How much force does it take to bend a iron pipe or shear off threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enwar3

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
So I built a homemade pull-up bar like shown halfway down the page here:http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/Grunt/Bodyweight.html

It's made out of pipe and joints and stuff. My question is, it gives a little when I put my weight on it. I'm wondering how much weight it can take before something gives (pipe bends or threads shear off). I don't want to be doing pull-ups one day and have it snap on me....

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
So I built a homemade pull-up bar like shown halfway down the page here:http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/Grunt/Bodyweight.html

It's made out of pipe and joints and stuff. My question is, it gives a little when I put my weight on it. I'm wondering how much weight it can take before something gives (pipe bends or threads shear off). I don't want to be doing pull-ups one day and have it snap on me....

The actual manufactured products like that also have quite a bit of flex in them. I imagine you're ok. That looks sturdier than the manufactured version.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Depends on the type of screws & size, and same go for pipe.

Large diameter schedule 10 should be strong enough to hold up most people for such a short span, but to be sure the common 3/4" or 1" schedule 40 that you can pick up at any hardware store (such as HD) should do the trick. If you are worries then there are such thing as schudule 80 & 120 that can be order if the store don't have them in stock.

As for screw get the largest screws that you can get, or lag bolts if there is a concern.

Last edited:

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
The only thing I've ever broken when I was a pipefitter was a cast iron joint, and that was with a 36" wrench. Stay away from the cast iron if you are at all worried about it, it's more brittle. The rest of that setup, no way are you going to break it by doing pull ups.

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
The cast iron 45 deg elbows look like the weak spot on that design. Keep an eye on them.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
If it's the setup I think it is on that page and it's all steel/cast iron there is no way you are going to break it. I'd be much more worried about the wall mounting.

I would hazard to guess it'll take a few hundred pounds to strip the threads, probably a lot more. I would only be worried about bending if the pipe(s) do not return to their original shape.

enwar3

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
My bar is very similar to those on the page except the two pipes that connect to the actual bar I grab onto are about twice as long (longer lever arm = more force on the other side) so I'm wondering if it'll make enough of a difference to get me hurt.

Maybe I'll get some shorter pipe from the store but I think my pipes are already screwed in too tightly and I probably can't unscrew them... =( anybody know how to unscrew pipes?

enwar3

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
Any other advice before I put this thing into use and possibly kill myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.