How much do you use sound in multiplayer FPSes?

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
I remember playing ET with headphones on back in the day and running through areas listening more than looking; even getting accused of hacking because my supposed ability to see through walls. I haven't really played online FPSes since ET. Is a good sound setup important these days?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Absolutely... The only mp game I play is UT2k4, but I'd say I use my ears as much as my eyes. I have a 5.1 speaker setup, and the couple of times I used headphones it negatively affected my game. The positional accuracy just wasn't there with the headphones.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Incredibly important. With my X-Fi and Medusa 5.1's playing BF2, I can hear people coming up behind me, climbing up a ladder, on the other side of a wall which direction they're going, etc...

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
I use it a lot in CS:S. Not as much in TF2, just not really as important. In CS:S, you can watch some people playing and be amazed at their either a) lack of sound or b) inability to interpret the footsteps coming up behind them (when theyre the last alive on the team) as something they should pay attention to.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Sound in CS (1.6 or Source, moreso in Source) is really important, especially on close-combat and indoor maps like cs_office.

natep

Sep 27, 2005
i find it important in TF2. there are a lot of sound bytes from the character classes that give info on what is going on. it would also be really hard to stop spies as an engineer w/o that sapper *bzzzzt* noise. the fact that the sentries *beeP* when you are seen helps too, since you can just step backward whenever you hear it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: lxskllr
Absolutely... The only mp game I play is UT2k4, but I'd say I use my ears as much as my eyes. I have a 5.1 speaker setup, and the couple of times I used headphones it negatively affected my game. The positional accuracy just wasn't there with the headphones.

My headphones have positioning so I can usually tell where a sound is coming from even with them on. If I couldn't, I'd definitely be worse as you describe.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
footsteps don't seem to be in games any more or they're just too quiet to hear if they are there.

i don't think sound plays as much a role as it could though.

Ctrackstar126

Jul 14, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex
footsteps don't seem to be in games any more or they're just too quiet to hear if they are there.

i don't think sound plays as much a role as it could though.

I can hear footsteps but its usually if you in a more quite area. I have dt770s paired with an x-fi and they have saved me time to time. Does it give me an edge every time I play definitely not but there are times where because of them I was able to get the jump on someone.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
All my fps's I use sound all the time. Logitech Z-5500 5.1.....and its at half volume. :)

I just have to hear to play properly

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Sound is great in many games. I use it all the time in BF2. Unfortunately, I don't have a 5.1 setup - just a nice 2.1 and headphones.

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Originally posted by: lxskllr

My headphones have positioning so I can usually tell where a sound is coming from even with them on. If I couldn't, I'd definitely be worse as you describe.

what kind of headphones do you have and do you have any recommendations? i think soemthing like that would be a good idea for me rather than getting a new set of 5.1 speakers since i'm perfectly happy with my z-2300s for everything else.

imported_sushicide

Jun 20, 2005
Sound was very very useful in CS, especially during beta when you can still hear the other team's radio message. I find myself not really caring that much about sound anymore since alot of FPS games nowdays have too many damn people on a map to differentiate friends from foes.

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
I play with music on in CS. But im not one of the idiots that put MUSIC in there name. Those guys piss me off.

Stas

Dec 31, 2004
Important in Q3 Deathmatches and CS:S. In Q3 you can hear sombody grab armor from half the map away; A humming noise gives a rail gun away (useful to know :D). In CS:S detecting footsteps is probably 30% of successful pwnage.

omber

Oct 17, 2007
I need sound for CSS - you can tell what surface someone is on so you can more or less pinpoint just by hearing it plus my headphones are 5 channel so I get extra directivity from that..

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Being more auditory than visual... I use sound extensively, often to the point of being called a hacker :p

j0j081

Banned
Aug 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Spartan Niner
Being more auditory than visual... I use sound extensively, often to the point of being called a hacker :p

yeah when I used to play CS:S I got accused of wallhacking all the time because my headphones are really good with directional sound and I'd hear people coming all the time and get in perfect position to kill them easily.

clipperfixer

Mar 15, 2005
I play SOF2 online, I don't use the sound packs, and I have a sniper sound mod that shuts down all the sounds EXCEPT the important ones, footsteps, guns reloading, pickups, bullets , etc and my favorite the lovely sound of snipers using goggles :) if you hear the goggles squeal they are very close, shotty time :) I just use a set of Sony in the ear type headphones, very comfortable, and good sound, only 2.1 though.