How much engine damage can you do if you leave the oil cap off?

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
So I added about a quart of oil to my Camry. I left the cap on the top of the battery and closed the hood. Drove around with it for a few days and noticed a oil smell but wasn't quite sure where it was coming from. I thought maybe that some oil might have gotten on the exhaust and was burning. I popped my hood and realized my stupid mistake. I replaced the cap and test the oil level (good level at full). I didn't notice any oil spilled out or on the inside of the hood etc.

Kushina

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2010
Should be fine, I don't know for as a fact but I'm pretty sure the oil pump removes air pockets if they are there as the oil is pumped into the engine area. Take the cap off and see if you find any debree that you can take out, I'd say do another drain and fill just to clean it out incase.

Take what I say with a grain of salt I'm not an engineer, just a guy that does alot of DIY and looks into various components and how they work as I go along.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
If you're not losing oil from it, I would think the worst thing that could happen is contamination. I'd check the oil level and maybe get a chance if you're worried about anything getting inside.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Replace oil cap. Check oil level. If low, add.

We're all guilty of this at least once in our lives.

Reactions: Mopar4life

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
What Ferzerp said. The oil pickup tube in the oil pan usually has a strainer on it, and remember there's an oil filter for a reason.

Even a little moisture and dirt won't do much.

davidgraef

Jan 19, 2019
I did the same thing to my Echo and the check engine light came on and the computer gave me error code P0171 - are they related with the air getting in? Is it safe to drive and the system will work the air pockets out?

Thanks in advance,

David Graef

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So, steppinthrax, still got the same car?
How's it running? did you wind up having any problems with the engine over the last 4 years?

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
So, steppinthrax, still got the same car?
How's it running? did you wind up having any problems with the engine over the last 4 years?
Lol

Wow this is an old thread. Yeah it has 208 miles and looks ragged to hell. In the market for a Prius. But nothing wrong with the Camry other than cosmetic and general age.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

Reactions: BurnItDwn

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Lol

Wow this is an old thread. Yeah it has 208 miles and looks ragged to hell. In the market for a Prius. But nothing wrong with the Camry other than cosmetic and general age.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk
Nice, those things are built very well. Good luck on your Prius hunt.

Joebklyn

Dec 27, 2018
I once checked the oil in my car before going on a 300 mile trip. I forgot to put the cap on. Got off the highway, 1st stop of the trip and I smelled it. Drove to an auto parts store. I was 1.5qts low, filled it to the proper level and got a new cap. No damage except ego.