how much vram does my video card have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quina123

Sep 30, 2015
I've recently bought a game on steam powered. some new site that has pc games. And I'm having lots of trouble running it properly. The game constantly lags whenever I try to set the resolution to 1080p. Is my graphics card incompatible with this game, or does it not have enough? I'm not sure how much it has. whether its 1024 MB or 2815 MB. My graphics card is AMD Radeon HD 5450.

Last edited:

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
1024 it is. But how is it slow? Does it have a fan?

it's a small GPU from 2009/2010, it's not good for current games, not fast enough, it could have 512MB or 128GB, it wouldn't make much of a difference for this card.

riversend

Dec 31, 2009
What game did you buy? What is the rest of your system? What resolution are you playing on?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, the 5450 is for desktop office work, or some HTPC media-playback. It's not for games. Far, far too slow.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
To put it in perspective the 2005 Xbox 360 probably has a better GPU.

360, PS3, and Wii U all have much faster GPUs than this.

OP, if you want to play games, you're going to need to save up $100+ for an upgrade. Even modern integrated graphics will smoke your card.

quina123

Sep 30, 2015
this card can't be slow, since the games I play and build run Directx7, it runs smoothly and fast even at 1080p. it was steam being a tart.

iiiankiii

Apr 4, 2008
this card can't be slow, since the games I play and build run Directx7, it runs smoothly and fast even at 1080p. it was steam being a tart.

Good. If it runs the games you want at the settings you want, good for you. It's actually pretty cool because you won't have the itch to upgrade. BUT, it really is slow in the grand scheme of things. Like really, really, really slow. That card you have is worth like $30 bucks.

quina123

Sep 30, 2015
Good. If it runs the games you want at the settings you want, good for you. It's actually pretty cool because you won't have the itch to upgrade. BUT, it really is slow in the grand scheme of things. Like really, really, really slow. That card you have is worth like $30 bucks.

It is not good, now that I think bout it. because its slow. as you say... this is true considering I can even run one those emulators with a high speed high resolution without it slowing down a lot. Nor can I run a PS2 emulator properly without it running like a snail. Any suggestion of the top notc h video cards. Meaning the best of all. If such possible. Oh, and yes that's right! I sure did pay about $30 for it. I thought it was the best. Considering it said HD graphics, AND it came with an HDMI port AND the total available graphics memory says 2818. . What is this number anyways? Don't know how something with a total of 2818 total graphics can only said to have 1024. and be really slow.

Also, what is the exact clock speed? tried searching it, but I haven't found it.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
How about trying to be honest for a change. DirectX 7 came out last century. Nobody "builds" games with it anymore. If you were capable of building games you would know the severe limitations of your graphics card. It is so slow it is not really a gaming card, but more used for HTPCs. The HD5450 is the bottom card of AMDs HD 5000 series. The top (single) card was the 5870 and is about 6-8 times faster. Yet even the 5870 is considered too slow by todays standards.

It is not good, now that I think bout it. because its slow. as you say... this is true considering I can even run one those emulators with a high speed high resolution without it slowing down a lot. Nor can I run a PS2 emulator properly without it running like a snail. Any suggestion of the top notc h video cards. Meaning the best of all. If such possible. Oh, and yes that's right! I sure did pay about $30 for it. I thought it was the best. Considering it said HD graphics, AND it came with an HDMI port AND the total available graphics memory says 2818. . What is this number anyways? Don't know how something with a total of 2818 total graphics can only said to have 1024. and be really slow.
OK, seems your finally acknowledging you have a slow card. Although still funny that you thought a $30 card was 'the best'. If you want a fast card today, you would be looking at maybe the R9 290-390 cards or GTX 970-980 ($250-450). If you want faster, you are looking at $550-650 and upwards.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I......Any suggestion of the top notc h video cards. Meaning the best of all. If such possible. Oh, and yes that's right! I sure did pay about $30 for it. I thought it was the best. Considering it said HD graphics, AND it came with an HDMI port AND the total available graphics memory says 2818. . What is this number anyways? Don't know how something with a total of 2818 total graphics can only said to have 1024. and be really slow.

Also, what is the exact clock speed? tried searching it, but I haven't found it.
Its pointless finding out the clock speed of you old card is because it sucks and its slow by current standards. And besides you could just google or or browse any manufacturers specs if you really wanted to know.

Just read through AT reviews for video cards this year and not 10 years ago and you'll find out some current 'top notch video cards'. But why would you want a top notch card when you have so many directx8 and 9 games to play after finishing your dx7 games. You could just get a $60 oldass used card.

quina123

Sep 30, 2015
OK, seems your finally acknowledging you have a slow card. Although still funny that you thought a $30 card was 'the best'. If you want a fast card today, you would be looking at maybe the R9 290-390 cards or GTX 970-980 ($250-450). If you want faster, you are looking at $550-650 and upwards.

Holy new computer! 550-650?! Mine as well by a whole new computer with a already built in video card, right? I mean, because even if I bought a card such high, the motherboard wouldn't be compatible with it, anyways

And quick question, how many of you guys have fast gpu cards? Curious.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Pretty much everyone here has a fast GPU. Even the ones who have a slow GPU have a GPU much, much faster than HD5450. This is a PC enthusiast forum.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Holy new computer! 550-650?! Mine as well by a whole new computer with a already built in video card, right? I mean, because even if I bought a card such high, the motherboard wouldn't be compatible with it, anyways

And quick question, how many of you guys have fast gpu cards? Curious.
You can buy a $150 GPU today that will be more than 10x faster than the 5450. You appear to be completely unfamiliar with the graphics card market. I suggest you not spend more than you can appreciate what you will get for your money and usage needs.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Why don't you please post your entire computer hardware specs so we can properly suggest an upgrade from your old 5450 card?

:)

quina123

Sep 30, 2015
these are my pc specs.
Untitled.png

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
There isn't much more that athlon 64 can do in 2015. It's due for replacement.

You can upgrade the GPU, but it'll be horribly bottlenecked. First upgrade the platform to something modern, then think about a GPU upgrade.

Hell, I think even vanilla HD graphics in a Haswell Pentium is faster than the 5450.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
these are my pc specs.
Untitled.png

That... That right right there is a classic system. You are not going to have an enjoyable experience with games from this decade with that. Ther's not even any real point in upgrading your graphics card; you just need to save up $500-600 for a new computer.

quina123

Sep 30, 2015
That... That right right there is a classic system. You are not going to have an enjoyable experience with games from this decade with that. Ther's not even any real point in upgrading your graphics card; you just need to save up $500-600 for a new computer.

well, I don't play new gen games on pc's anyways. if its time to game I go to a console. Though, seeing how its old (and not even mine) I would of course need a new one regradless considering the programs I use on it currently, don't work out well. ex 3ds max, creative cloud, level editor even. No. Not for me.

<snip>

Per the forum posting rules you agreed to follow when creating your account, price checks are not allowed in this forum.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.