How much would installing a 3 - 3.5 ton A/C cost?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by holden j caufield, Aug 30, 2007.

1. holden j caufield

holden j caufield Diamond Member

This is in southern California. Can anybody recommend a place. Thanks

2. db

db Diamond Member

How extensive an install? Adding an a/c unit to existing system? Whole new system, w/ducting?

3. holden j caufield

holden j caufield Diamond Member

whole new system. Ducting I assume we can use the old one

4. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

We had it done for $2500 for a 4 ton compressor. We needed nothing but the compressor, associated plumbing to run to the forced air unit in the garage, power line hooked up (box was already there) and a new thermostat. The house was already plumbed for central air when it was built in 1994.

Our neighbor knew someone. :D

BTW-If you have a forced air heating system your house may be plumbed for central air as well. Look for an electrical box somewhere on the outside of your house with a preinstalled drain nearby. If you have that then all you'll need is the stuff I mentioned. We got quotes in the $4-5000 range and up for higher level name brand systems. I forget what ours is but the compressor is the same one that Carrier uses. It's a 13 SEER IIRC. We've had it for about 3 years now.

5. FlashG

FlashG Platinum Member

Be careful trying to use existing duct that isntmatched to your unit. Undersize duct creats greater air friction that will cause heat buildup that will cancell the cooling from a higher ton unit.

6. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

Any qualified installer will evaluate your home and be able to calculate the best size unit for your home.

First step is to call a few installers and get some bids. This will cost you only your time and will give you a good idea of what you need and what the costs will be.

I doubt you'll actually have it installed before it starts to cool off though so I'd take my time learn as much as possible so that you can make an educated decision. I'm assuming you live in a coastal area of SoCal, as do I, since you don't already have central air.

7. bctbct

bctbct Diamond Member

Wait until fall when the companies are looking for work instaed of peak season if you want lower prices.