How sensitive are SD cards to static shock?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JEDI, Nov 7, 2009.

1. JEDI

JEDI Lifer

I picked up my 8gig sd card (not mini-sd), and had static shock.

Popped it into the camera, and all pics were readable.

How sensitive are SD cards to static shock?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - sensitive cards static Forum Date
    USB Flash Drives For Storing Sensitive General Hardware Aug 13, 2010
    Time sensitive problem: Help me pick out a DVD burner from Newegg General Hardware Nov 12, 2007
    Microphone Sensitivity TOO sensitive with XP. Perfect w/Vista General Hardware Jul 18, 2007
    I need a super sensitive access point...how do I know which to get? General Hardware May 22, 2007
    New nVidia card affecting my mouse sensitivity? General Hardware Oct 23, 2001

3. somethingsketchy

somethingsketchy Golden Member

This particular incident is certainly a lucky one. I'd certainly wouldn't try it again since there is an exposed contact to where the card reader makes a connection with the SD card. Perhaps the static shock only occurred to the plastic shell and not to the contact.

Again this is something I would try to avoid if I were you. You only get lucky once in a while with these kinds of things...

4. yh125d

yh125d Diamond Member

The static must have gone to the contacts, its not possible to get shocked by plastic ;)

I've carried SD cards around in my pocket, washed in the washer (and subsequently dryer), stepped on them, etc. They're pretty tough