Question How much Price drop will we see on current video cards, with the new cards coming out.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
Waiting for prices to drop on current or last year's model.. I assume prices will drop by 25-50%..

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Why would you even want it for $400 - sure you get more (much slower) memory, but it appears that only a very few games benefit right now - so for $100 more, you get a new card, full warranty, faster card, demonstratably better Samsung vs TSMC silicon, better power efficiency and you know for certain that someones grubby little hands didn't ESD it.
First, no idea on availability of the new cards. Second, I use these cards for F@H, not gaming. Also, For $400, probably not 20% slower than a 3070.

Kingmer

Apr 13, 2012
First, no idea on availability of the new cards. Second, I use these cards for F@H, not gaming. Also, For $400, probably not 20% slower than a 3070.

Still used, also ASUS and Zotac announced %50 price cut on 2000 series (haven't seen this realized yet)...also F@H like gaming is a luxury/hobby sort of thing, why be in such a rush, I understand technology impatience - but it looks like waiting a little could have a huge payoff.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013

Firesale coming! If brand new cards that are leftover stocks are slashed 50% off, just imagine the pricing of used cards.

Certainly not in Canada (yet anyways). Prices on Newegg have actually gone UP on some cards, defying logic. Newegg has what they may think is a really smart trick of reducing the card by $5 and then jacking the shipping up to $30. Again, who are the twits buying these things?! A 2070 Super for $650 CDN?! That's sheer lunacy.

I guess maybe they're trying to dry up the 'sucker' market before the new cards release? There are several cards on my local Kijiji asking $650 CDN for that same USED 2070 Super (Gigabyte OC 3X). I threw them an offer of $400 (which I am still apprehensive about...seems like too much) and they laughed. I don't know what to think of some people these days...

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Sold my 1080 Ti on Ebay for $360 yesterday. Just two weeks ago they were selling in the $450-520 range. Oh well. I only paid $430 for it over a year ago so I got my money's worth.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
The used market is terrible for these kind of things. People can't adjust what they paid a year ago to what it's worth now. :p
It's what market will bear. They wouldn't be asking those prices if nobody was buying. For now I'm not seeing any discounts, and in fact my local Microcenter even reduced open box discounts on 5700XT's, I saw open box Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT for $373 last month, it's $409 now, a measly 7.5% discount with the impending release from both nVidia and AMD. So for now I'm holding out, it won't be long till new cards are out.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Ranulf

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Sold my 1080 Ti on Ebay for $360 yesterday. Just two weeks ago they were selling in the $450-520 range. Oh well. I only paid $430 for it over a year ago so I got my money's worth.
2 years ago, I sold like 9 or 10 1080TI's for $500 -$600 they paid for my 5 2080TI's. But the plan to save power total didn;t work.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Elfear

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Looks like my initial posts in this thread have aged really poorly :D

Prices in the used market are deep discounts by a card's original launch metrics, but a poor deal given new tech is right around the corner.

2080ti's are selling for $550+, 2080S are selling at $400+ and 5700XTs are selling at $350+. All prices which are somewhat silly, but understandable if purchasers are out of the loop, assuming serious scarcity on new cards, or betting that performance on the new cards is not going to live up to the hype.

Recently I'be been playing a lot of games released 2016 or earlier and my 980Ti is more than up to the challenge to handle those at 1440p/144 so I can easily wait longer for AMD to drop and longer still for prices to settle down.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Looks like my initial posts in this thread have aged really poorly :D

Prices in the used market are deep discounts by a card's original launch metrics, but a poor deal given new tech is right around the corner.

2080ti's are selling for $550+, 2080S are selling at $400+ and 5700XTs are selling at $350+. All prices which are somewhat silly, but understandable if purchasers are out of the loop, assuming serious scarcity on new cards, or betting that performance on the new cards is not going to live up to the hype.

Recently I'be been playing a lot of games released 2016 or earlier and my 980Ti is more than up to the challenge to handle those at 1440p/144 so I can easily wait longer for AMD to drop and longer still for prices to settle down.

Yah, I'm just stunned by the continued stupidity of used prices. I just checked and the CHEAPEST 2080ti available on Ebay (ending soonest auction) is at $950 CDN ($695 USD), $500 CDN for a 5700XT (that's the current NEW price), $550 for a 2070 Super. I would have thought people buying on EBay would be savvy enough to know about (or at least be aware) the monumental shift about to happen to prices in the next few months. What would possess someone to pay almost new prices for used, old tech? Did people lose the ability to search on Newegg or something?

Kingmer

Apr 13, 2012
I am curious on this one.
Are you talking 8nm Samsung vs 7nm TSMC, or 8nm Samsung vs 12/14nm TSMC?

Both, the 8nm has better yields, fewer masking errors, lower voltage electron migration issues (theoretically you can juice the voltage more), etc. Even though the per wafer costs seem to be higher, the per die costs should be lower. And above all suppy issues appear not to driven by yield, so if there is a suppy issue it is because thry did not order enough vs the process cannot yield.

From what i have read, they really focused on 3080 production, so they should be in good supply at launch if what I have read is to be believed...everybody, leaks and all have said that the 3090 will be in short for the foreseeable future.

Sure, I'd buy a 2080ti used for $100-200, but no more than that, no reason too..no reason not to wait and see what you can buy new....hell Zotac is planning a mini-itx 3070 for Q1 21 if they are to be believed, and initial numbers in the 3060 look like 5% less performance in RAS but 10% more in RT than a 2080ti for around $350...who needs a used 2080ti?

Kingmer

Apr 13, 2012
Yah, I'm just stunned by the continued stupidity of used prices. I just checked and the CHEAPEST 2080ti available on Ebay (ending soonest auction) is at $950 CDN ($695 USD), $500 CDN for a 5700XT (that's the current NEW price), $550 for a 2070 Super. I would have thought people buying on EBay would be savvy enough to know about (or at least be aware) the monumental shift about to happen to prices in the next few months. What would possess someone to pay almost new prices for used, old tech? Did people lose the ability to search on Newegg or something?

Let them keep their used 20xx series, if what we have been told is true, they are economically obsolete. No harm in waiting to see a few weeks, I understand technology impatience, but for most of us this is a hobby/luxury no harm in waiting.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Let them keep their used 20xx series, if what we have been told is true, they are economically obsolete. No harm in waiting to see a few weeks, I understand technology impatience, but for most of us this is a hobby/luxury no harm in waiting.

Well, as I've said several times in my posts, I am waiting...until after Xmas if I need to. But I only need 1440p/75Hz and don't care about shooters (they're actually the least demanding of all the games), so if I can snag a 2070 Super or better for $300 - $350 CDN less than a new 3070...I'll grab it. It would be more than enough for my needs for the next several years. I'm very curious to see if the 'limited supply' rumours are true, or just a bunch of self-fulfilling hype.

Kingmer

Apr 13, 2012
Well, as I've said several times in my posts, I am waiting...until after Xmas if I need to. But I only need 1440p/75Hz and don't care about shooters (they're actually the least demanding of all the games), so if I can snag a 2070 Super or better for $300 - $350 CDN less than a new 3070...I'll grab it. It would be more than enough for my needs for the next several years. I'm very curious to see if the 'limited supply' rumours are true, or just a bunch of self-fulfilling hype.

All I have heard in regards to limited supply is for the 3090...which might indeed be hype...for your use case and budget, wouldn't the 3060 be better? Since you are waiting anyway 5% less RAS than a 2080ti, should beat a 2070 super.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Both, the 8nm has better yields, fewer masking errors, lower voltage electron migration issues (theoretically you can juice the voltage more), etc. Even though the per wafer costs seem to be higher, the per die costs should be lower. And above all suppy issues appear not to driven by yield, so if there is a suppy issue it is because thry did not order enough vs the process cannot yield.

From what i have read, they really focused on 3080 production, so they should be in good supply at launch if what I have read is to be believed...everybody, leaks and all have said that the 3090 will be in short for the foreseeable future.

Sure, I'd buy a 2080ti used for $100-200, but no more than that, no reason too..no reason not to wait and see what you can buy new....hell Zotac is planning a mini-itx 3070 for Q1 21 if they are to be believed, and initial numbers in the 3060 look like 5% less performance in RAS but 10% more in RT than a 2080ti for around $350...who needs a used 2080ti?

Thanks for the info.
Do you have any reference or links that further explain it?

I am puzzled that if Samsung N8 is really better than TSMC N7, why aren't other companies jumping on it.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003

Do you have a source on Samsung 8nm having fewer masking errors and better yields than TSMC 7nm?

Similar for the performance claims on the 3060 being within 5% of the 2080 Ti. There's really nothing out there for concrete numbers on the 3060, but even nVidia is claiming the 3070 is on par with the 2080 Ti. If the 3060 is only 5% back of that, it would be the smallest gap between x60 and x70 nVidia has ever had. The x60 typcially matches up with the previous gen x80, it's not within spitting distance of the previous top of the line card.

Reactions: Tlh97

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
All I have heard in regards to limited supply is for the 3090...which might indeed be hype...for your use case and budget, wouldn't the 3060 be better? Since you are waiting anyway 5% less RAS than a 2080ti, should beat a 2070 super.

If you watch that video I posted above by Moore's Law is Dead, he indicates that they are creating a supply shortage on all the cards to drive prices up. I hope he is wrong. From what is being said, I don't know who would want an AIB card if the FE card cooler is as good as the rumours suggest. This I think is why Nvidia is creating the shortage in the first place? Are they really trying to drive the AIB's out of business? The 3060Ti would be sufficient for my needs for sure. There seems to be some debate on whether it will release in October at $349 or $399 USD ($480 or $575 CDN).

Kingmer

Apr 13, 2012
Do you have a source on Samsung 8nm having fewer masking errors and better yields than TSMC 7nm?

Similar for the performance claims on the 3060 being within 5% of the 2080 Ti. There's really nothing out there for concrete numbers on the 3060, but even nVidia is claiming the 3070 is on par with the 2080 Ti. If the 3060 is only 5% back of that, it would be the smallest gap between x60 and x70 nVidia has ever had. The x60 typcially matches up with the previous gen x80, it's not within spitting distance of the previous top of the line card.

Just rumor and innuendo, we will have to to have the cards in hand and actual supply numbers for ground truth. Latest numbers on 3070 i have seen show 5-8% incease in RAS over 2080ti, which would make the 3060 10-13% slower than 3070, don't know but they would probably give it only 6 megs too.

Kinda my point, no harm in having patience.

Kingmer

Apr 13, 2012
Thanks for the info.
Do you have any reference or links that further explain it?

I am puzzled that if Samsung N8 is really better than TSMC N7, why aren't other companies jumping on it.

Just rumor and innuendo, we will probably never know the exact truth as yields are closely guarded fab secrets. But NV themselves said the process was yielding better, resulting in the lower expected card cost despite higher wafer costs.

We will have to see what availability is like to determine any real ground truth.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Just rumor and innuendo, we will have to to have the cards in hand and actual supply numbers for ground truth. Latest numbers on 3070 i have seen show 5-8% incease in RAS over 2080ti, which would make the 3060 10-13% slower than 3070, don't know but they would probably give it only 6 megs too.

Kinda my point, no harm in having patience.
I don’t disagree with waiting, but even the rumoured 4864 core GA104-based 4060 Ti has 83% of the shaders as the 3070. Having a GA106 3060 within 10-13% of the 3070 seems super unlikely unless you’re talking about CS:GO at 720p.

Kingmer

Apr 13, 2012
I can't argue that there is conflicting information everywhere and perhaps I am gloming on the most optimistic. I will admit, this has been a very exciting launch for me and I don't play many games at all...love technology though.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
I expect the used market in general will tank considerably. A combination of excess supply and kneecapped demand. I kind of wish I had sold my 1080ti, but it’s been a good card. I will probably put it in my wife’s system.

The new card market will be interesting to watch as well.

Being that I keep up on tech stuff, I cringed at paying $600 for a 2080 Super last month, but my son wanted to build his first gaming PC and my 1080 ti was a good fit for what he was building. Being patient would've worked out better for both of us, but I suppose I get dad points for helping the boy out, and it's not like the 2080 Super is a performance slouch.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Being that I keep up on tech stuff, I cringed at paying $600 for a 2080 Super last month, but my son wanted to build his first gaming PC and my 1080 ti was a good fit for what he was building. Being patient would've worked out better for both of us, but I suppose I get dad points for helping the boy out, and it's not like the 2080 Super is a performance slouch.

For sure. It is also unclear how patient you might have needed to be - like the Series X and PS5, it seems to me that there are going to be a lot opportunists buying for the immediate flip.

If you don't want to play that game you might be waiting until sometime in Q1 2021. Another reason to hope that AMD is competitive on the GPU front, as that will create more stock of cards worthy to buy and put nvidia to work getting as many cards in channel at MSRP as possible.