How Obama Came to Be the Biggest Defender of Indefinite Detention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
The more I learn about this, the more disturbing it becomes. Whatever happened to the old-school Dems who had a natural fear and distrust (with good reason!) of gov't power and its potential for abuse?

Apr 27, 2012
Why are people surprised by this, obama should never have been elected and now he is taking away more Freedom

Cant wait for partisan hacks to defend him

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
The more I learn about this, the more disturbing it becomes. Whatever happened to the old-school Dems who had a natural fear and distrust (with good reason!) of gov't power and its potential for abuse?

Classic Liberals? They dead, man.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Such fear disappeared when they became the government. It's easy to trust yourself. You expand your own power because you think you're benevolent, never realizing that those expanded powers are going to be there long after you're gone.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Such fear disappeared when they became the government. It's easy to trust yourself. You expand your own power because you think you're benevolent, never realizing that those expanded powers are going to be there long after you're gone.

Yip, hence why I was telling the neocons that they would be crying once the other guys had the powers that Bush was expanding.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Yip, hence why I was telling the neocons that they would be crying once the other guys had the powers that Bush was expanding.
I don't think they are though - he's using them exactly the same way Bush did. By all measures, I think Obama is Bush 2.0.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I don't think they are though - he's using them exactly the same way Bush did. By all measures, I think Obama is Bush 2.0.

True, but the fact remains that one day someone that really goes against them in something other than just party will be in office.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
True, but the fact remains that one day someone that really goes against them in something other than just party will be in office.
Unfortunately, that will not happen in the foreseeable future. If it did, then that person would take that authority to the nth degree or work to pass an amendment ensuring that it was never again available. I would vote for someone who supported the latter.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Remember Obama's promise to close the detention center in Guantanamo Bay back during his election? What ever came of that? Oh right, he NEVER TRIED TO. He obviously has no interest in ending such abuse on the accused. This is why GoP leadership is so badly needed back in the White house. Dems are the ones standing in the way of protecting the rights of the accused.

Status
Not open for further replies.