Question How much Price drop will we see on current video cards, with the new cards coming out.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
Waiting for prices to drop on current or last year's model.. I assume prices will drop by 25-50%..

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
For sure. It is also unclear how patient you might have needed to be - like the Series X and PS5, it seems to me that there are going to be a lot opportunists buying for the immediate flip.

If you don't want to play that game you might be waiting until sometime in Q1 2021. Another reason to hope that AMD is competitive on the GPU front, as that will create more stock of cards worthy to buy and put nvidia to work getting as many cards in channel at MSRP as possible.

That's a good point I had also considered. I do work pretty close to a Microcenter, so I have that advantage with finding a card at or near launch. However, I really want to get a 3rd party card with better cooling and standard PCIe power plugs anyway if I'm going to get one, so that pulled the timeline out even further. Another unknown is I'm pretty satisfied with the 2080 Super and may pick up another older card if there's a fire sale on older cards. I'd like to have one more card to replace a 1660 ti in yet another son's PC, and gaming at 1080p isn't stressful enough to really warrant a 1080 ti or 2080 Super, which would be the potential hand me downs.

Edit: Having a 1660 ti as your worst gaming card in 4 PCs is really a 1st world problem. Right now we have a 1660 ti, GTX 1080, GTX 1080 ti, and RTX 2080 Super...guess this winter we won't have to run the heat much. :)

Reactions: Tlh97 and Elfear

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Being that I keep up on tech stuff, I cringed at paying $600 for a 2080 Super last month, but my son wanted to build his first gaming PC and my 1080 ti was a good fit for what he was building. Being patient would've worked out better for both of us, but I suppose I get dad points for helping the boy out, and it's not like the 2080 Super is a performance slouch.

That's funny because I was trying to get 'dad points' with my oldest son (18) by giving him my 1070. He had my old 1060 3GB card (1080p, so no slouch for what he plays, but it was lagging in Squad). He couldn't wait though, so he went and bought a 1660 Super for $300 CDN (it was a shellshocker deal on Newegg) with his grad money and I ended up selling the 1070 for $300 and plopping 'my' 1060 back in my system while I wait. I guess you're a 'better' dad then I though as you took a hit to give your card up ;)

Reactions: Tlh97 and blckgrffn

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
That's a good point I had also considered. I do work pretty close to a Microcenter, so I have that advantage with finding a card at or near launch. However, I really want to get a 3rd party card with better cooling and standard PCIe power plugs anyway if I'm going to get one, so that pulled the timeline out even further. Another unknown is I'm pretty satisfied with the 2080 Super and may pick up another older card if there's a fire sale on older cards. I'd like to have one more card to replace a 1660 ti in yet another son's PC, and gaming at 1080p isn't stressful enough to really warrant a 1080 ti or 2080 Super, which would be the potential hand me downs.

Edit: Having a 1660 ti as your worst gaming card in 4 PCs is really a 1st world problem. Right now we have a 1660 ti, GTX 1080, GTX 1080 ti, and RTX 2080 Super...guess this winter we won't have to run the heat much. :)

Wow, you also have a much more 'relaxed' wife than I do. Mine would be adding up all those cards and reminding me of the extra vacation we could have taken :)

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Wow, you also have a much more 'relaxed' wife than I do. Mine would be adding up all those cards and reminding me of the extra vacation we could have taken :)

If she is more like my spouse, she just mindfully doesn't pay attention to my hobbies and how much they cost. I know not to be stupid, she knows we have nice stuff. Winning? :D

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Just rumor and innuendo, we will probably never know the exact truth as yields are closely guarded fab secrets. But NV themselves said the process was yielding better, resulting in the lower expected card cost despite higher wafer costs.

We will have to see what availability is like to determine any real ground truth.

Well, there is a big difference between "demonstrably better" and "just rumor and innuendo"

In one post you wrote "demonstrably better, lower leakage, etc" and when asked to back it up, you just wrote "just rumor"
Just rumor DOES NOT equate demonstrably better.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
All told computer hardware is a pretty cheap hobby. Start comparing it to restoring cars or buying skiing boats, and all of a sudden the cost of a Titan isn’t so bad.

Between modding my C6 and shooting up my ammo all the time I spend way less on PC stuff even though I buy pretty high-end PC stuff every year.

Reactions: blckgrffn

Kingmer

Apr 13, 2012
Well, there is a big difference between "demonstrably better" and "just rumor and innuendo"

In one post you wrote "demonstrably better, lower leakage, etc" and when asked to back it up, you just wrote "just rumor"
Just rumor DOES NOT equate demonstrably better.

I agree with you I should not transfer personal beliefs into stated facts. And I withdraw that comment if you so please. There are a number of reasons I believe the 8nm superior, but I can't back them up with published literature, perhaps I gota little to enthusiastic. Let us just say that if I required a pacemaker, I would choose the 8nm for the controler.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Getting back on-topic, has anyone seen Newegg's prices on some cards? Looking through the "daily deals" (their huge list), I've seen... RX 5700XT Thicc III for $690, and RTX 2080ti for $1999! WTH?

Looking for suckers, drawn in by the new-GPU hype? (or totally unaware of it?)

Or is it mining again? (Nearly all of their RX 5700/5700XT cards are SOLD OUT.) (RX 5700 and RX 5700XT both do 50-53MH/sec on ETH. They are some of the best cards for mining, besides the Radeon VII, and less so, the 2080ti.)

I really think that this is a resurgence of "mining prices" rearing it's ugly head again. I hope I'm wrong!

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
Starting to see some Video Cards showing up in Craigslist.. Dropping prices..

MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti DirectX 12 RTX 2080 Ti VENTUS GP OC 11GB 352-B - $550

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Getting back on-topic, has anyone seen Newegg's prices on some cards? Looking through the "daily deals" (their huge list), I've seen... RX 5700XT Thicc III for $690, and RTX 2080ti for $1999! WTH?

Looking for suckers, drawn in by the new-GPU hype? (or totally unaware of it?)

Or is it mining again? (Nearly all of their RX 5700/5700XT cards are SOLD OUT.) (RX 5700 and RX 5700XT both do 50-53MH/sec on ETH. They are some of the best cards for mining, besides the Radeon VII, and less so, the 2080ti.)

I really think that this is a resurgence of "mining prices" rearing it's ugly head again. I hope I'm wrong!

On Newegg.ca the Sapphire Pulse 5700XT is still in stock. It's been hovering around the $540 CDN mark, but just INCREASED in price again today to $549, plus $20 shipping (was free or up to $7.99). I don't get it either and I hope you are wrong about mining. I wish someone would just make a mining-only card that was cheaper which would solve the issue once and for all.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
On Newegg.ca the Sapphire Pulse 5700XT is still in stock. It's been hovering around the $540 CDN mark, but just INCREASED in price again today to $549, plus $20 shipping (was free or up to $7.99). I don't get it either and I hope you are wrong about mining. I wish someone would just make a mining-only card that was cheaper which would solve the issue once and for all.

Plenty of miners exist.

Any successful crypto is going to reach a point where the difficulty is too high to run general purpose HW.

Looks like Eth will be moving to a less GPU friendly algo/difficulty soon too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Can't happen fast enough for me.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Plenty of miners exist.

Any successful crypto is going to reach a point where the difficulty is too high to run general purpose HW.

Looks like Eth will be moving to a less GPU friendly algo/difficulty soon too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Can't happen fast enough for me.
Well, they're finally moving to PoS system, however, according to their current plans it's still going to take them 2 years before the move is complete. So 2 more years of GPU prices propped up by miners.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Yay! ( /s ).

AMD and NV must be thrilled, though, in secret.
I'm sure they are, they don't care who they sell to. It's a double edged sword though. Sure, for now the miners help to keep the price high, but at the same time high prices suppress interest from gamers who see less and less value in PC gaming as opposed to console gaming. I'm curious about the actual number of PC gamers, is it still growing, or shrinking because of high prices?

traderjay

Sep 24, 2015

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
93MH/sec... @ 400W? LOL. Miners will avoid that crap, unless they're not paying for power (and have plenty of circuits, or 230/240V outlets or something).

RX 5700 does 48-53MH/sec, @ 120-150W. So 106MH/sec @ 300W, for two cards. For people paying for electric, the RX 5700 is still more efficient, and "Big Navi" is supposed to have what, a 50% improvement in performance/watt? Big Navi should be what the miners really want.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002

Lets see how far this crypto boom will take us.
TBH those numbers are not that great. 100Mh/s on a heavily overclocked card that consumes at least 350-400W may be great for compute density, but properly optimized 5700XT can hit 50MH/s at 125W which is more efficient. It remains to be seen how well Ampere can be optimized.

Reactions: Tlh97

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Does it actually reach that while mining? The article just says it's a 320W TDP, so it could probably hit 400W overclocked.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
That still doesn't explain why people are buying USED cards for the same price as new when the new ones are still available?

Lots of people are dumb. Fully half of the population is below median smarts.

Also, it's just what is available. MC is still full pricing on everything, you could pay $150 for an RX580 today, or nearly $400 for a 2060. Those are terrible decisions, but if you are buying today and not a few weeks from now, well, those are the choices. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Facebook marketplace and craigslist inventories for GPUs are constantly terrible in my area, the only ones that stay are either 10+ years old or priced ludicrously. I am getting really tired of this $30 2400 xt listed on CL, it's been there for nearly a year and gets posted EVERY DAY. Just stop :p

For the last few months all used parts have been priced highly. We were watching Bulldozer CPUs sell for well over $100 on ebay this summer. That's just bizarre.

Reactions: Tlh97 and aleader

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Lots of people are dumb. Fully half of the population is below median smarts.

Also, it's just what is available. MC is still full pricing on everything, you could pay $150 for an RX580 today, or nearly $400 for a 2060. Those are terrible decisions, but if you are buying today and not a few weeks from now, well, those are the choices. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For the last few months all used parts have been priced highly. We were watching Bulldozer CPUs sell for well over $100 on ebay this summer. That's just bizarre.

Well, what, 39% of the US population will still vote for that infantile lunatic Trump? I guess that kind of explains it.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Well, what, 39% of the US population will still vote for that infantile lunatic Trump? I guess that kind of explains it.

Nah, not nearly that many. The popular vote tally for Trump was ~62M out of a population of 323M. That's only ~19%. That's right, 19% is all it takes to get elected.

To be fair, that was really not the point I was making. I hope *everyone* votes in the US that is legal to do so. Once. I really don't want to spend time putting a disclaimer on that statement :rolleyes: