How on earth can Romney be running such a god awful campaign?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Why would a Obama supporter care if Romney was running an awful campaign? Seems like you would be happy to see this happening.

So is this thread because you subconsciously fear that Romney's campaign is gaining traction? Or is it just a weak sauce troll thread?

Wouldn't having two stellar candidates competing to be the best representative of our whole country yield the best outcome for everyone?

Instead we have this.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
cartoon_091412_AA.jpg

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Yeah, but you've been complaining non-stop for 3+ years about this president. Surely he's so awful that only a complete and total failure of a candidate couldn't easily brush past him and right the nation... right?

I think that's a big part of the problem, to be honest. The rather, uh, enthusiastic way a lot of Republicans seem to be going after Obama could very easily backfire. If their whole argument is that he's the worst President in the history of the universe and he doesn't come off that way to most people, that's only going to hurt the Republicans. And in particular, attacking him on EVERY single issue is probably a mistake since it makes the campaign seem less like it's about genuine policy differences and more like Republicans just hate Obama with mythic fury. Going after him on Obamacare? Fair enough, that's an honest point of contention. Going after him on bin Laden? That's just silly, and political, and that's exactly how it looks.

Binarycow

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2010
Let's see. The U.S. is getting it's credit downgraded again. We have a dead Ambassador caused by radical Muslims. Terrorist Muslims have attacked the U.S. command MFO base in the Sinai and are murdering people. The White House is cutting almost $55 billion in defense spending. We're getting huge numbers of terrorist threats in this country including those to nuclear facilities. Yet you seem to think that somehow the Romney campaign is screwing up? Nice try.

It is ungodly screwed up considering all the stuff you listed that Obama has botched and yet Romney is still behind in the poll. What does that say about his campaign?

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Because he never intended to change the mind of the hardcore Obamites that infect this forum.

The way he's going he may not even reach middle of the road voters who actually decide the elections...

This might be a case of Citizen's United biting the Republican Party in the ass.

The nomination was bought by a person who is considered by some to be only a RINO... and many would rather have another nominee but those other contenders didn't have the resources he did...

well maybe Herman Cain did, but his interview style with prospective employees apparently left a little to be desired...

Looking-Bad.jpg

Last edited:

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
I suspect that Romney's also just not listening to his advisors. You can give your candidate all the advice in the world, but he doesn't have to follow it. That's how the tax returns thing has to have gone down - Romney drew a line early, his advisors HAD to be smart enough to see that releasing them all after he won the nomination was best, but he's stubborn and doesn't like the little people dictating to him. That's the only narrative that makes sense to me. Every campaign is going to get gaffes here and there, but Romney's has had a number of errors that are unforgivable precisely because they're completely unforced. He could have released his returns months ago. He could have waited 12 hours to release a statement about Libya. He could have vetted his convention speakers to be on-message all the time. And on and on.

I don't want him to be president, so I'm not that unhappy with it, but I'm also aware he could become president, so I'm very unhappy with the prospect of someone so unfocused and incompetent at this political game (while obviously being very competent elsewhere) being so close to the White House.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Maybe, maybe I've been too hard on the Obama. Maybe I just haven't given him a fair chance. It could be that my own prejudices and biases have kept me from seeing what a truly awesome job he has done as our chief executive. Maybe I just haven't given him a fair chance. You know the kind of fair chance that the Democrats and liberals gave George Bush in 2000.

LMAO you fucking hypocrites.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Maybe, maybe I've been too hard on the Obama. Maybe I just haven't given him a fair chance. It could be that my own prejudices and biases have kept me from seeing what a truly awesome job he has done as our chief executive. Maybe I just haven't given him a fair chance. You know the kind of fair chance that the Democrats and liberals gave George Bush in 2000.

Maybe you are so delusional you don't actually know how to ask the right questions and punch your way out of a paper bag of your own making. Think of it this way. Maybe you're actually blind and think you can see and every thing you see is a delusion. Maybe you don't actually know anything and your real problem is that you have no real humility. You can't go to a place where you can seriously and modestly question your own sanity. Maybe you are like a tea cup that is full of bull shit and nobody can pour you any real tea. Start by not using the word maybe when referring to your bias and prejudice. There is no maybe about it.

And don't forget. Even if the world is full of fucking hypocrites, that fact will not help you.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Maybe you are so delusional you don't actually know how to ask the right questions and punch your way out of a paper bag of your own making. Think of it this way. Maybe you're actually blind and think you can see and every thing you see is a delusion. Maybe you don't actually know anything and your real problem is that you have no real humility. You can't go to a place where you can seriously and modestly question your own sanity. Maybe you are like a tea cup that is full of bull shit and nobody can pour you any real tea. Start by not using the word maybe when referring to your bias and prejudice. There is no maybe about it.

And don't forget. Even if the world is full of fucking hypocrites, that fact will not help you.

Thanks Moonie, I needed your post to stop my chuckling. The world is a serious place.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Let's see. The U.S. is getting it's credit downgraded again. We have a dead Ambassador caused by radical Muslims. Terrorist Muslims have attacked the U.S. command MFO base in the Sinai and are murdering people. The White House is cutting almost $55 billion in defense spending. We're getting huge numbers of terrorist threats in this country including those to nuclear facilities. Yet you seem to think that somehow the Romney campaign is screwing up? Nice try.

The white house should be cutting 500 billion in defense spending... why would cutting a measly 55 billion be bad? We spend 40% of the world's military while being 4% of the population and are surrounded by the 2 largest oceans and 2 safe countries... meanwhile china, with 1 billion people, surrounded by pakistan, NK, and Russia spend only 8% of the world's military.

Last edited:

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

Democrats are middle/right. There is one "liberal" in the entire senate. "Liberals" don't exist for all intents and purposes in the US political landscape. Stop blaming a phantom group for your troubles.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Democrats are middle/right. There is one "liberal" in the entire senate. "Liberals" don't exist for all intents and purposes in the US political landscape. Stop blaming a phantom group for your troubles.

*pat, pat, pat* good boy.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
The best political operatives know he has no chance and are thusly not wasting their time, energy and good reputation. He has second rate help and it is showing.

The host of The Young Turks pointed this out too. The republican convention seemed to have nothing to do Romney, and many of the speakers were speaking as if they were the one running for office. Word around the camp fire also says that Romney has a history of running dirty campaigns, so the republicans who run against him absolutely hate him.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
*pat, pat, pat* good boy.

Got nothing? Didn't think so.

They don't agree with us! They MUST be the opposite extreme.. let's paint them as "liberals." "But, they are using our ideas from 15 years ago!" "So what! We paint all the opposition as the extreme to justify how fringe we have become!"

Sorry that you fell for it.

I can't remember the last piece of "liberal" legislation even proposed, let alone put up for even a SYMBOLIC vote! Feel free to point one out!

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Because the brilliant ideas he had to campaign on to win the Repub nomination are in stark contrast to the herpa derp dumbass shit someone needs to spin to win the national election.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
The quote in the cartoon summarizes Romney's whole campaign.

He is just an unlikeable amorphous blob that keeps repeating Obama bad, Obama bad, Obama bad...

Jack Welch (former CEO of General Electric) marveled at how well run Obama's campaign was run in 2008, saying it was a maestro CEO type performance by Obama. Welch did not agree with Obama's vision for America, but he was mightily impressed at how well he ran his campaign apparatus.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Right.

Supporting no-fault divorce is a conservative idea?

Supporting gay marriage is a conservative idea?

Supporting 40% of children being bastards is a conservative idea?

Supporting government funding for abortion is a conservative idea?

:hmm:

Nov 29, 2006
But what can he run his campaign on? He doesnt stand for anything that people can understand. As soon as you think you might he flip flops and says the exact opposite. He is the worst candidate from any party in my 39 years of life so far. He makes Bush look good...wow cant believe i just typed that.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Right.

Supporting no-fault divorce is a conservative idea?

Supporting gay marriage is a conservative idea?

Supporting 40% of children being bastards is a conservative idea?

Supporting government funding for abortion is a conservative idea?

:hmm:

90% of the country is sick to death of social issues. You will have to do better than that.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Im still waiting for the flight suit and the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner.
After all, Mitt is in bed with every GW Bush/Cheney foreign policy advisor ever to drudge the swamp.
I can just imagine the world with these delusional war hawks back in charge.....

Oct 30, 2004
Romney is down in all major polls by at least 4-5 pts. Given the current economic state the country is in he should be up at least 4-5 pts. Looking at the swing state analysis shows an even grimmer picture. Obama is poised at this point to win reelection barring a major catastrophe.

It doesn't help when your party is full of high-profile Christian Taliban such as Aiken, Palin, Bachman, etc.

The other problem is that Romney has completely failed to articulate a compelling economic plan, at least one that would be compelling to most members of the lower 95%. Telling the public that the plan is to continue to lower taxes on the top 5% and to support a continuance of our nation's inefficient and very expensive health care system just isn't real compelling to members of the electorate who aren't in the top 5%.

Romney's plans might be compelling to Christian Taliban and Joe-the-Retarded-Plumber types, but for the bulk of the populace it falls flat.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2004
...meanwhile china, with 1 billion people, surrounded by pakistan, NK, and Russia spend only 8% of the world's military.

The Islamic Fundamentalists and the Russians know that if they provoked China, China wouldn't care or hesitate to kill civilians to exterminate its enemy.

In contrast, when you provoke the U.S. you get billions of dollars worth of aid and nation-building investment.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I suspect he posted that link to refute One's point that "all major polls" favor Obama right now.

Or maybe he actually thinks Romney is in the lead here, in which case he's pretty delusional.

I'm only delusional sometimes, I did indeed post the Rasmussen poll since One of These Days said
Romney is down in all major polls by at least 4-5 pts.
He was wrong as usual and it was easy to post it and demonstrate it.