Question How much Price drop will we see on current video cards, with the new cards coming out.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
Waiting for prices to drop on current or last year's model.. I assume prices will drop by 25-50%..

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Which will end up as $550-$600 CDN, which will not impact used 2070 prices.

About $525 CDN actually at current rates (I buy stuff online that's converted all the time). If it comes in at $349 USD (as some estimates suggest) it will be around $465 CDN. Still nonsensical to buy a used card for anywhere near that price.

Once all the new cards are out, including AMD, and there is actual supply, that's when you'll see the big price drops. November maybe.

Last edited:

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Do you have some issue with my estimates?

Other than them being meaningless fantasy no. The market is not going to be changed any more by your estimates than it was by the guy who was saying they should cost $250.

This isn't new. I was looking for used Maxwell cards a while back and realized the used market, at least in Canada, wasn't worth chasing unicorns looking for a good value. I don't expect that will ever change.

What do you mean the best you can do in the new market is a 5600XT?

Best you can get spending $400 new.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Other than them being meaningless fantasy no. The market is not going to be changed any more by your estimates than it was by the guy who was saying they should cost $250.

This isn't new. I was looking for used Maxwell cards a while back and realized the used market, at least in Canada, wasn't worth chasing unicorns looking for a good value. I don't expect that will ever change.

Best you can get spending $400 new.

We'll see in November/December when all the cards are out. It isn't so much the asking price, it's what you're able to offer and have accepted. Buying new now is also a very dumb move, so that's not relevant. I guess then the used market is only for the very unintelligent/impulsive?

Last edited:

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Sure it will..

Exchange rate is 1.33

$400 = around $532 CDN
2080 will be similar to 3060 in price..
2070 will drop to around $300 - 400 CDN

The 2070 Super will be around $400 I'd say. I have been able to twice offer and have accepted (a few weeks ago now) $425 for high-end 2070 Super cards, even though they were asking $650. Both backed out because they couldn't get a 3080. Which begs the question, what are they thinking listing their card when they don't actually plan on selling it until they get another one?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Looks like the volume issues with the 3080 launch has actually had the opposite effect on the used market, with prices actually creeping upward from the pre-release "lows" (which weren't that great).

I suspect a couple things happened:

1) The 3080 wasn't storming the gates of the performance castle the way NV made it sound like it would during the pre-review presentation hype.
2) Point 1 combined with a lack of availability got people who had $800 bucks in their pocket and a 1080 class card go out shopping for any sort of upgrade since the 3080 got them all hot and bothered and in the mood.

Now we're seeing the scarcity panic buying again. Who knows when 3080's are going to be available en-masse and whether or not AMD is even going to show up to this fight (and even if they do are the general masses going to care) so might as well buy yesterdays top performance, since its not all that different from today's.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
LOL my local microcenter raised price on Sapphire 5700XT Nitro+ from $449 to $489, the one open box that they have is now priced at $417. This is so dumb I cannot believe it. I'm so tired of this BS I don't even care anymore. If I see a good deal I may finally upgrade my RX480 8GB, otherwise I guess somebody else will keep paying the premium.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Well, they can't be scarce forever. It looks like the date AMD will have cards available is somewhere around Nov. 11th. Nvidia will already have the 3070 out and possibly the 3060 in November if rumours are to be believed. Some are even suggesting a 3070 ti (or Super or whatever they're calling them) around then, but that seems ridiculous. I still think Nvidia is just holding back cards until AMD releases what they have, I don't care what nonsense they're telling people. If AMD cards are going to miners...oh well, let them have them, I'll stick with Nvidia I guess.

AMD however doesn't need to best the 3080, they just need to beat or compete with the 3070 and 3060/3050(?), which are the big markets for cards. COVID maybe throws a wrench in things, but I've also read that that really isn't affecting things like video cards, it's more likely to affect power supplies and such...which makes sense judging from the insane prices for PSU's these days. It's certainly a great time to buy RAM right now, and SSD's are dropping in price every week.

I'm enjoying playing some of my easier-to-run games in my 150+ Steam library, and EPIC has been giving away lots of good games that are very playable on my now lowly 1060 3GB. The only things I can't play with any enjoyment these days is Squad, DCS World and IL2 as I have to turn the graphics way down...which isn't going to happen :D

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
AMD however doesn't need to best the 3080, they just need to beat or compete with the 3070 and 3060/3050(?), which are the big markets for cards. COVID maybe throws a wrench in things, but I've also read that that really isn't affecting things like video cards, it's more likely to affect power supplies and such...which makes sense judging from the insane prices for PSU's these days. It's certainly a great time to buy RAM right now, and SSD's are dropping in price every week.

I'm enjoying playing some of my easier-to-run games in my 150+ Steam library, and EPIC has been giving away lots of good games that are very playable on my now lowly 1060 3GB. The only things I can't play with any enjoyment these days is Squad, DCS World and IL2 as I have to turn the graphics way down...which isn't going to happen :D

- If AMD wants to make money to continue funding their dgpu adventures among other things, they need to start making some fat margins on their cards. To do that, they need to start competing at the 3080 and 3090 tier and start charging similar prices (as much as it pains me to say that).

RTG cannot survive off the scraps that NV leaves them, they need to get themselves a seat at the big boys table.

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
Someone in my area just bought a 3090 card.. He's selling it on craigslist for $3000...

Once the supply goes up, prices will go down...
Be Patient..

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
- If AMD wants to make money to continue funding their dgpu adventures among other things, they need to start making some fat margins on their cards. To do that, they need to start competing at the 3080 and 3090 tier and start charging similar prices (as much as it pains me to say that).

RTG cannot survive off the scraps that NV leaves them, they need to get themselves a seat at the big boys table.
Another point of view.

AMD obviously would like to leverage any R&D to as many products as possible, but we have to remember that RDNA/CDNA has a lot of commonalities and the product applications are already very diverse. HPC, consoles, gaming cards and importantly, high end thin laptop APUs. The pure gaming market is arguably at present, most important to Nvidia, but also not quite the same for AMD.

We can see the same reasoning by both major competitors in their desire to improve their GPU tech (Intel) and their CPU tech (Nvidia). Amortizing R&D over a bigger product range.

Reactions: Tlh97

aleader

Oct 28, 2013

I'd like to see the actual card sales in the top end. From everything I've read, and just going off the Steam surveys, the number of users with those cards is tiny, and I can't imagine how much TOTAL profit they actually make on those cards, from gamers anyways. In any event, it seems like they're not going to get above the 3080, but if they even get close and actually have stock (AND have drivers that work), it could be a big win for AMD. I still think Nvidia has planned for all this and will flood the market with stock as soon as AMD releases.

Reactions: Tlh97

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Here is a nice video from Hardware Unboxed. No mention of mining driving prices, and that still wouldn't explain why dummies are paying NEW prices for used 5700 cards when new ones are readily available. I think the whole thing is all in people's heads with the COVID nonsense going on. The only card worth buying used according to him is the 1070. Seems I did a little better selling mine a month ago for $215 USD:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I'd like to see the actual card sales in the top end. From everything I've read, and just going off the Steam surveys, the number of users with those cards is tiny, and I can't imagine how much TOTAL profit they actually make on those cards, from gamers anyways.

- I think the principal at play here is the halo effect makes every card down stream look more attractive to buyers.

I also think (and NV recently admitted) that more people buy those super high end cards than anyone would normally think. Nvidia claimed they were surprised by how much Titan inventory they move. There is a whole class of buyer that will pay absurd mark-up for the best item on the market. I'm sure its not the lion's share of NV's income, but it was worth enough to release a 3090 with a paltry 20% increase over the 3080 for 100%+ the price. No company is going to turn away an easy couple million bucks.

In any event, it seems like they're not going to get above the 3080, but if they even get close and actually have stock (AND have drivers that work), it could be a big win for AMD. I still think Nvidia has planned for all this and will flood the market with stock as soon as AMD releases.

- I don't want to speculate too much on where AMD performance will land, but if they ever have a shot at the ultra high end this cycle is it. NV will either come back to TSMC or they'll start to work out the kinks in Samsung's process and come out with a respin that's not kneecapped.