How much honest to goodness work do you do in a week?

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
yet another friday where I've done close to nothing. I'd estimate my total work time per 40hr week comes in just shy of 6hrs (total).

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
You're a lazy bastard! I would guess tha I put in a good 30-35 hours for a 40 hour week. The other time is spent waiting around at my desk for the next call. Generally neffing during that time.

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I usually come in about 15 minutes late. I use the side door, so Lumbergh doesn't see me. Usually space out for about an hour or two. I do that for a while after lunch too. In any given week, I'd say I do about 15 minutes of real, actual work.

:D

Haircut

Platinum Member
Apr 23, 2000
This week probably about 20-25 hours, but it has been a very slow week.
Normally I reckon I spend a good 90% of my time at work actually doing work.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: isaacmacdonald
yet another friday where I've done close to nothing. I'd estimate my total work time per 40hr week comes in just shy of 6hrs (total).

We've discussed this before.

IT are payed to be available. when there's work we work our asses off til it's done. If you can do that and if you can keep management from having to think about technical stuff then it's all good and they'll keep you.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
I'm a tester and there's plenty to do here. I work 60 hour weeks, I'd say 30 hours of it spent actually doing working.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Lately, not much indeed. Probably averaged about 12 hours of work per week for the past couple of months. I usually try to put in 25 - 30 hours a week but I've been lacking motivation / had too many distractions.

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: djheater

We've discussed this before.

IT are payed to be available. when there's work we work our asses off til it's done. If you can do that and if you can keep management from having to think about technical stuff then it's all good and they'll keep you.

Pretty much. I may not be doing much work right now (I'm the tech support guy for my company), but if someone calls or emails, I am there to answer their questions. I also do a good bit of website design and development as well, though.

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Encryptic
I usually come in about 15 minutes late. I use the side door, so Lumbergh doesn't see me. Usually space out for about an hour or two. I do that for a while after lunch too. In any given week, I'd say I do about 15 minutes of real, actual work.

so what would you say.... ya do here <deadpans>?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Depends how many computers take a dive...some weeks I get 40 extra hours of sleep then other weeks I put 60 hours in.

Ausm

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003

Look, I already told you! I deal with the GODDAMN customers so the software people don't have to! I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people! What the hell is the matter with you people?!?

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
It depends on the month, but I'd say on average I do about 32 hours of work in a 40 hour week. I don't feel guilty about it, I know a lot of people that work way less, even in my own group. I also know people in my group that work way more, but I dont feel that they necessarily work harder than I do, I'm just more efficient.

Work smarter, not harder. I think I got that from Duck Tales.

Sideswipe001

Golden Member
May 23, 2003

Look, I already told you! I deal with the GODDAMN customers so the software people don't have to! I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people! What the hell is the matter with you people?!?

"What would you do if you had a million dollars?"

"Two chicks at once."

MrHappyMonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Sideswipe001
Originally posted by: Encryptic I usually come in about 15 minutes late. I use the side door, so Lumbergh doesn't see me. Usually space out for about an hour or two. I do that for a while after lunch too. In any given week, I'd say I do about 15 minutes of real, actual work. :D
so what would you say.... ya do here <DEADPANS>?
Look, I already told you! I deal with the GODDAMN customers so the software people don't have to! I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people! What the hell is the matter with you people?!? :D
"What would you do if you had a million dollars?" "Two chicks at once."

WRONG

It's: Two chicks at the same time.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I work probably about 50+ actual hours a week, although some of that isn't necessarily quantifiable so the pointy-hairs discount it.

Sometimes I wish I were in a corporate-monkey environment again so I could sit around and read all day :)

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
0 or 77 ... depending on if I work the week or not. I don't waste time there, I am at work to get things done, so get things done I do.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
50-60 (right now that is, however in our slack time maybe 4-5. my job is very seasonal, so when there is work to do, i stay as long as i need to, when there is nothing to do, i make up for it)

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
8-10 hours of 40 per week. I'm the network manager, so I have to be here if something goes wrong.... but mostly I just sit her and surf all day and field calls from customers and coworkers.

Some weeks I'll work even less, like 6-7 hours and some weeks I'm working the full 40 plus some extra (but I get overtime).

COmputer support position can be a very good job or a very bad job, depending on the week. :)