How much longer can the USA propel the global economy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: freegeeks
Originally posted by: etech
Originally posted by: Dudd
Etech, wtf are you trying to prove???

the only thing you are proving for the moment is that you are a French basher (like usual) and just like everywhere in the world the French economy is having troubles

He's refuting Moonbeams point. Sure, Moonie wants everyone to live just like the French do. Long lunches, weeks and weeks of vacation. Sure, it sounds nice, but people in the US are ranting about 6% unemployment. Now increase that by 50%, and heads would be ready to roll. There are consequences to both the US economic system and the French, and etech is simply pointing out where we could be heading if Moonies vision of the world comes true.

Exactly, I thought it was obvious. Moonie was the one that brought France into this thread. I was pointing out that France has its problems also. As the US has a Social Security problem looming France has a huge pension problem looming. Have you read of the strikes in France over the cutting of unemployment benifits?

The main point of this thread was to point out that no matter what the US does with its economy it will take a world wide recovery before the US can fully recover. Think about that when the dems try to blame the economy on Pres. Bush. If you know the facts then you will know that they are lying.

yip, Moonie brought France into the thread and you quickly wanted to prove how "lazy" they are (with their unemploymeny rate they have time for the long lunches). Of course it could be that my sarcasm meter is not functioning (but I doubt it).

I agree with the rest of your post that economics has little to do who the president is. We are living in a globalized economy. If it's going bad in the USA, it's going bad in Europe, Japan, ... and vice versa.

Where did I say the French were lazy? That is only your flawed interpretation of what I posted, it was not implied or suggested in anything I posted.

The fact that the world's economy is gloablized means that the dems cannot honestly use the economy against Pres. Bush during the next election. They will try, but it will be a lie on their part.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Dudd
Etech, wtf are you trying to prove???

the only thing you are proving for the moment is that you are a French basher (like usual) and just like everywhere in the world the French economy is having troubles

He's refuting Moonbeams point. Sure, Moonie wants everyone to live just like the French do. Long lunches, weeks and weeks of vacation. Sure, it sounds nice, but people in the US are ranting about 6% unemployment. Now increase that by 50%, and heads would be ready to roll. There are consequences to both the US economic system and the French, and etech is simply pointing out where we could be heading if Moonies vision of the world comes true.

Exactly, I thought it was obvious. Moonie was the one that brought France into this thread. I was pointing out that France has its problems also. As the US has a Social Security problem looming France has a huge pension problem looming. Have you read of the strikes in France over the cutting of unemployment benifits?

The main point of this thread was to point out that no matter what the US does with its economy it will take a world wide recovery before the US can fully recover. Think about that when the dems try to blame the economy on Pres. Bush. If you know the facts then you will know that they are lying.

yip, Moonie brought France into the thread and you quickly wanted to prove how "lazy" they are (with their unemploymeny rate they have time for the long lunches). Of course it could be that my sarcasm meter is not functioning (but I doubt it).

I agree with the rest of your post that economics has little to do who the president is. We are living in a globalized economy. If it's going bad in the USA, it's going bad in Europe, Japan, ... and vice versa.

Where did I say the French were lazy? That is only your flawed interpretation of what I posted, it was not implied or suggested in anything I posted.

The fact that the world's economy is gloablized means that the dems cannot honestly use the economy against Pres. Bush during the next election. They will try, but it will be a lie on their part.

ok I apologize for the French comment

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Thank you.

What do you think is the dems chance to spread the lie that the economic downturn is all Pres. Bush's fault?

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001

Thank you.

What do you think is the dems chance to spread the lie that the economic downturn is all Pres. Bush's fault?

I think a lot of people believe this kind of stuff

If the dems play it smart they can do real damage by focusing on the "bad economy" thing. Add to that the Iraqi controversy and you have some good material to win elections. After all Bush senior lost the elections because of bad economic times. Even a victory in the first gulf war could not save him.

In elections all over the world, politicians are trying to blame each other for unemployment ....
people can identify with these kind of problems (just like people are very sensitive about security,....)

edit: i just want to add that even if the govt. doesn't have much influence about the economy, they are still resonsible for the budget. Having this giant deficit is IMO not a good thing ...