How much oil will come out if I remove the filter?

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Yesterday I tried to change the oil in my wife ’11 odyssey. After draining out the old oil I couldn’t get the damn filter off. The filter cap kept slipping even though it was supposed to fit. After trying for a while I decided to put new oil in and change the filter later, after I get a different tool to do the job.

Now my question is how much oil will come out if I remove and replace just the filter? Or should I drain the oil first to re-use after changing out the filter?

thanks

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Depends on where it is located on the engine. The lower it is, the more oil will drain out. This will likely be a very messy job, you might want to just drain the oil out first and then fill it again with fresh oil.

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Depends on where it is located on the engine. The lower it is, the more oil will drain out. This will likely be a very messy job, you might want to just drain the oil out first and then fill it again with fresh oil.

i'd hate the waste them 0w-20 "honda" oil that i bought from the dealer. I guess I will have to drain and re-use.

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
If this was the first ever oil change, then I'm not surprised. Factory puts them on super tight.

Also if you tried to take it off and not smashed that filter, u didn't put in a lot of effort. Get a strap wrench or a claw type, those cups are hit or miss.

To answer ur question, it could/should be little to .5 quart pending in size and stuff.

Sent from my Nexus One

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Yes it was the first oil change for the van. i bought a Lisle filter wrench , one of those that tightens as you turn things. i thought about hammering a screwdriver thru the old filter but didn't want to make huge mess or risk tearing off the housing with the base still stuck there so i decided to remove it later with a proper tool.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
i'd hate the waste them 0w-20 "honda" oil that i bought from the dealer. I guess I will have to drain and re-use.

That's an option also, just make sure that what you drain it into is very clean and keep dirt etc from contaminating it because whatever gets into it is going right back into your engine.

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
I love doing all my own stuff, but for the most part it's easier to just pay someone to do the oil change. Around here, oil changes are about $22 after everything is said and done with. The oil and filter, if you bought it yourself, is already pretty much that, and then you have to worry about clean up and disposal.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I love doing all my own stuff, but for the most part it's easier to just pay someone to do the oil change. Around here, oil changes are about $22 after everything is said and done with. The oil and filter, if you bought it yourself, is already pretty much that, and then you have to worry about clean up and disposal.

Yeah, in a lot of places it's very inexpensive to have someone else do it. I'm almost paranoid about my cars, though, so I always do it myself (I run synthetic too, so that would jack up the price if I had a shop do it).

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
around here an oil change with synthetic (the 0w-20 stuff) is way more than $22

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I believe the only oil you will lose is what's in the filter itself...usually 1/4-1/2 quart. Just buy an extra quart and refill to full per the dipstick.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I believe the only oil you will lose is what's in the filter itself...usually 1/4-1/2 quart. Just buy an extra quart and refill to full per the dipstick.

It depends on where on the engine the oil filter is mounted. On my motorcycle it is very low on the front of the engine so you'd get a lot of oil out of it if you just took the filter off without draining the engine first.

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
i think the filter is pretty low in my case,

ody.JPG

what do you guys think?

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Yes it was the first oil change for the van. i bought a Lisle filter wrench , one of those that tightens as you turn things. i thought about hammering a screwdriver thru the old filter but didn't want to make huge mess or risk tearing off the housing with the base still stuck there so i decided to remove it later with a proper tool.

I had to do this with my first oil change from the O&M oil filter, there was a lot of cussing and oil everywhere. It can also happen if you don't put that thin film of oil on the filter to where it physically mates with the engine (Atleast thats what my dad told me, so I always get a little oil on my finger, run it along the oil filter rim before screwing it on. So as my dad put it, the filter wouldn't get "welded" to the engine).

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I had to do this with my first oil change from the O&M oil filter, there was a lot of cussing and oil everywhere. It can also happen if you don't put that thin film of oil on the filter to where it physically mates with the engine (Atleast thats what my dad told me, so I always get a little oil on my finger, run it along the oil filter rim before screwing it on. So as my dad put it, the filter wouldn't get "welded" to the engine).
Just lube the gasket that comes with the filter with some fresh oil and you'll be OK.

I've heard that particularly stubborn filters can be removed by stabbing them through with a screwdriver and twisting off.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Just lube the gasket that comes with the filter with some fresh oil and you'll be OK.

I've heard that particularly stubborn filters can be removed by stabbing them through with a screwdriver and twisting off.

Correct, thats what I was trying to explain :thumbsup:

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Correct, thats what I was trying to explain :thumbsup:

I always lube the gasket with new oil as well. Stabbing with a screwdriver could sometimes rip the housing off, leaving the base stuck and even bigger pain in the ass to remove.

What do you think about leaving the old filter there until the next oil change? Maybe change it when at 30% oil life?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

I tried that once. It tore up the filter casing but still wouldn't come off. Almost had to have it towed to a mechanic but finally got that fucker off of there.

I would recommend this only as a last resort.

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
FWIW I had terrible luck with the "self tightening' type of wrenches, the $2 strap wrench works way better.

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
lol, oh the first oil filter change... from my thread...
Yesterday I attempted to remove the old oil filter -shiiiiiiit! Im pretty sure Hercules was the idiot who put this thing on.
IMAG0404.jpg

I first tried using a belt wrench thinger majing to get it off, didn’t budge but twisted the housing. I then jammed a screwdriver straight thru and tried turning it, but it just tore the thing - didn’t budge. Doing this caused the filter to rip off its base, which was a good thing because I was then able to get a screwdriver into a hole just inside the lip and hammer on it (with a hammer) and it eventually started to twist off. Holy mother of… I was cursing pretty hard at this thing and danced a jig once it was off.

Also, RIGHTY TIGHTY, LEFTY LOOSY

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I honestly feel so much better I'm not alone having gone through this experience. Lmao. I didn't even think the casing could come off like that when I did it, luckily I was able to loosen it enough with the screw driver hammed in to finally remove it by hand.

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
i also hate the idea of hammering on the filter and damaging the spout/stem/whatever that it screws onto.

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
stuff happens. Sometimes oil filters are put on by the hulk.

Only put a screw driver thru it if your dead set on getting that off.

normal oil changes around here is about $25-35. I haven't been to on lately but i do see fliers. I don't trust most with such a simple task because of the possible outcomes it could be. in most cases it should be just about equal, $25 for bulk oil and non name filter. It cost me now $18.50 for GTX and $5 for pureone filter (both prices are non sale items) It takes me a while to fight the shield on G35, 10-13 10mm nuts holding the shield on.

May 13, 2009
I save like $4 changing my own oil and would still do it if it saved me nothing.

The belt strap has always worked best for me for removing oil filters.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
i also hate the idea of hammering on the filter and damaging the spout/stem/whatever that it screws onto.

true, but thats rare. the screw mount is ridiculously tough for obvious reasons. the filter is just a tin can. i would bet you could take a sledgehammer and straight smash a filter off without damage to the engine, but of course that would be stupid to actually do.

the only time i jammed a screwdriver in a filter is when a strap wrench was already smashing the can and wouldnt grab right. got pissed, stabbed it with a screwdriver, nearly cut the filter in half by twisting but it did come off. they always come off eventually.

always oil the rubber seal before installation of new filter. that, and hand tighten only. and honestly i never tighten by hand that hard either. just snug it up and give it 3/4 turn or so and its plenty good. i get mad when i go to change my oil and i cant get my filter off by hand... that said, i did once put on my filter too loose, but that is noticed IMMEDIATELY once you start the engine.

i tend to keep oil pan bolts a little tighter then i should, because those can leak very slow and you never know it until all the oil is gone.