How offensive would it be to use "bloody" in every day conversations in the States?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Been watching more and more Top Gear lately and one thing I noticed... they'll bleep out words such as "shit" and "fuck", but they don't bleep out "bloody" (when used as an explicative).

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Originally posted by: ITJunkie
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
I don't bloody see a problem.

No, it's "I don't see a bloody problem"! :D

Works either way, just like fuck.

"I don't fucking see a problem."
"I don't see a fucking problem."

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Since MOST Americans don't understand the origin of the reference, I think most would just think it a "cute colloquialism" and think the speaker was of British origins.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Since MOST Americans don't understand the origin of the reference, I think most would just think it a "cute colloquialism" and think the speaker was of British origins.

Please, enlighten us as to the origin.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
i know the origin

some UKers were playing Battlefield 1942 online and kept getting sniped. every time they'd die, their guy would say, "bloody" in a matter-of-fact way.

and that's how it began

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: jtvang125
Considering the word is rarely used as an explentive attributive (intensifier) in the States, how would most people react if one was to start using that word. Say, in a quiet public place with many people? At the office?

not at all

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Ahhh! Take off, you hoser.

oh wait, that's Canadian.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: ebaycj
Originally posted by: Deeko
We would think 'stupid Brit' and look for crooked teeth.

Or rotten teeth.

My teeth are fine, and even if they weren't, it would be better than being disgustingly fat and unbearably stupid. Like Americans.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: ScottyB
None. And bloody if a fucking ridiculous expletive in the first place. The English need to quit using such retarded words for everything. Bangers and Mash? How about fuck you?

No how about fuck YOU - get your own language you uneducated yankee retard. Try French they suck almost as much dick as you.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
All joking aside, where does all this hate come from? Not too many years ago the Brits and the Yanks were best of friends.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Atheus
All joking aside, where does all this hate come from? Not too many years ago the Brits and the Yanks were best of friends.

I think its a brotherly rivalry thing. If someone messed with the redcoats, we'd still back you up. ;)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i would think you were being a poser or british fanboi, but i don't think i would be offended by it.