few steps ahead of this type of idiocy. No such place exists.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Predatory lending at its finest and even at the behest of the government, no less. Nice.

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
Cry me a fucking river. DON'T BUY SHIT YOU CAN'T AFFORD! The dude obviously has enough cash to buy a $600 smart phone. For what? Lots of important business meetings about your fucking bus route? Not to mention the $50/month plan for it.
People are not forced to take these loans. People don't need new vehicles. Lenders are making calculated risks to make money. Don't most of us do that? I'm sure some actuary told them that they needed to charge X amount if 1 in 4 people default. I don't see the issue.