How much of a cash discount would it take for you to not pay at the pump?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Some people are talking about going back to cash discounts when buying gas. The gas station owners are not making a lot of money even with the high gas prices, and the credit card fees eat up a lot of the profit.

How much of a cash discount would it take to get you to pay inside instead of credit card or debit card at the pump?

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: kranky
Some people are talking about going back to cash discounts when buying gas. The gas station owners are not making a lot of money even with the high gas prices, and the credit card fees eat up a lot of the profit.

How much of a cash discount would it take to get you to pay inside instead of credit card or debit card at the pump?

At 3 cents/gal we are talking about a 1% discount, meaning I would save $7.00 over the course of a year. Not worth it for me.

EDIT: For it even to be worth it, I would need to see at least a 10% discount (but in all reality, probably more), which is next to impossible.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Originally posted by: kranky

At 3 cents/gal we are talking about a 1% discount, meaning I would save $7.00 over the course of a year. Not worth it for me.

EDIT: For it even to be worth it, I would need to see at least a 10% discount (but in all reality, probably more), which is next to impossible.
Bingo

Sad thing is a lot of people probably will resort to this, just like that free $30 in gas that one time that people waited all day for.

Now for someone who drives a gas guzzling truck or owns a business & drives something like that a lot, it might add up and they could plan to pay with cash.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Just give me whatever discount offsets the extra amount I am paying because of credit cards. I have no problem running inside to the ATM (my bank so no fees) and getting cash. 30 seconds per fill-up for a 2-3% discount each time is worth it over time.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
The funny thing is that most people would say "Oh, OK. I'll pay inside then." And then attempt to pay with a debit or credit card anyway.

As has been stated already, the discount would have to be substantial (10%) in order for me to inconvenience myself and remember to get money from the ATM.

I carry no more than about $20 in cash, if that much. I use my debit card for all my purchases. It's how I'm getting out of CC debt. Hooray for me. :beer:

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
canadian tire already takes 10 cents off a litre to use their card. it helps they are a bank, store, gas station, etc.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
canadian tire already takes 10 cents off a litre to use their card. it helps they are a bank, store, gas station, etc.

Wow. We need some of those Canadian Tire stores in the states. 10 cents off a litre is about....40 cents off a gallon! With such cheap gas prices, how can Canada afford an Army? Oh wait...

;)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
A lot of rural gas stations in South Dakota already offer a $.10 a gallon cash discount. I save 5% using my Citi Bank Dividend card, so I'm better off going that route and paying at the pump.

Aug 16, 2001
It has to be a lot. Some people already get 5% off using a CC. I get 1% off. Add to that interest on the cash I don't use (yeah not much but it still counts).
I'd say $0.20 rebate would work for me.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
When this was common in the 1980's I always paid cash. I will always buy the cheapest, it costs me nothing to use cash instead of a CC/Debit card.

thehstrybean

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2004
I noticed on my way back from Hilton Head that a lot of places in SC & GA have that...An inside price and outside price...It was weird to me at first until I figured out why they did it...I just do whichever...It's all still the same here in TN

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i almost always pay with cash unless i am using the company card or don't have enough cash on me.

i'm one of those people who still carries cash all the time. i don't like putting stuff on credit card and having to pay interest.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex
i almost always pay with cash unless i am using the company card or don't have enough cash on me.

i'm one of those people who still carries cash all the time. i don't like putting stuff on credit card and having to pay interest.

Mastermoney or Visa debit card FTW!

You pay no interest, the money comes straight from your checking account, you rack up rewards points, you don't have to pull out cash at ATMs all the time, and you get an itemized statement at the end of each month so you can see exactly where you spent all your money.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: QED

You pay no interest, the money comes straight from your checking account, you rack up rewards points, you don't have to pull out cash at ATMs all the time, and you get an itemized statement at the end of each month so you can see exactly where you spent all your money.

but then i have to add all that crap into my check book and stuff. yeah, i'm lazy

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
On a lot of the highways around here they have signs that state a Cash price for diesel vs credit, not doing it for regular gas cars yet but its a start I guess.

If I recall it's about 3 cents less per gallon.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005

but then i have to add all that crap into my check book and stuff. yeah, i'm lazy

Wait a minute... you still balance your checkbook manually?

Just get Money or Quicken and do it online in a few seconds. I'm about as lazy as can be when it comes to this sort of stuff and it's a piece of cake...

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If they want people to buy things inside then they should hire young hot looking female attendants.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
I saw a .10/gal discount if you pay for gas just north of flagstaff AZ on a recent road trip.

It was rather nice.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I never pay at the pump anyway. Give me a 1 cent per gallon discount, that will be fine :p

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

They give you the cash price for a debit card purchase? And what % rewards do you get?