How much should I give to my classmate to print a colour image

bladder23

Banned
Jun 28, 2007
I have been off inkjet for as long as I can remember. I always rely on my HP black n white laser

Anyways, I need a few colour images printed. Altogether, the images take up about 3/5 of the entire sheet of paper.

How much would be a fair tip?

edit: changed friend to classmate

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Kinko's will charge you $3 and the prints will suck ass. Be happy if he settles for a buck or two. Ink is not cheap and if you have a printer in your dorm room you're best off hiding it from sight because people will leech off of you and knock on your door at all hours of the night wanting you to print their crap.

Mr Incognito

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2007
Originally posted by: Injury
Kinko's will charge you $3 and the prints will suck ass. Be happy if he settles for a buck or two. Ink is not cheap and if you have a printer in your dorm room you're best off hiding it from sight because people will leech off of you and knock on your door at all hours of the night wanting you to print their crap.

True story. As I was leaving for class, I'd get a knock. I tried to accommodate but sometimes it was just plain ridiculous.

Nymphaea

Sep 9, 2007
ask your classmate if he wants you to pay for the print... usually couple pages isn't that much, and if I'm in that position, i wouldn't want others to pay me. It's not a big deal~

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
buck a page
color ink is a b*tch.
either its got a single color cart and if a single color runs low..gotta toss it.
or its one with multiple carts, but its still costly.
fancy paper is bad also if you use that.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: Injury

Interesting, everyone here has their own printer or goes to the lab to print their stuff for .08 a page. Never have had a problem.

syee

Oct 6, 2001
Just drive down to Costco and have it professionally done. 4x6 are 17c each. Even if it's 8.5x11, they're only $1.49. Less than the $2 you'd give your classmate and looks way better. (and won't fade or smudge)

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Tiamat
I'd buy him a beer if over 21. If not, a couple bucks.
Agreed. A few pages doesn't seem like most, but I know that ink is very expensive, so $2-5 (depending on how many pages) is probably fair. If it's not much, buy him a 40oz or something. :)

No color printers at school? I'm very glad that my school has unlimited printing. I've heard some universities charge per page, or you're given a certain amount per semester and any pages over cost per page. And there is a couple color laser printers around in various departments that I have access to, so thankfully I don't need my own printer. Though the huge amount of crap some people print bugs me, cause it seems like such blatant waste is gonna stop the unlimited/nice policy my school has.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
man you guys are cheap asses

i used to prnt things for people for free provided they asked first and it wasent something like 100 pages

a classmate of mine let me print 24, 13x19 images off a her big epson for free because i set up her email accnt through outlook

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Anubis
man you guys are cheap asses

i used to prnt things for people for free provided they asked first and it wasent something like 100 pages

a classmate of mine let me print 24, 13x19 images off a her big epson for free because i set up her email accnt through outlook

If you ask someone to print something for free, you're the one being a cheapass. The guy with the printer might tell the OP that he won't take anything for the prints, but to not OFFER is really tacky. You traded favors for the use of your classmate's printer, which is another form of payment.