How powerful is your lawnmower?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eviltoon

Jun 22, 2001
I just got a beautiful Lee Valley 17" push mower. This thing is a piece of cake to push and cuts like a nothing I've ever seen.

Ummm, by push I mean completely manual. Non electric, no gas. Just alot of whirling blades

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
I have an electric lawnmover, and it's pretty sweet. My lawn isn't too large, and the mower is basically maintenance free. You just have to be sure not to run over the cord!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I use a cheap-o b&s 3.5hp on my 1/2 acre yard. Good exercize.

What I want to know is: who else has a psychodelic lawn? Yaknow, the kind you can actually watch growing? :p

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
not exactly how powerful since it is electric and runs on cord (our frontyard doesnt have enough grass area to justify gas powered) but it gets the job done

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Eli
I have an old self propelled 20" mower with a Briggs and Stratton 3.5HP.

I'll quote some comments I made in another thread;

That's what's going to happen to our lawnmower one of these days. The poor little Briggs and Stratton 3.5HP is worn out and doesen't develop any power at the normal "high" speed of 2900rpm, so I shortened the govenor spring and it cruises along at 3700RPM when mowing the lawn now. :p And even then it will die when you go too fast into a large patch of grass.

I just hope it doesen't throw the rod at me, projectile-like. :Q That would kinda suck.

As long as it doesen't put a hole in the crankcase, which it most likely will, I have a spare rod I'll throw in it for another season or so of (ab)use.

I'm already running 20W-50 in it, cause the rod knock is quite noticable with 30weight.. heh.

It's kinda almost a game. See if we can notch the abuse up a tad while still having it last the mowing season. I estimate 2 mows/month for the next 6 months. That's about 10 hours of operation... lol.

I think the reason that it dies so easily is more of a function of the blade being about as sharp as a brick... :p

3700 rpm should be fine for that engine. the govener is set like that so the blade dosen't spin off and KILL you.....

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: OrganizedChaos
Originally posted by: Eli
I have an old self propelled 20" mower with a Briggs and Stratton 3.5HP.

I'll quote some comments I made in another thread;

That's what's going to happen to our lawnmower one of these days. The poor little Briggs and Stratton 3.5HP is worn out and doesen't develop any power at the normal "high" speed of 2900rpm, so I shortened the govenor spring and it cruises along at 3700RPM when mowing the lawn now. :p And even then it will die when you go too fast into a large patch of grass.

I just hope it doesen't throw the rod at me, projectile-like. :Q That would kinda suck.

As long as it doesen't put a hole in the crankcase, which it most likely will, I have a spare rod I'll throw in it for another season or so of (ab)use.

I'm already running 20W-50 in it, cause the rod knock is quite noticable with 30weight.. heh.

It's kinda almost a game. See if we can notch the abuse up a tad while still having it last the mowing season. I estimate 2 mows/month for the next 6 months. That's about 10 hours of operation... lol.

I think the reason that it dies so easily is more of a function of the blade being about as sharp as a brick... :p

3700 rpm should be fine for that engine. the govener is set like that so the blade dosen't spin off and KILL you.....

3700RPM is definately not okay, they're only rated to 3600rpm, and even then thats maximum output... recommended is around 2800-3200RPM.

I don't care though. When the engine dies, I'll just rebuild it or put another one together for it. :)

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
My Tecumseh was 5HP before I added the "Type R" badge.
Now, who knows how much it could be.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: eviltoon
I just got a beautiful Lee Valley 17" push mower. This thing is a piece of cake to push and cuts like a nothing I've ever seen.

Ummm, by push I mean completely manual. Non electric, no gas. Just alot of whirling blades

That's why I put "0" on there.. ;)

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
It's a cheapo B&S 3 HP non-self-propelled piece of sh!t. The rear right wheel keeps coming off and needing bolted back on, and the handle is very loose. :|

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Generally I use a 15hp riding mower (2 acres) except one time that was broken and I couldn't start the honda self propelled (like 5 hp or so I think, maybe a bit more) so I tried using hedge clippers LOL

Mungla

Dec 23, 2000
I guess I'm out of this. We have 7 acres to mow every weekend. I mow using a 44hp John Deere tractor with a 72" finish mower. We then have a 22hp 54" riding mower. Ohh the fun.