How much more hardware intensive is The Sims 3 than 2?

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
I have athlon 64 3200 @ 2.5, 1gb ram, and 6800 gt. Sims 2 runs pretty nicely on mostly high settings. Is the sims 3 much more intensive? Will it be sluggish? I meet the minimum req's but you know how conservative those are.

boran

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2001
The Sims3 is rather more resource intensive than the Sims 2, I'm afraid your ram will be the weakest link (altho a single core and older GFX card isnt too great either). You meet the minimum specs to, unless you have Vista.

http://www.thesims3.com/game/systemreq

I think it will run with most stuff turned down.

WildW

Oct 3, 2008
evilpicard.com
My GF and I could never get Sims 2 running well, even on fairly modern dual-core machines (although she does seem to insist on using Sims 2 to build skyscrapers) - in contrast our experience of Sims 3 was that it ran better than Sims 2 on the same PC.

I've tried running Sims 3 on a single core 3200 (stock) with 8600GT and 1.5GB ram, and it wasn't much fun. It really does want a dual core CPU. Ram makes a major difference too. . . 1.5 was not really enough. It's okay if you're in one place, but the way Sims 3 seamlessly moves between locations really stuggles without fast everything.