How much should I expect to pay for lawn care?

MBony

Platinum Member
Sep 16, 2003
I have a front yard which is ~800sq. ft. and got a mailer from TruGreen for lawn service. They offer a $24.95 first spring treatment. My question is how many of these treatments are they hoping to get out of me? Anyone use these guys? If so, opinions?

Thanks

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Just do it yourself. Get a cheap lawnmower at Home Depot, some fertilizer and weed killer.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
We use a local landscaping company that does our front yard. I'm not sure the measured size (I have an irregular shaped front yard), but they do 7 treatments per year x $27 each. My sister-in-law and father-in-law use the same service and their yards look excellent.

Results aren't immediate, though...expect for it to take several months.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
That's pretty small to get a lawn service.

For the cost of a couple of treatments you could buy a broadcast spreader and enough fertilizer for the first year.

Dec 27, 2001
I mow and maintain 3,000 square feet of lawn in our front and back yards no problem myself. Half hour of mowing every 1-2 weeks. Another half hour of trimming once a month. Buy a seed dispenser or fertilize/weed kill in fall and spring. Good exercise and fun.

JLGatsby

Banned
Sep 6, 2005
Only a fool mows their own lawn.

Takes me 3 hours to mow my lawn (even though it's only 1/5th an acre).

That's 3 hours a week I'll never get back. Plus the time it takes for me to "dress up" in work clothing, and then shower and clean up afterward.

"Every hour I save, is an hour added to my life."
--Ayn Rand

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: JLGatsby

That's 3 hours a week I'll never get back. Plus the time it takes for me to "dress up" in work clothing, and then shower and clean up afterward.

--Ayn Rand

Then you have a sh!tty mower. I used to mow the lawn at my parents house in an hour. It was about an acre and I didn't have a riding lawn mower.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

--Ayn Rand
Dress up in work clothing? So you dress up in business casual, or formal attire when bumming around the house?

JLGatsby

Banned
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Mike
Then you have a sh!tty mower. I used to mow the lawn at my parents house in an hour. It was about an acre and I didn't have a riding lawn mower.

I got one of those lawnmowers where the backwheels spin automatically so you don't have to push it but I bag it. Mulching is for the "lower" classes.

And then in the middle of the summer, you're out there and it's 95 or 100 degrees, you're sweating, the gasoline is making you dizzy, the vibration of the lawnmower numbs your hands and makes blisters, you get sunburned, and people stare at you because they think you're mowing your lawn yourself because you're having financial problems.

It's just not worth it.

JLGatsby

Banned
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Howard
Dress up in work clothing? So you dress up in business casual, or formal attire when bumming around the house?

Yes. I don't own a pair of jeans and always wear kahkis and a polo shirt (summer) and wool or cashmere sweater (winter).

I am never not wearing a collared shirt or sweater.

TripleAAA

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2002
I just started paying $25/month for a dude to come out and mow and edge my lawn once every two weeks. Hasn't yet started so don't know how good he is.

As for the fertilizer/seeding, I'm out of this house soon so it will be up to the next owner.

Dec 27, 2001
And then in the middle of the summer, you're out there and it's 95 or 100 degrees, you're sweating, the gasoline is making you dizzy, the vibration of the lawnmower numbs your hands and makes blisters, you get sunburned

You sound like a strapping young stud.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeah do it yourself.

I have ~3 acres. i been doing it with a self-propeled walk behind. but i have decided i will buy a rider this spring. Bu

Dec 4, 2002

I got one of those lawnmowers where the backwheels spin automatically so you don't have to push it but I bag it. Mulching is for the "lower" classes.

And then in the middle of the summer, you're out there and it's 95 or 100 degrees, you're sweating, the gasoline is making you dizzy, the vibration of the lawnmower numbs your hands and makes blisters, you get sunburned, and people stare at you because they think you're mowing your lawn yourself because you're having financial problems.

It's just not worth it.

hahaha, where do you live where people think you have financial problems if you mow your own lawn?

I had to do it while growing up, it was one of my "chores". That hour includes bagging. When you mow a near acre, you have to unload that crap plenty of times.

3 hours for 1/5 of an acre with an automatic mower seems impossible to me. Did you take a break to go watch TV? :D

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000

It's just not worth it.

No, you sound like a pussy with a completely whacked out ego. People think you have finacial problems if you cut your own lawn? I would rather not contribute to illegall Mexican labor myself. I enjoy yardwork. I don't consider it work. It is relaxing to me and I get it done exactly the way I want it. It doesn't take that long each week and I use the money I save for something better. If I am busy and don't have time to cut my lawn then I pay the next door neighbor kid to do it for me.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Ronstang

It's just not worth it.

No, you sound like a pussy with a completely whacked out ego. People think you have finacial problems if you cut your own lawn? I would rather not contribute to illegall Mexican labor myself. I enjoy yardwork. I don't consider it work. It is relaxing to me and I get it done exactly the way I want it. It doesn't take that long each week and I use the money I save for something better. If I am busy and don't have time to cut my lawn then I pay the next door neighbor kid to do it for me.

But then again you have to look at it that some people here highly consider their time is big money. For example, if you make $70 per hour then it would make sense to hire somebody (or next door kid) and pay them $20 to mow the entire front and backyard. That I can understand.

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion
Originally posted by: Ronstang

It's just not worth it.

But then again you have to look at it that some people here highly consider their time is big money. For example, if you make $70 per hour then it would make sense to hire somebody (or next door kid) and pay them $20 to mow the entire front and backyard. That I can understand.

Yea....but we're talking about JLGatsby here....come on. ;)