How much horsepower will it take to give you that vroom vroom?

AlphaIVT

Banned
Jul 26, 2000
My dad's Avalon (190hp) is powerful enough. But my mom's 84 Volvo 740GLE (whats the hp on this?) is slow as hell. Will 155HP (from the Altima) be just as powerful?

will a BMW 330i's 225hp be more powerful than the Avalon's? i mean will you REALLY notice it?

Supradude

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2000
well, "vroom vroom" i assume you mean "get up and go" is torque based so HP has little to do with it... how fast you accelerate is due in part to the torque rating of the motor, and also largely in part to the weight and suspenion of the car, hence a smaller lesser HP car say Altima, may have more "vroomm vroom" than a larger, higher HP sedan... all depends on the engineering

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

<< will a BMW 330i's 225hp be more powerful than the Avalon's? i mean will you REALLY notice it? >>

Depends on how hard you drive the car. Someone like me for example, would notice it :)

TuffGuy

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
it depends on how heavy the car is, what type of engine is in it, and the aerodynamics of the car.

also, a 4-cylinder turbo is generally faster than a plain old v6 (same size(liter) engine). it depends on a lot of factors, not just power. although adding more power will make it go faster.

smp

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
I have a toyota camry 88.. V6 with a stick.. definately not a sports car.. about three years ago, when I used to get into street races with ppl at lights.. I'de never lose.. be it my quick shifting? their slow shifting (auto)? or my car.. I don't know.. but I won about 95% of the time..
and no.. I wasn't racing sh!t cars either.. I raced some acuras.. preludes.. souped up civics.. a vovlo s70 and anyone that would race me.. I'de even challenge buddies in really nice cars, but they would never want to race, and if they did, they beat me, but not by too much..
of course, no REAL cars.. porches etc..
but it hauled ass.. and it already had over 200,000 km on it..
I drove that thing 210 km/h and the accelaration was better than the 99 Maxima ES that my folks have now (also stick)
the camry had 150 horses, and the Maxima has 190.. it depends on the torque too, the wieght of the car.. so on..
I don't know about altimas.. never driven one..
it also depends on the gear ration and a bunch of sh!t.. I drove around an M3 and the accelaration off the bottom wasn't all that.. but on the highway.. forget about it.. it ripped.. and the cornering.. let's not even go there.. PIMP

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
for the most part its gearing (low end vs high end) and horsepower to weight ratio. sport models are geared for less mpg and faster acceleration.

family vehicles are geared towards better mpg, hence worse acceleration.

if you wanna burn rubber, you need torque and lots of it :) the straight 6 in bmw's have awesome torque due to the nature of the motor being inline 6 ..

obviously an automatic will not have the same oomph (well maybe tiptronic) as a stick.

I like about 240 ft/lbs of torque for a family sedan.

a maxima is a great combination of power and sedan.

altima's are not meant to be the sporty model.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
I've ridden in an 155hp altima, it kinda sucked. Felt like a 4-cyl. Not like my 93' Maxima which produces 160hp. My Maxima has taken some cars that it really should not... :)

smp

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
yeah dude.. that's because it's JAPANESE..
<edit> the maxima </edit>

Ladies Man

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
mustangs give you that nice vroom vroom sound
and they kick rice burners butts too

you'll notice when you hit the gas petal :)

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I like my 300+...

Nothing like a strong 10PSI pull around a sweeping turn.. (It's turbocharged)

Boioioioioinnnnnnnnggggggggggg!

AlphaIVT

Banned
Jul 26, 2000
i do'nt like american cars.

i didn't really mean &quot;vroom&quot;vroom, just wanted to konw how much horsepower will it take to give that power.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
dude 10psi vroom around a corner was scarey!!

vortex S-trim @ 10psi
on mustang 5.0 ported heads/cobra intakes, 380hp/400 ft/lbs of torque!!!

i just tried to drive straight when the pedal was to the metal!!

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
LadiesMan: You cannot count the amount of Mustangs I've crushed with the Maxima. It's SAD. I'm not saying I'm taking out the topend cars, but the average 'Stang doesn't got nothing anymore...

Ladies Man

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
i'd go as far as saying i could beat you in the 87 thunderbird turbo coupe
:)

that 4 cyl has some kick with the turbo

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
<<LadiesMan: You cannot count the amount of Mustangs I've crushed with the Maxima. >>

Maybe 4 cylinder Mustangs. Certainly not V-8's. No way, no how. Not if they were trying and their cars were running on at least 6 of the 8 cylinders.