how soon until

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
you don't erase memory cards. They are almost getting cheap enough that you could shoot and save the card rather then reusing them. I can get about 100 raw photos on a 1 gig card at 10- 15 bucks a card that is almost in the ball park of film.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
never. thats just wasteful. besides, that's not organized at all and I hate clutter

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
I agree with never. Besides lacking organization on cards, the data is also at risk for permanent loss / destruction. Once on my computer, the data that makes up my photos is much, much safer than when it's on SD cards.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Never. That's just wasteful. What would the point be? I have a whole bunch of 8-32MB SD cards tho, it's very annoying. They just recently found use as backups for my Wii save games.

And while we might be approaching the cost of film.. the body is still far more expensive (well, for SLR's) so I gotta save where I can :)

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Although everyone's saying wasteful, if they get much cheaper, wouldn't it be a convenient back-up? i.e. load the images on to the computer, burn DVD's or whatever, but toss the SD card into a drawer someplace, "just in case."

Anyone know how long SD cards will hold data before errors start popping up?

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Although everyone's saying wasteful, if they get much cheaper, wouldn't it be a convenient back-up? i.e. load the images on to the computer, burn DVD's or whatever, but toss the SD card into a drawer someplace, "just in case."

Anyone know how long SD cards will hold data before errors start popping up?

I suppose it could be. But you're not going to beat the HDD $/GB ratio very soon :) I'd rather put the money to online storage, just in case shit really hits the fan.

Altho, it would be interesting to see... if buying and saving flash cards is more environmentally friendly than buying and running a HDD... taking all counts of production and such into account.

I want to see built in wireless USB 2.0+ in SLR's first. Or even better.. tether to your cell data signal.. then upload as you shoot to an online service that replicates your data and does the backups for ya (smugmug like)... yeah..

imported_Truenofan

Golden Member
May 6, 2005
personally, your better off getting a external drive something like 300gb, using it for ONLY photos when you have new ones, save it on that, and store it somewhere, where it wont be damaged by humidity or magnets of some type or another, and whip it out when you need it again...better than optical since optical can be scratched and you lose the data.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Never. 1GB gets me around 65 shots, and I doubt images are going to get smaller anytime soon.