how much does an eye exam cost?

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
usually when i get my glasses, the eye exam price is bundled into the total price, so i don't know how much of the price is for the exam. right now, i am thinking about getting contacts. my friend who works at lenscrafters told me that he doesn't get a discount for contacts, and that they're cheaper if i buy them online. i guess i just need to get an eye exam from the store... then order the contacts online. my friend told me that the exam at lenscrafters costs $70, and that it's probably cheaper is i went to chinatown or some mom & pop shop. so i'm just wondering how much an eye exam costs you guys.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Alchemist99
Costco=$45

can i get an eye exam at costco without being a member? i know a friend who has a costco membership :D

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I'm pretty sure it would cost me $10.... I'm sure it says in the big giant pile of papers that I got when I signed up for my insurance.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: DaWhim
FREE in Hong Kong :)
I used to go in with friends and check our eyes just for fun :(

but the plane ticket would cost around $1000 :(

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: spanky

hope for the SARS...it was $500 for a round-trip

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: spanky

hope for the SARS...it was $500 for a round-trip

so u know the airline companies r working round the clock on a cure for sars now :p

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Alchemist99
Costco=$45

Yeah, it's $45 at Costco if you're getting an eye exam FOR GLASSES. An exam for CONTACTS costs $65 at my local Costco.

I've been wearing contacts for like six years. Last year I went in to get a new prescription for glasses. It's my first new pair of glasses in like eight years. I filled out the forms and the optometrist saw that my contact lens prescription is like four years old. The guy went off on a rant about how online contact lens sales are breaking the law in selling me an illegal prescription. I wondered if the guy was listening to himself. Illegal contact lenses??!

Anyway, I kept my mouth shut and he worked out the prescription for my glasses. Know what? The prescription is EXACTLY the same as the one I got eight years ago... which was exactly the same as the one I got four years before that. I felt justified in using my four year old contact lens prescription... and I'm still doing it!

Online contacts are awesome. "Illegal contacts" my a$$!

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
For those that use Costco, if you get the contacts exam, can you get an eyeglasses prescription too while they are at it? Or do you have to pay 35 + 65 if you want both at the same time?

I've been wearing contacts for about 5 years now, but am still using the same pair of glasses from before I started wearing contacts. I don't wear them often, just usually on weekends when I am staying in all day and giving my eyes a breather from the contacts. But I can tell the prescriptions aren't the same. I don't have a valid prescription for either anymore and would like to get them both up to date.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Contact exams run from $40 to $180 here.

A contact lens exam should also include an eyeglass prescription (not the glasses for free)