How much would the US economy benefit from

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
This would never happen. There is a huge lobbying group in Florida of all the people who lost a huge amount of land in Cuba when Castro came to power. If Obama were to pursue this he losses Florida guaranteed in 2012, even if he is relatively successful in all other areas. The congressmen who supported this position would also be sunk.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
I dunno...this is the same country that emptied their jails, put them all on planes, and sent them to Miami. I would rather keep things locked down as much as we can. The fruits of such labor like trade with Cuba just aren't worth the potential problems imo.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
We should lift the trade embargo. The US will send them wave upon wave of Cubans back in exchange for some sugar. I'm sure Miami would love to flush their collective sewer right back into Castro's lap.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: brandonbull
We should lift the trade embargo. The US will send them wave upon wave of Cubans back in exchange for some sugar. I'm sure Miami would love to flush their collective sewer right back into Castro's lap.

Nope, that will never pass legislation. Especially since all that we are sending them back to is a jail cell or execution in Cuba. Try convincing America to send Cuban immigrant children or their parents back to that hell hole.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Xavier434

Nope, that will never pass legislation. Especially since all that we are sending them back to is a jail cell or execution in Cuba. Try convincing America to send Cuban immigrant children or their parents back to that hell hole.

You mean like Elian Gonzalez?

IMO, the Clinton administration was right with that call.

I'm all for lifting the embargo and normalizing relations with Cuba. Send all their citizens home. (or at least the ones who haven't become US citizens.)

Let's build nice luxury condos on the best beaches, open strip bars and whorehouses everywhere...just like there was pre-Castro...

Let's put the hub back in Habana!

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Well, we could use a new state anyway. :p

If all those Miami guys started immigrating back to Cuba, they would probably cause problems with those who had remained after Castro took over. Either that, or Cuba itself would adopt a more pro-US stance. Increased trade/links would probably make them as much a part of the US as Puerto Rico, or heck, even Florida. Maybe not in name or official ties, but in cultural ties...

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: Xavier434

You mean like Elian Gonzalez?

IMO, the Clinton administration was right with that call.

I'm all for lifting the embargo and normalizing relations with Cuba. Send all their citizens home. (or at least the ones who haven't become US citizens.)

Let's build nice luxury condos on the best beaches, open strip bars and whorehouses everywhere...just like there was pre-Castro...

Let's put the hub back in Habana!

Doing that would separate families including parents from children. I won't argue about whether or not that is the best thing to do ethically, but I will stress that we will never see something like that pass in legislation and that means no action. You need to understand that by sending these people back to that country is doing nothing but sending them to their deaths or jail over there which is pretty much the same thing. That is the current standard operating procedures for all Cubans which try to leave and are sent back. You will never be able to gather enough support throughout America to allow that to happen. Hell, Bush tried something far more liberal than that a few years ago and it was readily shot down. We are already in much too far over our heads.

I know no conservative really likes this solution, but the only way we can really help ourselves is to put a solid cap on the lid when it comes to new illegal immigrants through tight border patrols and other procedures while accepting those illegal immigrants that are already here. In addition, we need to severely tighten up on illegal under the table wages to ensure that these people are both found and taxed by creating really nasty penalities if caught employing illegals while also guaranteeing some really serious auditing for several years at least. Otherwise, I believe that the only thing we will see in our future is endless debate over what do with little to no action as more and more illegals just pour in making a more conservative solution farther and farther out of reach day by day. The clock is ticking...