How much would you charge to make a Wordpress website and maintain it?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by fuzzybabybunny, Feb 4, 2010.

1. fuzzybabybunny

fuzzybabybunny Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras

I work with a lot of realtors and a couple have asked me about making websites for them. The websites would have to be routinely updated with new listings.

So I was thinking that the easiest way to do this would be to get a Wordpress template, tailor it a bit to their needs, and then voila, a website and lite duty CMS system in one for new listings and such. Plus it would look professional.

Any idea how much I should charge for something like this? Both the design and a monthly fee for upkeep, updating the listings, etc? I figure I can buy a nice template for $200 max. I live in Silicon Valley.

2. Markbnj

Markbnj Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus

The key with a business model like that is to get lots of people using a customizable template that doesn't take you a ton of up-front investment. That way you don't have to raise the implementation price to the point where it's prohibitive, and can build a base of clients who are paying you monthly for maintenance and support.

I would say, depending on the Realtor, a couple of thousand, tops, for setup, and then a couple hundred a month to maintain it, with some level of site additions and whatnot included for that price, everything else a la cart.

3. DaveSimmons

DaveSimmons Elite Member

The other approach is to set them up with a wordpress.com account and pay the $30/year for CSS access.

You get less customization but avoid the headache of constantly updating the Wordpress engine to block spambots and infectors.

4. wwswimming

wwswimming Banned

the answer will be a function of a few things -
    * what they want to hear.
    * if they're high maintenance, definitely charge extra. i call it the "asshole surcharge", definitely some customers need it. but i wouldn't write it that way on the invoice.

i would ask $500 for a simple, NICE design that integrates your photography, or else MAYBE offer it at no charge IF they buy a lot of photog. services from you.

or, if you can afford it ... if they kvetch about the up-front fee ... ask for a &#37;-age of the sale.

5. sourceninja

sourceninja Diamond Member

I always change by the hour. Flat fee always bites you in the ass. I estimate the number of hours, but it's always by the hour billed in 15 minute increments.

6. KLin

KLin Lifer

7. Markbnj

Markbnj Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus

8. JoshGuru7

JoshGuru7 Golden Member

In your situation I would want to come across as expensive but worth it. It depends on their willingness to pay, and while you can't ask directly about it you probably have some ideas based on comments they have made.

If you're informally discussing this, you can use bracketing where you mention a low price range for the "budget" solution and then a higher range that "costs more to implement but is much better". Their reaction will give you very strong information about how much they are looking to spend.

9. BoberFett

BoberFett Lifer

Oh god, that site is so painful to read, and so true.

10. VinylxScratches

VinylxScratches Golden Member

Ugh, I was thinking about getting into web dev on the side..... that site is depressing.