How on earth can Romney be running such a god awful campaign?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
I mean this guy was CEO of Bain Capital. You don't get to that kind of position without some form of mental competency, and yet his campaign has been run worse than even John McCain's was 4 years ago.

He's got no direction, flip flops every day, outright lies at every opportunity. It baffles me how someone as smart as he ought to be can run such a horrible campaign. I often feel that campaigns are the best indication of how a candidate will perform if elected. If Romney's is any indication this guy would be a complete train wreck.

It is called "fitting a square peg into a round hole" pandering to the cretins that make up the voting base of the party.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It is called "fitting a square peg into a round hole" pandering to the cretins that make up the voting base of the party.

I agree. The Republican party finds itself in the envious position of having become so insane that only a lunatic or one pretending to be one can win the nomination and excite the base to go to the polls to vote. The result of course, is that fewer and fewer folk will find them appealing since it takes a huge amount of brainwashing to maintain that level of insanity. The young, inevitably curious and exploratory, are going to go to places like college and listen to music and social media and maybe catch a horrible reality virus somewhere. Republican thinking is primitive and insular rural thinking and the world is becoming a global city where the speed and number of impacts, sensory inputs, form far more complex and sophisticated neural nets. Humanity is evolving and the Neanderthal party is experiencing the rage of their inability to adapt. An inferior form of mentality is on the way out.

The cowboy is dead. Long live the metrosexual.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
To be fair there are still quite a few cowboys, and there are Democrat cowboys... Just as there are Republican metrosexuals.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
But what can he run his campaign on? He doesnt stand for anything that people can understand. As soon as you think you might he flip flops and says the exact opposite.
That is why I think of him as Kerry 2.0

And I do not recall many republicans liking him very much. But he ended up winning the nomination because he was the most electable of the bunch. Now the same people bashing him during the primaries are reluctantly backing him. It has that "anybody but Bush" feel, and we all saw how that worked out.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
That is why I think of him as Kerry 2.0

And I do not recall many republicans liking him very much. But he ended up winning the nomination because he was the most electable of the bunch. Now the same people bashing him during the primaries are reluctantly backing him. It has that "anybody but Bush" feel, and we all saw how that worked out.

It's as if every other election cycle one side decides to run a horrible campaign. The Reps went 2 for 2 this time though. Romney would come out better if he never spoke. At all.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
*How on earth can Romney be running such a god awful campaign?*

Because he probably doesn't feel comfortable pandering to the batshit crazy/stupid base of the GOP, but he obviously feels like he has to in order to win. That's why he's been flip flopping on hyperdrive.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
*How on earth can Romney be running such a god awful campaign?*

Because he probably doesn't feel comfortable pandering to the batshit crazy/stupid base of the GOP, but he obviously feels like he has to in order to win. That's why he's been flip flopping on hyperdrive.

well, if he doesn't want to pander to the base of his party, he just insulted the 47% that he believes are Obama voters.
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/09/17/romney_explains_obama_voters.html
Said Romney: "There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what...These are people who pay no income tax."

He adds: "My job is is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

Romney has got to be the worse candidate for the major party nominee for President since ??? This is the last man standing in the GOP ... please turn out the lights.

Last edited:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Edit: Beaten to the punch by the poster above.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...dependent-government-203717421--election.html

Make sure that nobody is watching when you talk about this stuff! ;)

So the 47% of people who don't pay "FEDERAL" income tax depends on the government? How so Mr. Romney?

Does he really think that ZERO of that 47% who don't pay "FEDERAL" taxes vote for the GOP?

Loose lips sinks ships comes to mind....

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2007
well, if he doesn't want to pander to the base of his party, he just insulted the 47% that he believes are Obama voters.
Said Romney: "There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what...These are people who pay no income tax."

He adds: "My job is is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

Romney has got to be the worse candidate for the major party nominee for President since ??? This is the last man standing in the GOP ... please turn out the lights.
He phrased it in an embarrassingly stupid way, but he does have a point; lower taxes is a message that is not going to resonate with people who don't pay federal income tax to begin with. The problem is he seems to think that anyone who doesn't pay taxes is freeloading off the government, and that's just impossibly stupid. He's coming right out and saying that nearly half the country is composed of irresponsible fuck-ups. What a complete asshole.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
Does he really think that lower working class people who get all of their federal taxes refunded

"believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it."

That is incredibly stupid thing to think and to say out loud. I know the guy hs never been working class, but has he really never spent time with a non-rich family? My single mom raised two boys working two jobs and was probably one of those 47%. In no way was she freeloading or expecting the government to give her anything.

What an asshat.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000

Turn out the lights.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
That is incredibly stupid thing to think and to say out loud. I know the guy hs never been working class, but has he really never spent time with a non-rich family? My single mom raised two boys working two jobs and was probably one of those 47%. In no way was she freeloading or expecting the government to give her anything.

What an asshat.

She should have asked santa for boot straps so she could get her shit together and make 6 figures like the rest of us. Couldn't she just borrow a few million from her parents and start a company?

Oct 30, 2004
I kind of wonder if some of the Republicans might be hoping that Romney loses--for fear of how he might embarrass the party long-term if he became President.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
So all this just fucking terrible campaigning brought me to a hopeful conclusion: What if Mitt goes into the debates just straight-up not giving a fuck and just hammers the president and makes him answer for all of the actual things he is doing or hasn't done, regardless of where Romney's supposed to fall on the issue ideologically.

I'd like to see the President explain the policies that he's following from the Bush era, why he allowed so much concession into the healthcare overhaul rather than pushing for single-payer, and what the hell he plans to do with the next four years.

I'd like Obama to win in November. I'd also like him to live up to his promise as a President.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Let's see. The U.S. is getting it's credit downgraded again. We have a dead Ambassador caused by radical Muslims. Terrorist Muslims have attacked the U.S. command MFO base in the Sinai and are murdering people. The White House is cutting almost $55 billion in defense spending. We're getting huge numbers of terrorist threats in this country including those to nuclear facilities. Yet you seem to think that somehow the Romney campaign is screwing up? Nice try.

Do people really use this kind of logic? This is a great troll post but if you're actually serious let me laugh in your face now.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
I have voted for a Republican presidential candidate since I first started voting. Was a bit tough with Bush the second time and I regret voting for McCain but I still did it. I justified it by voting for the lesser of two evils or a turd sandwich instead of a giant douche.

When Romney showed up I wrote him off long before he even got the nomination. He's like every bad sales person I've seen at work. He can't understand why his sales numbers are so low even though I keep yelling at him to stop saying one thing to one customer and another to the next. He's really the poster child for the worst sales people out there. He's the used car sales person of the political world today.

This guy has probably been in an environment his whole life where he talks on the phone to his customers and can say anything he wants to make a deal. His customers never meet and never know what he says to the next guy. Suddenly he's in the spotlight and that REALLY doesn't work. The best sales people don't have to make up so much bullshit. You have a product that you believe in and you sell it with your great personality. Romney doesn't have that. Reagan did. Bush did. Clinton did. Obama does.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
John Stewart had an interesting point tonight. Imagine what Romney would say if he drank alcohol.
He's probably that guy who gets really hyper when drunk and starts telling a bunch of hardcore racist jokes that are actually funny.

When Romney showed up I wrote him off long before he even got the nomination. He's like every bad sales person I've seen at work. He can't understand why his sales numbers are so low even though I keep yelling at him to stop saying one thing to one customer and another to the next. He's really the poster child for the worst sales people out there. He's the used car sales person of the political world today.
Man, you have no idea. I've had to work for people like him. It's brutal. They'll say do X then they're totally shocked that you did X. I wanted you to do Y! You redo the whole thing. It turns out he actually did want X so you'll need to redo that again.