How should I set up my partitions.......AND......"Standard" Win2000 Tweaks

Bleeding Jawa

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
I just finished setting up Win2k on my primary machine. This is my first installation of W2k, as I have used 9x for the sake of familiarity until now. Before I install everything, I have a couple VERY general questions.

Here's my basic setup: P3 on a ASUS P3V4X; FastTrak66 RAID-0 with two 20GB Maxtor Drives; 512MB RAM; GeForce 256; NIC; cable-internet with network set up behind router.

1. I had a lot of trouble getting 2k installed with this FastTrak RAID setup, so once I got something rolling, I just installed...not paying attention to partitions or anything. I have w2k installed on One Big Striped 40GB Partition (Fat32).
My question is: What do you all suggest I do with my partitions? I have a copy of Partition Magic that I can use for this purpose, but I am not very well-versed in partitioning.

2. There are a number of "standard" tweaks that I aways make after installing Win9X...what sorts of "basic" tweaks should I be sure to do for 2K? I know some people could go on forever here--I won't burden you with an entire Windows 2000 Tutorial--but what are some of the more standard performance and/or stability and/or security tweaks that I should definately implement right away?

Thanks for the help. :D

HansXP

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2001

<< I had a lot of trouble getting 2k installed with this FastTrak RAID setup, so once I got something rolling, I just installed...not paying attention to partitions or anything. I have w2k installed on One Big Striped 40GB Partition (Fat32).
My question is: What do you all suggest I do with my partitions? I have a copy of Partition Magic that I can use for this purpose, but I am not very well-versed in partitioning.
>>

If you want a data partition, go ahead and make one, but otherwise, one big partition works really well (atleast IMHO)

<< There are a number of &quot;standard&quot; tweaks that I aways make after installing Win9X...what sorts of &quot;basic&quot; tweaks should I be sure to do for 2K? I know some people could go on forever here--I won't burden you with an entire Windows 2000 Tutorial--but what are some of the more standard performance and/or stability and/or security tweaks that I should definately implement right away? >>

One of the biggest ones is to disable services you don't need. You do this by going to Control Panel - Administration Tools - Services. See this page for a list of services and what they do, so you can see which you need and which you don't. Beyond that, it's pretty much like 9x.