How offensive would it be to use "bloody" in every day conversations in the States?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Been watching more and more Top Gear lately and one thing I noticed... they'll bleep out words such as "shit" and "fuck", but they don't bleep out "bloody" (when used as an explicative).

how often do they get cars with blood on them?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Gosh darn. You guys are out of your liquid minds! I mean, what the Heck is going on here?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Atheus
All joking aside, where does all this hate come from? Not too many years ago the Brits and the Yanks were best of friends.

Not many years before that, they were our biggest enemy...don't you watch South Park???

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
You're a clueless bastard, aren't ya?
How offensive would it be if I used ah heck this and ah heck that in everyday conversation?

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Bloody is the absolute worst word to be said without a European accent.

Everytime I hear a North American person say it, I cringe cause it sounds so stupid. You're not English... Now, "piss off" works incredibly well.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I use "bloody hell" once in a while. I think its totally normal. No idea where I picked it up.
I would never use it as an adjective otherwise though

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: marincounty
How offensive would it be if I used ah heck this and ah heck that in everyday conversation?

ah heck means 'to screw in the ass' whereas bloody comes from the blasphemy 'by our lady' used centuries ago. It's very mild wheras ah heck is as offensive as 'fuck'. Childrens films in England use the word bloody.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
how often do they get cars with blood on them?

There was a scene in the whole "build a better police car" segment where they were at a "bloody bloody wreckage."

thecrecarc

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2004

ah heck means 'to screw in the ass' whereas bloody comes from the blasphemy 'by our lady' used centuries ago. It's very mild wheras ah heck is as offensive as 'fuck'. Childrens films in England use the word bloody.

ah heck.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
I use it at work all the bloody time. It gives me a caramba word without anyone caring.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004

Pretty sure that's incorrect, or at least hotly debated.