How often does this happen to you ?

May 11, 2008
I am positive, that everybody has experienced this. You have learned which weapon works best for a given enemy. You kill everything with a minimum of ammo use and you walk through the levels like a boss. :cool:
Puzzles are getting solved. You are the man !

Then there is a simple ledge. You jump and you miss it. :eek::confused::mad::(:oops:

I am wondering, how many people have experienced this ?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
In my younger teenage years playing CS and Quake 1/3 on a LAN I sometimes got the invulnerability complex.

One very tense round as CT, I was last man standing from an 8v1 which now turned into a 3v1. I managed to pick off all 3 enemies without taking a hit. Next round I still felt like I was totally in the zone I was ventilated without even seeing my opponent due to some overconfident early running.

Similar but a bit different as I don't really get your kind of feeling.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
223576-super-mario-bros-nes-screenshot-fiery-mario-tosses-a-few-fireballs.png

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
In my younger teenage years playing CS and Quake 1/3 on a LAN I sometimes got the invulnerability complex.

One very tense round as CT, I was last man standing from an 8v1 which now turned into a 3v1. I managed to pick off all 3 enemies without taking a hit. Next round I still felt like I was totally in the zone I was ventilated without even seeing my opponent due to some overconfident early running.

OP is talking about jumping puzzles. Some people have a real hard time with "jumping" games of any sort in a game while they can do very well with everything else.

May 11, 2008

I played some unreal tournament with friends, i know
OP is talking about jumping puzzles. Some people have a real hard time with "jumping" games of any sort in a game while they can do very well with everything else.

It was not even a puzzle. It was jumping off a ledge on a pipe with below a large void. Just to get some ammo. Yeah... Sigh...

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
That's what quick saves are for...
Most challenging jump game for me was POP SOT...a real tutorial for how to jump. Painkiller had some real challenges as well.

The Wife

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Yes, sometimes 3D jumping in shooters can be painful. Borderlands The Pre-Sequel had spots where there was no atmosphere, your oxy was running out, and you had to do a jumping puzzle. Some were fun, some much less so.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
This is the reason my wife quit WOW. We'd be doing 10-man raids and she'd be topping all dps charts only to find her missing en route to a boss and find her corpse down in a chasm below.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002

Having played Spectrum games such as Dizzy almost exclusively I can attest to the complexities of jumping and I did make reference to 'not quite the same but similar' in my post.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Never was a big fan of platformers compared to RPGs, FPS', and RTS' precisely because of ledges and (often poor) jumping dynamics, along with dodging blades and spikes and other staples of classic platform games. You do see these elements in those genres, too, but usually not as much as the old school side scrollers or modern adventure games. I don't mind it if the puzzles aren't frustratingly long or complex and if there's a payout (i.e. it's part of the story or there's some reward for completing them) rather than just being filler for the game.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
every time i think of jumping puzzles i think of GW2, man some of those were brutal.