How stable is the U.S. dollar?????

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
I know we've been suckin' compared to the Euro lately, but I also know we're still on the positive side in places like Canada........soooooo.......

After my buddy ribbed me about how more & more places around the world are frowning on the dollar (I believe a lot of 'junk' type debt is in dollars & maybe that's what he meant, but I just kept my mouth shut)..........

Would it be possible for the U.S. dollar to completely go away outside of a domestic tragedy???

:confused:

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Your buddy is an idiot. The US Dollar is the most widely used currency in the world, the currency on which most other currencies are based.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Yeah, slap your friend with a stack of bills and tell him how real it is!

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
You friend is an idiot. American currency is the most widely used currency in the world. Sure, the Euro is strong, but it's not going to take over the dollar.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Honestly, it doesn't matter. Currency is just a representation of how much one values things. Its like saying British people weigh less than Americans because Americans say the man weighs 150 pounds, and the British say he weighs 3 stone.
In short, are you really serious?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
China switches to euro and then ....

I have no idea what I am talking about and I say it when I know for a fact I don't.

I am not an econ major but i have enough common sense to know that would be disaster for China.

I'm just trying to post something else other than your friend is an idiot

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: redgtxdi
Would it be possible for the U.S. dollar to completely go away outside of a domestic tragedy???

:confused:

No, if the US adopted another countries currency we'd lose control of too many aspects of our economy. The money supply, inflation etc.

Fern

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Well, this same forum has also been the place that's laughed at the idea that the U.S. is so vain as to think it will be around forever.

Where would the dollar be spent if we aren't around to represent it anymore???

Furthermore...........what if other world banks decide to only identify the Euro???

Is it only because we buy so much from the rest of the world???

Is it only because we're in debt up to our elbows w/ the rest of the world's money?? (represented in American dollars??)

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
As most have said, the U.S. dollar is basically the global standard by which all other currencies are measured. Many countries actually spot their currencies relative to the current rate the U.S. dollar is trading at (partly because its so stable, but also because many countries except U.S. dollars as legal tender).

The current HUGE deficit in the balance-of-payments or the trade deficit threatens to devalue the U.S. dollar in the future. But thats not necessarily a bad thing.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: GuitarDaddy
The Peso rules all! The next great world currency!
Viva la Peso!!!

Ha ha ha...very funny. The dollar will continue to be the main world currency. The US is too powerful and is one of the world's oldest actively used currencies...the Euro, while strong might not work becuase while there is a surplus in Germany, there might be a recession in Italy and France. This is why the Swiss and the Britans refuse to adopt the Euro. The Swiss Franc is an important currency many people forget about....