How much does UPS Next Day Air or FedEx Priority overnight cost for companies?

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
The cost to ship overnight by UPS or FedEx for non-account holding consumers is about two to two hand half times the cost of shipping by Postal Service Express Mail, but companies almost always use FedEx or UPS.

If they are a volume ground shippers, how much discount do they get on their ocassional overnight shipments?

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Because companies want tracking, accountability, quality? That isn't found at the USPS.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Yeap. And USPS does not ship hazardous or regulated materials either.

herbiehancock

May 11, 2006
Originally posted by: NeoPTLD
The cost to ship overnight by UPS or FedEx for non-account holding consumers is about two to two hand half times the cost of shipping by Postal Service Express Mail, but companies almost always use FedEx or UPS.

If they are a volume ground shippers, how much discount do they get on their ocassional overnight shipments?

The answer isn't quite so easily given as UPS, and I'm using them because I'm more familiar with them than FedEx in the corp. world, has a tiered system for companies. The company's rates are based upon what the company can commit to as the amount they guarantee to ship with UPS on a monthly/quarterly/yearly basis.

My company allows its employees to ship under their UPS contracted pricing structure. So we can ship packages and we get charged what the company would for a similar weighing package.

Notice I didn't mention size anywhere. That's because size is immaterial for most larger companies and their shipping contracts with UPS.

Here's a case in point with a package I shipped a while ago. I sold an original Schwinn Sting-Ray bicycle online to a fellow in Colorado. I'm in Georgia. The bike was partially disassembled and packed quite well in a standard sized bicycle box......a box that falls in the Oversize 1 shipping cost structure for non-corp. clients. The packed bicycle and box weighed 38#. I paid $13 and change to ship it ground via UPS. Compare that rate to Oversize 1 for a regular off-the-street Joe shipper.

As for overnight......well, we rarely had to use that. But I have used 2-day via UPS, and the cost was typically only a dollar or two over the ground cost. A 4 pound package anywhere in the U.S. will cost me under $5, two-day is under $6-7.

Corporate clients get a huge discount, but a lot of the discount the company gets depends upon the volume the company can guarantee being shipped via UPS.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Kinda what herbie said above. A lot of their rate they get charged depends the contract terms negotiated when they originally sealed the deal, so to speak. Different companies have different rates depending on estimated volume of shipping, etc.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
due to they type of packages we ship, i believe UPS switched us to volume rates vs. weight rates as herbie talked about

i think this is because our packages tend to be fairly large for their weight

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Because companies want tracking, accountability, quality? That isn't found at the USPS.

Except for Express Mail.