how much does H&R block charge

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
sorry if this is a repost

i am a 24 year old single male, i have no clue about taxes, besides knowing that i pay frickiin 23% (ferengi :D), how much do you think some place like H&R block would charge, i am not sure if i want to do it through turbo tax or some software on my own

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
most tax preperation is charged per form

so if you only need a 1040A , it will be relatively inexpensive

if you need to add a schedule A , C and more and more forms , then it starts adding up

simple returns at a place like that range from just under $100 to a bit over (again, if you only need 1-2 forms filled out)

i don't know if CPA's charge by time or some other method

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: kalster

i am a 24 year old single male, i have no clue about taxes, besides knowing that i pay frickiin 23% (ferengi :D), how much do you think some place like H&R block would charge, i am not sure if i want to do it through turbo tax or some software on my own

Someone in your shoes should be able to do their taxes in about 2 minutes using the 1040 EZ form.

Sysadmin

cheapgoose

Diamond Member
May 13, 2002
i file online for free with H&R, I'm a student and make way less than 34k a year so it's free. state tax however is about $15 to file.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Too much.

i hope you enjoy the feeling of a sore ass if you go into h&R block. They love making money on simple tax returns :) All they do is the same thing as turbotax or taxcut anyway plugging in the same crap on boxes as you can. Taxcut/turbotax are capable of doing fairly complex taxes (very complex I'd take to an accountant - and not H&R block), but simple ones you're just throwing money in the toilet if you pay somebody to do it for you. Hell, why not yourself? Just download the 1040ez form and the instructions from www.irs.gov. It's pretty easy.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Sysadmin
Originally posted by: kalster

Someone in your shoes should be able to do their taxes in about 2 minutes using the 1040 EZ form.

Sysadmin