How much does the average clutch job cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My normal mechanic quoted me $260 for parts and $550 for labor, including flywheel resurfacing. Seems a little high. Whats the going rate for a replacement?

Car is a 2000 Celica GT-S.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
5.5 hours for labor doesn't sound too bad. Parts-wise it looks good to me if it includes everything (clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, flywheel bolts).

ZV

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: BD2003
My normal mechanic quoted me $260 for parts and $550 for labor, including flywheel resurfacing. Seems a little high. Whats the going rate for a replacement?

Car is a 2000 Celica GT-S.

Buy your own parts online. I would say his price is slightly high, but reasonable considering it is FWD and will take some time...

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
$800 was what it cost me to replace my clutch at 90k miles in my integra

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Sounds about right but as mariok suggested, you can probably save on the parts.

How many miles?

I had 120K on my Integra with the original clutch and it was still pretty strong.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Its at about 98k and I drive a lot of city miles. Its started slipping, so it's time has definitely come.

The parts include everything needed for the replacement and the resurfacing I know the mechanic well enough to know he's not going to screw me, but 5.5 hours seems like a really long time for it though? I've considered buying my own parts, but I'm worried I might not get the right thing or not get everything needed.

But general consensus is sounds about right? I dunno why I thought it would be any cheaper...

imported_K3N

Golden Member
Dec 20, 2005
when it comes to replacing the clutch it takes along time compared to other parts like brake. If you were to do it yourself it would probably take you all day and you could risk messing up your car..

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
The clutch is really buried. 5.5 hours isn't hard to believe. In my car it's even worse, but MR2s are notoriously difficult to service. I was getting quotes from $800-1500. I ended up doing it myself for the cost of parts, but it took BLOODY AGES and I ended up dropping the whole engine.

GoatMonkey

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
My friend recently got a new clutch in his Ranger with 4wd. It was around $1k, so that seems pretty reasonable.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Fair price. I would also recommend letting the mechanic supply the parts....if they give any trouble, he'll likely warranty any parts he provided. If you provide the parts, you'll be to pay him to do the work again, and the parts store will not reimburse you. You aren't going to save that much, anyway.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Yeah, nothing a mechanic likes more that a customer that supplies his own parts. If you came to me with parts, I'd tell you to go ahead and finish the job.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
On a front wheel drive car, that is pretty cheap. I have done clutches
myself on rear drive RX-7 (1980) and I know how much work that was.
And front wheel drive is much harder to get to. Make sure he installs
New Throwout Bearing and a New Pilot Bearing .. also if the clutch has
a Hydraulic Slave Cylinder, have it rebuilt and Flush the Clutch fluid.
It is the same as brake fluid and absorbs moisture with time.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
New clutch on a front wheel drive in 5.5 hours. That sounds pretty damn quick to me. Don't you have to drop the engine so that you can separate the tranny from the block? That seems pretty involved to me.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Not on all cars ... on my GM Grand Prix they took out the transmission
an automatic, without touching the engine. Just lower the transmission
cradle. But it does need to be on a shop post type lift as it is next to
impossible in a driveway.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
FWD cars involve removing the transmission side wheel hub and brake assembly and axle so that you can separate the transmission from the engine and get to the clutch (think of the axles on either side, fixed in their wheel hubs "pinching" the tranny in place and not allowing side to side movement). Not only that but that naturally pulls the other axle out from the other side and leaks 90 weight all over the place.

Basically you end up tearing down a whole wheel well just to slide the tranny back a few inches. Pretty labor intensive compared to RWD where you just drop the drive shaft and pull the tranny back.

I'd suggest doing the CV boots too while the axles are out at this point to consolidate labor and save money in the long run.

justinba454

Sep 29, 2013
If you use a mechanic, make sure they're licensed.. That way if you get faulty parts the store or manuf. would have to pay cost. Been through all this with a transmission.

---

Hi,

Welcome to AnandTech Forums. I locked the thread because the last previous reply was almost six years ago.

Our members refer to such posts as "necro" posts, and some of them tend to post replies ranging from sarcastic to hostile, including possible accusations of spamming, whether warranted or not.

You are welcome to continue posting on our forums. Thanks for understanding. We hope you enjoy yourself on our forums. :)

Harvey
Senior AnandTech Moderator/Administrator

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.