How often do you work out and for how long?

SinNisTeR

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
How often do you work out and for how long?

also what are the different types of exercises you do? and special routines?

docmanhattan

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2001
i workout 3-4 times a week.

usually running 3-5 miles ~24-40 minutes

sometimes i row (i have an ergometer), but only about 30 minutes at pop on that.

i'd like to lift, but i don;t have the time to go to a gym and deal with the crowdedness.

Novgrod

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2001
I do freeweights four times a week--two days legs, abs, lower back and two days upper back, about one hour a day. All multi-joint exercizes.

Soon as i get to 200 lbs, I'll start running and swimming.

It's funny: when I was in highschool, it seemed like everybody was working out but me. Now that I'm in college, it seems like I'm in the minority :)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Ideally four times a week, but generally only 2-3 lately cause i'm lazy.

I split my full body into 4 workouts so that ideally a bodypart is getting worked every 7 days. I do weights and then run for a little over 20 minutes. Nothing crazy, more like a maintenance to try and keep what I built up in my late teens when I was a crazy workout guru.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
well every tuesday and thursday night i go play requetball for about 2hours. then on monday, wensday, and friday i try to hit the weights.

on sunday i go swimming with the family at the Y. though its not really a workout just a play time.

as for jogging or running i hate it. i used to do that all the time in highschool when i was on the wrestling team. blah

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
7 workouts a week (days can overlap. I usually end up working out 5 of the 7 days a week)

a) 3 of those workouts: an hour of no weight workout (pushups, crunchess, pull-ups, etc.) + 2.5 - 3.0 miles of running + an hour of some sport

b) Other 4 workouts: an hour of weights (4-5 lifts of 4 sets of 10-12 reps) followed by a half hour of cardio (stair-climber, precor).

S b
M a
T b
W ab
T b
F a
S b

Those are the slots they can fit into...Sunday is usually the day I skip...

SpecialEd

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
every day!! I usually get to walk up and down the stairs in my house at least once a day...

but seriously, like Skoorb, I try to work out 4 times a week, but almost always complete my cycle in 8-9 days.

currently it looks like:

Chest/abs/bike machine for 20mins

Back/bi

Shoulders/Traps/Tri

Legs/abs/Swimming (running in the summer)

I'll often switch it up a bit (like tri w/chest or arm work out). It usualy takes me about 1.5-2 hours to finish my routines. I also incorporate alot of stretching at all time throughout a workout.

Recently i've been taking it easy due to a kink in my back (plus "legs" is scheduled next in my routine NO!! I always get the most tired doing legs). But I plan on hittin the gym after work today!

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
I train on Monday, Wednesday, Saturday

I have two routines that I do and switch from one to the other every day.

I am currently on an 18 week progressive Weigh Lifting routine.

Snatch (warm up)
See attached sheet :

Squats continue Russian Plan

Inclined Dumb Bell Bench

20kg x 8 reps x 4 sets

Snatch Pulls

110% x 3 reps x 3 sets

Hypers

15kg x 6 reps x 5 sets
Day 2

Clean and Jerk (warm up)
See attached but 1 up less for C & J

Squats continue Russian Plan

Clean Pulls

105% x 3 reps x 6 sets
Narrow Grip Bench

62.5kg x 8 reps x 4 sets

Inc Sit ups with WT & Twist

10kg x 8 reps x 3 sets Left twist x 3 sets Right Twist

I have very good form as my coach bitches on at me! And always makes me work hard correcting everything.

My first comp of this year is on 3rd March I am pretty confident I can get

85kg Snatch
102.5kg-105kg Clean and Jerk

My routines take about 2 hrs, I drink about 1.5 litres of water at training alone.

I also do rock climbing once a fortnight:) LOVE IT!
me and my mates 4 months ago, since then I have rock climbing shoes :D

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
6 days a week (every day except Sunday.)

Sit-ups and push-ups in the morning be I shower.

Weights and my run (5 miles) when I come home from work.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
I've been slacking lately, (damn short winter days), but when I'm in full bike-racer-guy mode my week is something like this:

Mon = off
Tue = 1.5 hours high-intensity ride (intervals or practice race) HR 100%+ Lactate Threshold
Wed = Endurance ride 2.5-3.5 hours (HR @ 80%LT or less)
Thurs = approx 2-2.5 hours sub-LT
Fri = 1 hour recovery ride (HR @ 60%LT or less)
Sat = 3.5-5 hours (depends on time of year) mostly sub-LT with a few efforts tossed in
Sun = Same intensity as Sat but less than 3 hours

I'll work in some lifting 2-3 times per week early in the season, but taper this off later as my weekly mileage increases. It's just too much to lift and ride 15-20 hours per week.

Fausto

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000

<< When do you people find the time is my question. :D >>

YOU make time!

Monday 6:00-8:30pm
Wednesday 6:00-8:30pm
Saturday 1:30-5:00pm I do have more rest periods here though as I don't have to go home and study.

Thursday: 3:00-6:00 rock climbing

Keego

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2000
every night I do bicep curls, 4 sets of 10 reps. I have ski conditioning m/w for an hour, and play tennis on friday for 2 hours. I've lost 15 lbs since september so something is being done right :)

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
i've been doing this routine since Jan 1 (will change to a new one in 2 weeks):

tues: standing good mornings 5x5, bench squat 5x5, calf raises 3x8
thurs: decline bench 5x5, incline bench 5x5, back extensions 2x15, weighted situps on decline
sat: rack deadlift singles (alternate low/high each week), seated good mornings 5x5, push-press

the workouts last a little over an hour.

Jan 31, 2002
Nothing much,
30 min's worth of push-ups and crunches when I get up and right before I goto bed.
just enough to keep my girlish figure,
wait.... WTH? where'd my boobs go?
Ohhh........:confused:
Never mind.:D

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Twice a week. Mostly upperbody stuff at one of the workout areas on campus. I go with a friend of mine who is in Air Force ROTC and wants to bulk up (he's 5'5" and 115lbs). Its pretty sad, because he can barely spot me on the bench press... but what else are friends for?

RagingWind

Oct 24, 2000
currently i am trying to work out 6 times a week (but usually end up 4 times which is M, T, Th and Friday)

i splite it into three different parts
a) Biceps and back
b) Triceps and chest and shoulder
c) whole lower body and abs

M - a
T - b
W - c
Th - a
F - b
Sat - c
Sun - Off

dartblazer

Aug 18, 2000
some of you people are working out TOO much. when you work out everyday or even 3 times a week your put your whole body in shock, not just the parts your are working out. Your entire central nervous system needs to rest after a strenuous(sp?) workout. Ideally you should do a really hard workout once a week. THATS IT. By really hard workout i dont mean 3 sets of 8 reps, 1 set of 5 reps of the heaviest weight you can for each muscle group, or instead of jogging you should be sprinting until you can't anymore. Your body doesnt build muscle while it's working out, it builds the muscle when it heals itself.

look at the cheetah.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

<< some of you people are working out TOO much. when you work out everyday or even 3 times a week your put your whole body in shock, not just the parts your are working out. Your entire central nervous system needs to rest after a strenuous(sp?) workout. Ideally you should do a really hard workout once a week. THATS IT. By really hard workout i dont mean 3 sets of 8 reps, 1 set of 5 reps of the heaviest weight you can for each muscle group, or instead of jogging you should be sprinting until you can't anymore. Your body doesnt build muscle while it's working out, it builds the muscle when it heals itself. >>

What's that saying about a little knowledge being a dangerous thing?

Your workout regiment of "do the most you can or as fast as you can" would result in little more than injuries and little to no strength/aerobic gains. While it is true that you need recovery to see gains from a workout, you don't need a week. Those who lift 4-5 times per week split up which muscle groups they do on what day so that each group has adequate recovery time (usually 2 days). Cyclists (I am one) will generally ride 4-6 times per week, but they will only have two "killer workout" days and the rest are usually aerobic "maintenance" rides.

Fausto

dartblazer

Aug 18, 2000
if you workout everyday your muscles are not recovering, even if one day you do biceps then the next day you do your legs not all of your muscles are healed, you will not see as much gain.

again look at a cheetah.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Dart, I was trying to be nice, but now I'll just tell you that you do not know what the hell you are talking about. We are discussing human beings here, not cheetahs, mnnnkay? You are comparing apples and oranges.

Do some reading about what kind of workout regimen any pro athlete follows...they don't work out every day, but will do anywhere from 4-6 days per week. You vary intensity and type of workout from day to day to allow for recovery. Don't you think if your one-day-per-week theory were correct, that's what they'd all be doing? It is their livelyhood after all.

Here's an excellent example for you to read through....Lance Armstrong's training regimen from December 2001. He's won the Tour de France three times in a row, I'm guessing he and his coach know what they're doing.

Fausto

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
3 week-days a week. Run on treadmill and lift.

1 day every weekend. Either lifting or bike riding.

At school i used to lift every day, but frankly i don't think that helped me anymore than going every other day right now does.

RegaPlanet

Jul 11, 2000
I workout twice a day(usually), one muscle group at a time for about 50-60mins at a time. In total for a week it works out to be between 10-12 workouts a week. Mostly muscle isolation strength training with a couple of the workouts being some form of a cardio workout.

I stick almost solely with free weights and cables. For smaller muscle groups I do alot of giant sets and supersets. Doing some negatives for the larger muscle groups and just switching things up every 3-5wks depending on how well I feel the routine is working for a specific muscle group.