how much longer do u think Voodoo 5's will last

Jan 24, 2000
I'm just wondering how much longer you think Voodoo users like myself can hold on b4 finally having to upgrade to play and get all the bells and whistles out of games.... To me it seems that Marrowind is really the first one to over tax my V5...

Eloric

richleader

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Last I heard, Voodoo 5's aren't biodegradable, so maybe about 5000 years or so in a compost pit would do the job.

sirsleepsalot

Sep 26, 2001
I'd kill it right away... hehehe

Actualy, with all the stuff that's coming out for vidcards right now, i'd give it a year, maybe 2 max...

Jan 24, 2000
Oreo- i agree i do think UT 2003 will bring V5's to thier knees... its ironic to me that it would be an Unreal game since the orginal Unreal was buil around 3dfx cards and ran them better than any other.... but yet know it could be Unreal that deals them the final blow

richleader... hehe hadn't looked at that way.. but ur right... long live voodoo.. king of the compost pile

sirsleepsalot- ah, it was the fact that i am thinking of upgrading that got me wondering bout how much longer it will last...now jsut gotta get over giving my money to the company that killed them or go with ATI hmm...,

Ya know i think it speaks highly of 3dfx that V5's are still able to run games very well though, esp since from a tech. stand point they are old, and yet on pricewatch they still sell for 100.00...

my conlcusion is shorter than 2 years though, i give them one year max, most likely next winter or spring i think they will be unable to hang in there...

ELoric

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
My original GeForce DDR still runs any game... granted not fast with all the settings turned to max, but it can still run it at acceptable frame rates.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
well seeing as the voodoo5 is about as fast as a geforce2 mx 400 or a bit faster, i'd give it another 6 months before you cant play the latest stuff. when the directx 8 games start coming out it'll be pretty bad.

kazeakuma

Golden Member
Feb 13, 2001
With driver support the V5 could conceivably last (ie run games, no matter how slowly) 12 months, 18 if you don't mind 5 fps at 640*480.
Without.... 6 months. Already games are problematic on the V5 (MOH:AA, JKII, any DX8 based game really) and without real driver updates the V5 is left in the cold. A pity really, cos I plan to keep mine until it dies. I use it to run old glide games or old games with low res (I run FSAA on those, no matter what the V5 still has the best FSAA). Thankfully I had the foresight to buy the PCI version which means I can keep it and another beast card in my system.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Yeah, it's not the poor performance but compatibility issues. With an increasing number of games you would be better off with something even slower if it at least lets you play.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
The Voodoo5 is already over the hill in terms of performance. Most modern games like RTCW, JK2 and MOHAA tax the card greatly and there's no way that you'll be playing them with all the bells and whistles.

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Yes, the voodoo 5 5000 are the last gasp of air 3dfx had. Sad seeing it go. I still have one in an old box. This card was really decent, if only more updated drivers came out for it, but I highly doubt it, as nvidia wants you to buy their new cards (more $) rather than use an old card.

Oh well, I don't think it'll last more than a year before it's taken to it's knees. The new games based on DX8 and DX9 will be the final blow for the V5.

I have a really odd feeling the new NV30 video card will be called a voodoo card... don't ask why but why else is it "hush-hush" about the new name? After all, the Voodoo cards are more of a consumer name than nvidia Geforce and ATI Radeon ever was! That in itself is worth a few million less in advertising ;)

Remember, you heard it here first! ;)

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I have a really odd feeling the new NV30 video card will be called a voodoo card...
I highly doubt it as that will completely detract from nVidia and bring back the image of 3dfx. Last time I checked, there aren't any companies that want to promote competitors' products especially if earlier versions of those products are still circulating in the market.

Picture Grandma buying a Voodoo4 and then being told that it's obsolete and unsupported despite her seeing an ad for "Voodoo" just yesterday on TV.

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: eloric the 2nd
I'm just wondering how much longer you think Voodoo users like myself can hold on b4 finally having to upgrade to play and get all the bells and whistles out of games.... To me it seems that Marrowind is really the first one to over tax my V5...Eloric
I'd say you've been SOL for some time if you wanna get all the bells and whistles out of a game with a V5.

HardWareXpert

Dec 12, 2001
I still think games are suffering from 3dfx, 16-bit textures, 256x256 texture sizes, a API (Glide ) only written for 3dfx cards, my god, even the TNT2 supported 32-bit textures and 2048x2048 texture size, they even tried to use there own compressed texture format instead of S3's great S3TC technology. :disgust:

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I think you should keep the voodoo 5 in case Duke Nukem Forever comes out. I hear it uses the original Unreal engine, if that's the case, your voodoo 5 could best the GF 4 Ti series easily ;). If DNF becomes a hit, your Voodoo 5 could bring you a nice profit from the Sale/Trade forum. It could happen!

Brian48

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
I think you should keep the voodoo 5 in case Duke Nukem Forever comes out. I hear it uses the original Unreal engine, if that's the case, your voodoo 5 could best the GF 4 Ti series easily . If DNF becomes a hit, your Voodoo 5 could bring you a nice profit from the Sale/Trade forum. It could happen!

Where have you been? Epic dropped the Glide engine for Duke Nukem Forever over a year ago. DNF is going to be Direct3D only (no Glide or OpenGL). It will be optimized for DirectX8. At the time of the decision, the card they were using as a baseline was GeForce DDR/GeForce2. Voodoo is dead.

Soldat

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2000
the voodoo5 was 2nd rate before it even came out.........and i was a loyal 3dfx customer up until that point

upgrade now

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"DNF is going to be Direct3D only (no Glide or OpenGL). It will be optimized for DirectX8."

By the time it comes out it better be optimized for DirectX12.

:)

Jan 24, 2000
Sunner i can actually play RTCW with details on hight at 800 * 600 easily and eve at 1024 * 768 its still good FPS's not the ultra high things like 80 or 90 or so.... but its playable... but i fear that will be the last first person shooter that will run with decently...

and as for upgrading now... the need is not there just yet to justify the cost unless anyone has some extra cash laying around hehe ;) but i am looking at doing an upgrade with in the next 6 months... kinda waiting for ATI to release thier next generation card.... though the a G4 4200 or 4400 os tempting to me..

ya know i started this thread to get a slight consensus as to what others though bout the life in left in 3dfx's last product... Its interesting that we all tend to agree that with in 12 months max more than likely 6 months that the last of 3dfx's products will go by the wayside... than again i am pysch. major so maybe that is why its interesting :)

i do have one comment bout the V5's being second rate... i dissagree. they might not have been the fastest thing on the market like 3dfx had hoped but they were user friendly i dont know anyone that had trouble with installing them, and great customer support... all of which counts for how good the card is IMHO, also when i do i upgrade mine will be forsale hehe, or put into another system jsut for old times sake ... long live voodoo, God rest its sould hehe

Eloric

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Click me!---New WinXP drivers come out May 25!!

Yes, the Voodoo5 5500 is getting nearer to it's end, but it runs RTCW, MOHAA, and other recent games very well. The GeForce 4 finally is coming close in FSAA quality, perhaps the Matrox Pahrelia(sp) will actually surpass it. The Voodoo5 5500 was never 2nd rate, it was just misunderstood. :( :D

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
yup me too wish i hadn't broken my gf2 gts it stompted the V5
ohh well
i'll upgrade some day heh
i wanna get my 300 dollars worth outta the sucker first haha

Jan 24, 2000
actually from compareing G4 screen shots to what i see i'd rate it at about 3/4 the effects.... but i think the interview on gameSpy really does sh9ow the end for V5's with this quote "The slowest cards will be the 64 bit and SDR ram GF and Radeon cards, which will really not be fast enough to play the game properly unless you run at 320x240 or so" - John Carmack so if V5's could pust past the next UT game looks like Doom III will finish them off... such a shame :(

Eloric