How safe am I paying by paypal from a guy in a forum?

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
I'm thinking of buying a i95c phone from someone on the howardforum.com.

If I pay by paypal and I get screwed by him, what recourse do I have? Will paypal help me in this case? How long does it usually take for them to take a claim or finish a claim?

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Will he ship first? YMMV with paypal depending on the circumstances so I wouldn't depend on them too much.

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Unfortunately, I don't believe he will. Just wondering if he doesn't ship, if I have any real chance of getting my $ back.

Would it be better paying by CC funds rather than bank funds?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
If its a verified customer and address paypal will usually be helpful in resolution. If it's out of the country you have no chance regardless.

With CC payments your CC vendor's reputation is what matters some will resolve problems instantly, some make you jump through hoops, but most the bottom line is you don't pay unless satisfied.

if they don't pay I hit them with a brick like deebo got.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Link

Money Back Guarantee

Safeguard your online purchases with PayPal's Money Back Guarantee.

When you make a payment on the PayPal website, you can now buy a Money Back Guarantee to protect your purchase of physical goods on selected transactions. If you purchase the Money Back Guarantee, you will have the option to return your merchandise to PayPal in exchange for a reimbursement (not including the Guarantee fee), provided that you file a complete reimbursement request within 30 days of payment.

The Money Back Guarantee will only be applicable to U.S. buyers on physical goods transactions for less than $1,000 with selected sellers. PayPal may take additional criteria into account in deciding whether to offer the Money Back Guarantee on a particular transaction.

You will know if a transaction qualifies when you get to the Confirm Payment Details page. If we are offering the Money Back Guarantee, you will see a check box quoting the price of the Guarantee for that transaction. Just click on the box before you send payment. For more complete information about the Money Back Guarantee and its specific exclusions and fees, please go to the Money Back Guarantee section of the User Agreement.