• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

how much more power consumption would my htpc consume if i put a discrete vid card in

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
I have a Radeon HD7770 that i haven't had the time to put into my HTPC. It's currently running an i3-3225 and is basically a DVR with a ceton infinitv4. If i installed the discrete vid card, how much more power should i expect this pc to consume at idle, and while watching tv? Does the GPU run at "load" when watching a h264 movie or streaming cable tv? This HTPC is always on or on sort of standby because of the need to record tv.

I would like to install it because I like the idea that I could casually play street fighter 4 on my big screen sitting on the couch. and yes, the i3-3225 is miserable when it comes to gaming!!

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
thanks. I still can't seem to find a one for one power consumption comparison of the HD4000 vs the AMD 7770. i should expect some type of penalty though.

atm743

Mar 29, 2012
at idle you could be adding i'd say 20 or 30 more watts to it depending what video card you add.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
skyking Home Theater PCs 1
skyking Home Theater PCs 0

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS