How much performance gain can I expect?

Apr 17, 2003
So I have an e6300 running @ 400*7 (2.8ghz) on a 975x board.

I was thinking of switching to a 500+ FSB capable 965P board, and hopefully getting to 3.5ghz on the e6300.

Is the extra 700 mhz worth the hassle/cost of switching boards?

Thanx

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
If you're a gamer, and have SLI'd 8800GTX's, yes. If you're making your living from how much performance you get out of your processor, then yes. If neither of those is true, I wouldn't change a thing, personally.

Apr 17, 2003
thanx myocardia, I was thinking the same. with a 320mb 8800GTS, I dont see think a 2.8ghz is a bottle neck.

Bump for more responses.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
I agree it wouldn't be worth it, especially for gaming. If you want to run higher mhz, I would swap the CPU for a E6600 or E4400, that would be a much easier and probably cheaper swap than changing out the mobo which would require gutting your system and reformating and reinstalling windows.

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
Like others have said, you probably won't see any difference in gaming (if that is your main concern). Granted, at times, it depends on the game you play and the resolution you play at. But here is a review showing CPU scaling across several games with a GTS. link

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006
oh i think a 2.8ghz c2d would definitely be fine with an 8800gts. personally i dont think its worth the hassle or cost of upgrading. plus you dont even know if your processor can clock that high; for all you know 2.8ghz is it's limit, and if that were the case you would just be wasting your time. you got a free 1ghz speed bump out of it, just be happy with that. what you could do to see what kind of difference you'd see is run some benchmarks (or whatever you want to compare) on the processor at stock, then overclock it by 700mhz, run them again, and compare the results. since the performance increase is pretty much linear on these chips, you would see a pretty similar difference in stock > 700mhz above stock as you would with 2.8ghz>3.5ghz. if you really wanted to get a good analysis you could also clock it at 2.1ghz and see how that compares to 2.8, or if you really really really want to see you could take results at 100mhz increments and see if you can find the rate at which it increases with respect to the clock speed, derive an equation, and plug 3.5ghz into said equation to see approximately how well it'd run. of course, this is if you really really want to find out. just testing 2 that are 700mhz apart would probably be fine, although if you wanted to be thorough more testing at different speeds would be the way to go.

i hope that made sense.