How much do you think this will go for?

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Pray To Jesus, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Pray To Jesus

Pray To Jesus Diamond Member

2. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

Heh. I realize that's an insane amount of stuff, but what kind of idiot sets the opening bid over half a million dollars?

3. purbeast0

purbeast0 Lifer

what a waste. i don't think he will even sell it.

4. Dumac

Dumac Diamond Member

Wow that is an enormous collection. Who would buy that? A video game museum?

5. Drako

Drako Lifer

A delusional idiot?

6. ghost recon88

ghost recon88 Diamond Member

Hole-e chit!

I wonder what he did for a job when he had a life?

7. smackababy

smackababy Lifer

I think it is funny that he wants half a million dollars for what I can fit in a $55 HDD. While his collections IS impressive, it is worthless. I'd give him $100 if he paid for shipping costs. Nobody with that kind of money gives a crap about having all that. They'd get more enjoyment out of a Lambo and still have over $100,000 left over for strippers and coke.

He also said he "choosed" something, and therefore will not sell a thing.

8. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

Wow. I wonder if my collection of all things video games, if organized properly, would look something like that.

9. Soundmanred

Soundmanred Lifer

10. waggy

waggy No Lifer

I would buy it. he just needs to drop it a little say $549,999,000 then we can talk.

11. JujuFish

JujuFish Diamond Member

12. ImpulsE69

ImpulsE69 Lifer

While alot of ppl here are knocking it, you KNOW that if he was selling all this separately, tons of you would be all over it ;p There's alot of collectors here.

He probably COULD sell a majority of it if he sold it separately, but what a PITA that would be to do.

13. Fardringle

Fardringle Diamond Member

I don't think anyone is "knocking" his collection, or that he wants to sell it. Just the ridiculously high starting bid that is about 1000 times higher than the actual value of the collection.

14. KentState

KentState Diamond Member

He really needs to itemize the list with estimated trade-in prices. Then open up the bidding at 1/4 of the trade-in value at most. The only ones interested in the collection is someone that has money to blow on a "collection" or someone that can individually sell the stuff in a store.

15. Soundmanred

Soundmanred Lifer

This thread is a repost, the one I linked is over a week old.

16. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Thing that strikes me about that collection is he has some limited production hardware that was very niche like drum mania.

Aside from that and a few hard to get titles with the box like earthbound for SNES, it's a generic collection of games with many being junk and a lot of useless junk hardware.

He does have the Zelda edition 3ds there though.

17. mmntech

mmntech Lifer

There's no way he was going to sell this as a single lot on eBay. Most people go there looking some something specific. Nobody's going to plop down half a mil on a bunch of video games. Now a lot like that would interest retro game stores but eBay isn't the first place they'll look.

Besides, despite it being a big haul with some gems in there, it's definitely overvalued. Maybe a fifth of that price and I'm being generous.

#17 mmntech, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  18. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

To sell this collection you need to find a good auction house that will advertise to the right groups and then they take 30%.

19. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

Earthbound is NOT rare or hard to find, its just popularly overpriced.

20. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

Look again genius.

21. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

I don't know much about this stuff but assume it's worth somewhere in the 5 digits. He has a LOT of stuff there. Of course a ton of old shit, too, but seems like a lot of collectors' items and it would be good in a gaming museum (they do exist, rarely). He's certainly put tens of thousands into it.

My guess is he got married, had a kid, and his wife told him to dump this stuff. A guy who's buying three game boy advances simply to have them in different colors is really beyond collecting and into hording IMO. I realize it's a gray area differentiating.

#21 Doppel, Feb 18, 2013
  22. ImpulsE69

ImpulsE69 Lifer

I've no clue what it's worth, but if it truly is overvalued, it probably means he doesn't really want to sell it, but if he got that out of it he'd be willing to part with it.

23. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

With the original box and booklet?

24. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

Yeah. Even complete its actually fairly common, people just think it's rare because it's priced so high.

Complete = box, tray, bag, cart, book with intact scratch and sniff stickers, and reg card.

#24 exdeath, Feb 18, 2013
  25. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

Well, 150,000 copies were produced for the US market, probably 2/3rds of those sold through. One must imagine that a typical SNES box/manual retention rate was something like 15% (most people threw them away along the way), so a loose estimate would be something like 15,000 copies of EB initially survived the first little bit. Give attrition over the years to things like kid getting older and leaving for college, and mom throwing the stuff away or sending it off to storage never to be seen again, and maybe 7,500 or so are in the hands of collectors.

So it's decently rare, but there are less common games out there that don't demand the same kind of attention. There's a certain hype attached to it, sort of like Stadium Events. As a game, Stadium Events is mediocre at best, and can be had with a slightly different label for pennies. But it's pretty rare and is mentioned often as a hard-to-get NES piece, so the prices are astronomic for it. There are other NES games with the same rarity level that sell for a good deal less just due to less hype.