How much slower is F@H when running visuals?

Mingon

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
How much slower is F@H when running visuals? I only ask because it looks quite cool running on my machines little lcd (see sig)

r0tt3n1

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2001
It has been said that there is about a 10% slowdown when using the graphical client.
That does look quite neato on that little LCD screen, pic is a tad fuzzy, but still neato. And that case! That would turn some heads at a LAN party!!
:D
Use the graphical client or the command line. Whatever floats your boat, its ALL good.

:cool:

crunch on!

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
The screensaver client is much slower than the CLI and GUI clients, not so much because of the graphics, but because it doesn't get to run in the background all of the time and take advantage of the majority of the time where you're just typing something and 90% of the CPU capacity is being "wasted."

If you want to do so, I would recommend that you use the GUI client; it will run in the system tray while you work, getting extra cycles here and there when it can at the lowest priority; when you want to walk away from your computer, simply bring it up and maximize it. Ergo, you have the best of both worlds: maximum efficiency while you work (it performs about the same as the command line client while minimized), and pretty graphics whenever you're away. :)

BTW, nice case mod. What kind of LCD is that? Is it your primary monitor (I'd suppose that you'd only do that if this were a server that you just wanted to check on occasionally), or do you run it as a duplicate of some other monitor that is also attached to the system?

Mingon

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
The lcd is running dual monitor extended desktop, I have a ti4200 running my main screen and a mx400PCI runs the LCD.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Mingon
The lcd is running dual monitor extended desktop, I have a ti4200 running my main screen and a mx400PCI runs the LCD.
Ah, well, then just run the GUI client at whatever size you like on your second "desktop." There will be a small performance hit on WU times for running the graphics all the time, but if your CPU is in the gigahertz range, it's unlikely that you'll really notice it.