How much RAM and CPU do I need?

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
I'm wanting to buy a laptop, but I do not know what I need in terms of power and performance.

This will be strictly for work purposes. I'll be using it to vpn/remote into my jobs servers, access their network drives, access my work desktop etc etc.

I'll be using excel a lot, SQL a lot, building reports, and using "SAS studio."

Would 8 gigs of RAM be overkill? Can I get away with 6, or even 4? What about processors? What should I be looking at and looking for?

I also want it to be fairly future proof, so something I can use for the next 4 to 6 years. This will be 100% for work.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx#pmosr
http://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikstudiosr/68202/PDF/default/sreq.pdf
http://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikfdtnwx6sr/66390/PDF/default/sreq.pdf

SQL recommends a minimum of 4GB of RAM, or 1GB if using SQL Express, depending on your database size.
SAS studio requires 1GB of ram on top of the 2GB required by SAS foundation with recommendations of having 1.5x the physical RAM for swap space.
SAS foundation requires a minimum of a dual core processor. And SQL recommends a minimum of a 2.0GHz Processor

Since you want a laptop, this means at minimum, you are recommended to have roughly an i5 processor and 4GB of RAM.

Given those requirements and the want to be future proof for 4-6 years, the safest bet is to get an i7 quadcore and more than 4GB of RAM.

Since you're going to be doing lots of database things, it'd probably be better to have a higher res screen. The typical 1366x768 doesn't give you much room to work with.

in order of importance (personal opinion): high res screen > i7 quadcore > more RAM
this is assuming the RAM will be upgraded as needed. DDR4 is approaching though, so DDR3 prices may be suspect in several years.

As this is a laptop meant for work, You should probably look into the Dell Latitude, HP Pro/Elitebook, or Lenovo Thinkpads
This also follows with wanting the notebook to last 4+ years.

Last edited:

jji7skyline

Mar 2, 2015
tbgforums.com
Get a laptop with 8GB or more RAM and an i7 CPU. Make sure the CPU is one of the higher clocked versions that end in MQ or MX rather than U.

Try to get a laptop with a Full HD display. That should help with productivity.

An SSD is also nice to have.

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
thanks for the replies. Ideally, I would like to get the best processor, high ram, SSD, but I'm trying to stay on a budget of under 400 if possible. Seeing that this is for work only and I'm more of a Mac person, I do not want to spend too much.

I've been looking around and what do you guys think of this machine? It's a toshiba with an AMD A8 processor, 6 gig rams, and 17inch display. I know it's not an I5, but for the tasks I outlined, do you think it will be sufficient? I realize that future proofing for the next 4 to 6 years is not possible now, but for the short term and running sql server, sas, excel, will it suffice?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba...lack/2376022.p?id=1219539709929&skuId=2376022

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Have you considered buying from the Dell Outlet?

They have sales every few weeks including right now.

Although it's a little over your budget, it's definitely better than the BestBuy laptop you linked to.

Processor: Intel Core 4th Generation i5-4200U Processor (1.6GHz, 3M cache)
Windows 8.1
1 TB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
8 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (4GBx2) Memory
17.3 inch LED Backlit Display with Truelife and HD+ resolution (1600 x 900)
8X DVD+/-RW Tray Load Drive
Intel HD Graphics
Dell Outlet Inspiron 17R - 5737

$679 - $200 coupon = $479

Wolfpup

Jan 25, 2006
thanks for the replies. Ideally, I would like to get the best processor, high ram, SSD, but I'm trying to stay on a budget of under 400 if possible. Seeing that this is for work only and I'm more of a Mac person, I do not want to spend too much.

I've been looking around and what do you guys think of this machine? It's a toshiba with an AMD A8 processor, 6 gig rams, and 17inch display. I know it's not an I5, but for the tasks I outlined, do you think it will be sufficient? I realize that future proofing for the next 4 to 6 years is not possible now, but for the short term and running sql server, sas, excel, will it suffice?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba...lack/2376022.p?id=1219539709929&skuId=2376022

Be aware with that that it's not a 'real' A8, it's their Atom competitor, not a Bulldozer derivative. I'd think for sure a Bulldozer derivative would be just fine for that kind of stuff (and maybe that chip...)

Personally I think RAM's so cheap that 8GB isn't hard to have, and it sounds like you'll be running a lot of stuff that really eats RAM. I mean 8 vs. 4, though if you got that particular notebook I don't think those CPUs have dual channel memory controllers so 6 is probably fine on it.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
You don't need an I7; I think an i3 would be plenty. If your load is heavy on the database then an ssd will help bundles but I wouldn't try to future proof. If your load is heavy the life of the system will only be 2 or 3 years anyways and it would be cheaper to buy a new system in 3 years than attempt to future proof today. 8GB of ram but if you were running linux 4GB would be ok.
-
Your description of work load is very vague. Rather than lot, little, ... it would be better to talk in terms of query per second and data set size/complexity. Or even better IOPs.