Question How much longer for Intel 10th-Gen DIY-channel CPUs?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
These seem to be somewhat discounted, which is a bit unusual for Intel.

Right now, these are value-leading parts, for system-builders that either can't find 5000-series Ryzen CPUs, or otherwise don't want to pay the "Zen premium".

Are these being fire-saled, and will the supply dry up in 1-2 months?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It can't dry up until Alder Lake-S takes over the market, assuming Intel can ship in enough volume for that to happen. Rocket Lake-S doesn't have enough SKUs to replace Comet Lake-S entirely.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Old processors are produced and sold for many years. I just did a quick search for Intel 6th generation low end chips and they are available from both Newegg and Amazon. You could probably get even older generations, but I just didn't bother to look. I wouldn't worry about 10th generation going away any time soon.

There is a separate problem when comes to low end chips however. They are being snapped up quickly by miners. That makes it hard to find the low end chips and when you do, the prices are higher than MSRP.

I've never quite understood your desire for low-end computers though. If performance matters at all, you get so much better performance by going up to the i3 line. Or if performance doesn't matter, you can pick up dozens or hundreds of low-end full computers at a government auction for ~$40 each and that includes all components you could want (your mileage will vary though from auction to auction). The new-but-crappy computer just isn't a value that I really see.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There is a separate problem when comes to low end chips however. They are being snapped up quickly by miners. That makes it hard to find the low end chips and when you do, the prices are higher than MSRP.
This is why I snapped up three G6400 (2C/4T 4.0Ghz 10-Gen Pentium Gold) CPUs recently, from aaawave.com, they were "on sale" for MSRP, or $59.99. (Newegg wanted more, as did major vendors on ebay.)

It seemed like one of the few "reasonable" low-end performance CPUs that you wouldn't get nauseous using, that wasn't being scalped (yet).

OTOH, G3900 Skylake Celerons, were going for $99. Those used to have a, I believe, $39 MSRP.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Seems supply is drying up on G6400 Pentium Gold 2C/4T 4.0Ghz CPUs. Bought the last three that 'antonline' was offering through Newegg for $69.99 the other night. (Had five in cart, it let me add them, but when I went to check out, it said "insufficient qty.", and limited me to three. So they were apparently selling somewhat briskly.)

There was another vendor selling them for $70+ with shipping that I didn't recognize, and then the next recognizable vendor was 'beachaudio', for $99, or $90 ea. with qty. 10+.

So, either the disty price has gone up on these, or supply is getting constrained, or something is happening.

"Traditional" vendors on ebay are drying up for G6400 CPUs, Newegg themselves isn't offering them anymore (currently, at least), and supplies @ $70 or less seem to be virtually non-existant (got the last three, I think).

Considering what happened to G3900 and G3930 CPUs (mining!), raising their prices from $39 to $99 or higher, I expect that part of the demand for 10th-Gen Pentium GPUs (and celerons, which are still available @ $59 right now) is mining. The other half is, people looking to buy 500-series mobos, and drop in a Rocket Lake 8-core later on, and probably some people that just recognize a good value for a more than "good enough" desktop / browser PC, even gaming at some level.

Edit: I also noticed a rise in price in the i3-10100 (F) CPUs, especially the non-F. Before, Newegg had them for $110-115, now they're $150(!). Certainly getting more popular as an alternative to AMD's overpriced (IMHO) Zen3 CPUs.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
This is why I snapped up three G6400 (2C/4T 4.0Ghz 10-Gen Pentium Gold) CPUs recently, from aaawave.com, they were "on sale" for MSRP, or $59.99. (Newegg wanted more, as did major vendors on ebay.)

It seemed like one of the few "reasonable" low-end performance CPUs that you wouldn't get nauseous using, that wasn't being scalped (yet).

OTOH, G3900 Skylake Celerons, were going for $99. Those used to have a, I believe, $39 MSRP.

Off topic, but I am shocked to see aaawave.com have the 1600 AF for $149.99 while the 2600 is still ~$190 everywhere.

Last edited:

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Seems supply is drying up on G6400 Pentium Gold 2C/4T 4.0Ghz CPUs. Bought the last three that 'antonline' was offering through Newegg for $69.99 the other night. (Had five in cart, it let me add them, but when I went to check out, it said "insufficient qty.", and limited me to three. So they were apparently selling somewhat briskly.)

There was another vendor selling them for $70+ with shipping that I didn't recognize, and then the next recognizable vendor was 'beachaudio', for $99, or $90 ea. with qty. 10+.

So, either the disty price has gone up on these, or supply is getting constrained, or something is happening.

"Traditional" vendors on ebay are drying up for G6400 CPUs, Newegg themselves isn't offering them anymore (currently, at least), and supplies @ $70 or less seem to be virtually non-existant (got the last three, I think).

Considering what happened to G3900 and G3930 CPUs (mining!), raising their prices from $39 to $99 or higher, I expect that part of the demand for 10th-Gen Pentium GPUs (and celerons, which are still available @ $59 right now) is mining. The other half is, people looking to buy 500-series mobos, and drop in a Rocket Lake 8-core later on, and probably some people that just recognize a good value for a more than "good enough" desktop / browser PC, even gaming at some level.

Edit: I also noticed a rise in price in the i3-10100 (F) CPUs, especially the non-F. Before, Newegg had them for $110-115, now they're $150(!). Certainly getting more popular as an alternative to AMD's overpriced (IMHO) Zen3 CPUs.

Yeah, but Zen 3 is their halo product right now, and Zen 2 is their value product.

If you look at Micro Center prices / quantities, 10100F is $80 and 10100 is $100, but they seem to be selling, 10400F for $130 and 10400 for $150 have a lot of stock.

Athlon 3000G seems to have gotten a restock at $50, but they always go quick.